Akira to...make new DBZ chapters.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/25/the-return-of-dragon-ball/

Crank up the Bleeding Cool servers folks. This morning we received word that Shueisha Publishing Company of Tokyo has convinced legendary manga creator Akira Toriyama to come back and restart the Dragon Ball comics franchise.

Dragon Ball (also known as Dragon Ball Z) is one of the most lucrative comic book franchises in the world. Initially serialised from 19984 to 1995 in Shonen Jump, it has spun off successful animated TV series and films. It has sold well over 150 million copies of the collected volumes. But since then, the creator has only returned to the well for comics once, for a one-off crossover with One Piece. His other works have been shorter, more personal pieces, though he has continues to oversee new animations, and his studio are working on a Dragon Ball Online MMORG for release soon.

And itย’s in that environment that Akira Toriyama has been persuaed to return to creating new chapters. Partly to help promote the game, partly to earn the boat load of cash he has been promised.

Something that will make this event even more spectacular is a simultaneous fully translated worldwide launch of the new book.

The manga industry needs a boost right now. Can you think or any better way?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, if it was you, and they promised to pay you like 25,000,000$, would you say no? Bullcrap, I would.

Former Forcepit Member :(
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
money is not everything i would say no

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry, I call bull****.

You can say that when it's not you.

But let's say they hand you that check for 25 Million Dollars, and all you have to do is a write a few chapters. I doubt anyone wouldn't take that offer. There is no reason not too. Alot of fans are happy as hell about this, Akira feels he can write again, he wasn't pressured by some studio, so it'll be high quality.

Be interesting to see how the Father of the Modern Action anime stacks up these days.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd also be against this. If it's to help promote a game, it's probably going to tie in with it a little - which doesn't normally work well. There's also considering that DB has been done to death, story-wise there's nowhere to go. Unless he goes for a new cast and then it's still likely to follow the same formula.

However, Akira Toriyama's calling the shots, there's a lot of money to be made. It'd probably be passable, not great, and most fans will probably be OK with it. I'm afraid that Anime has moved on though, he's probably then grandfather of modern Anime now.

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I wonder if this means that we'll be getting DBO out of Korea.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, if it was you, and they promised to pay you like 25,000,000$, would you say no? Bullcrap, I would.
Yes i would take the check and do it. But im not the creator. Im a fan and as a fan i want the milking to finally end.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, but we can't ask him to throw away oodles of cash for "creative integrity"

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry but if its to promote this ****ty as game then, I am completely against it. But if its just to make money.. I am completely against it. The only part I like about this is hopefully it will make GT look even less canon.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Not sure if I can take this seriously until I see it from more sources first.

Former Forcepit Member :(
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
+1 Reputation for beaing absolutily right

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really crazy about DB, but it'll be something to read. Nice.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm up for reading it as long as it's better than GT. AFAIK Dragon Ball Online's backstory isn't (yet) considered completely canon, even though Akira Toriyama was confirmed to have been involved in the making of the plot. If this project really will be done, I wonder how canon will it be in relation to the original Dragon Ball.

VegettoEX @ DaizenshuuEX.com said:
Was wondering how long it would take someone to post about this here :).

No sources cited in the article. E-mailed article's author for more information -- no response yet. No news floating around Japanese blogs about an announcement like this. No announcements on the relevant corporate sites.

Needless to say, we haven't "reported" on this yet, and won't unless there's actually something of substance to say. Right now, there isn't. I'd love to eat my shorts, but right now they're doing just fine far, far away from my mouth.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
This is probably false. I mean some american (atleast i assume it's american) website "received word" that Toriyama is makin new DB chapters? By whom? And why Bleeding Cool? There's no word about it on Daizenshuu EX(except a one sided forum discussion). Also Toriyama probably already forgot half of the main characters due to his... well.. forgetfulness(remember Tao Pai Pai? xD)

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Am i the only one wanting this? This isn't some fan-made manga, nor is it funimation or Namco milking the series dry. If this news is indeed true, its Akira himself thats going to make the manga. Thats originality right there.

Then again i want him to restart DBZ with younger characters, like near the end of Dragonball. Continuing with what it is now would be too much. They are way too powerful, you lose 90% of the character development right there.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry but if its to promote this ****ty as game then, I am completely against it. But if its just to make money.. I am completely against it. The only part I like about this is hopefully it will make GT look even less canon.
he cant just write off GT like it never happened. Regardless what the fans think of it or the circumstances, he wrote it, it went to TV, it is now part of the DB universe.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
he cant just write off GT like it never happened. Regardless what the fans think of it or the circumstances, he wrote it, it went to TV, it is now part of the DB universe.
He didn't write it, Toei did. He just gave them the green light for doing it, which is kinda bad as it is.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Toriyama allowed the use of his characters for GT. That's it.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Thus doesn't that make it Non-canon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom