Al Franken Fights for Net Neutrality

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really political at all. Full disclosure of course, we all know I'm a liberal and a supporter of Franken. That being said, the issue of net neutrality is really a no brainer for us geeky types. I don't want my internet screwed over. Wouldn't mind if ppl signed this and tweeted/facebooked it.

http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/splash/fccopenletter

Doesn't mean you support Al on all his stances (hell, even I don't do that). Just this one. Sadly, him and Senator Sanders are pretty much the only Senators even talking about this issue. Also, if this thread goes off topic or descends into pointless bickering, you know what will happen :p This is really a non-partisan good for consumers issue.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really political at all. Full disclosure of course, we all know I'm a liberal and a supporter of Franken. That being said, the issue of net neutrality is really a no brainer for us geeky types. I don't want my internet screwed over. Wouldn't mind if ppl signed this and tweeted/facebooked it.

http://www.alfranken.com/index.php/splash/fccopenletter

Doesn't mean you support Al on all his stances (hell, even I don't do that). Just this one. Sadly, him and Senator Sanders are pretty much the only Senators even talking about this issue. Also, if this thread goes off topic or descends into pointless bickering, you know what will happen :p This is really a non-partisan good for consumers issue.
The Republicans in the lower house are starting to build steam against the FCC's plan to enforce net neutrality. If I recall correctly they plan on hitting it two ways, reminding the FCC that it lacks the power to do so by legislating against the plan, and then using oversight to question why they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. On the other hand, the FCC does have the job of making sure mergers like this can't happen. I remember watching Franken's speech on CSPAN, and while I oppose most of his positions this one I agree with whole heartedly. Net Neutrality cannot be enforced by the heavy hand of government, that's not neutrality, but it does need to remain neutral through the actions of the corporations involved. If the corporations need to be broken up to be reminded of this, then so be it. Allowing a major content provider to become the largest ISP starts to blur the lines between what gets made and how it gets delivered which only screws over people who pay for Hulu or Netflix. NBC is already a money whore, and causes problems for people who want to access their content without a cable connection or an antenna. I don't want to buy an ep on iTunes, I want to watch it commercial supported like I could on the airwaves. When they have skin in the internet game, I worry what they might try and pull. Similarly, I can see comcast causing issues for ABC, CBS content, or restricting access to NBC from Verizon, AT&T or Roadrunner.

Signed on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom