Akira - Live Action Movie?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Leonardo DiCaprio is to produce a live-action version of anime classic Akira, according to Hollywood Reporter.

The 1988 Japanese film was considered to be a groundbreaking piece of animation, co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo.

It is set in 2019 in post-nuclear war New Tokyo where a biker gains super powers after being subjected to experiments.

Warner Bros is aiming for a release in 2009, it is reported.

Unlike the original, the new movie will be set in New Manhattan, a city rebuilt with Japanese cash.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7257246.stm

Anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners. Otomo is executive producing. Legendary Pictures is co-financing.

Whitta, repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, wrote "The Book of Eli," which the Hughes Brothers are directing for Warners and Silver Pictures.

"Akira" would mark the feature directorial debut for Robinson who was nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2001 for a sci-fi comedy called "Fifty Percent Grey." He also wrote and directed a sci-fi short titled "The Silent City." Robinson is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i1afdf3970176b31535ab928b875958d1

The Hollywood Reporter and Variety entertainment trade periodicals both report that Warner Brothers and Appian Way, the production company of actor Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Aviator), will adapt Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga into two live-action films. Each film will cover three volumes of the renowned science-fiction manga about a governmental genetic project and a teenager's attempt to save a fellow biker gang member.

The manga set in Neo-Tokyo, a city rebuilt after being destroyed in a mysterious explosion. Otomo directed his own animated film adaptation that premiered on July 16, 1988 — the same day that the story has the fictional Tokyo being destroyed. The first live-action film is scheduled for release in the summer of 2009 and will move the story's setting to "'New Manhattan,' a city rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago."

Ireland's Ruairi Robinson will be making his feature directorial debut with this project, and Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing a script. Warner Brothers once had the film rights for Akira before, but Executive Vice-President Greg Silverman (300, Batman Begins) had to re-acquire them from Kodansha after a round of pitched bidding that reached seven figures. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar, DiCaprio, and Appian Way's Jennifer Davisson will produce. No announcement has been made regarding the cast.

Update: The free version of Hollywood Reporter's article is now active, and more information about the original manga and anime adaptation have been added.

Update 2: The Hollywood Reporter's article added a picture of the Akira character from CAPCOM's Rival School (Rival Gakuen) videogames. This Akira character is entirely unrelated to either Katsuhiro Otomo's manga or the planned live-action movies. Robinson directed "The Silent City" short with Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins' Scarecrow) and the Oscar-nominated "Fifty Percent Grey" animated short. Whitta was the editor-in-chief of PC Gamer magazine and the writer of the comic-book adaptation of the Death Jr. videogame.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...eonardo-dicaprio-to-produce-akira-live-action

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dear god no!!!

The anime akira is a classic for me as it was what drove me to watch anime back in the later 80s early 90's to now. If the movie turns out to be a flop I'll be super pissed but probably I will not go see it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This could be the easiest movie they ever made. Just remake the movie scene for scene, line by line. Don't need scriptwriters or any of that because its all done already.

However this will probably never get made and if it does it will be a ****ty teen love story where everything turns out super swell and theres kittens and puppies and everybody frolics in a field of flowers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's definitely going to be changed a lot I feel, but DiCaprio is on it so I kinda have faith. He's become a great actor since Titanic.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DiCaprio?

i don't think I've ever seen a movie with him in it that i thought was good and im sure its because hes the worst actor ive ever seen.

thats just my opinion. if hes in it, the movie will suck. thats a basic rule of life at this point.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you seen "blood diamond"? If not, go see it now and tell me about DiCaprio then. How about "The Departed" too?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive seen the departed, still disliked his acting.

havent seen blood diamond. probably wont, so i guess ill take your word on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno if he's produced other movies before, but I don't know why ya'll are ragging on his acting. I think he's a great actor. I never saw Titanic and I hope to keep it that way, but even in Romeo and Juliet he was pretty good and that was a long time ago.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in Romeo and Juliet he was pretty good
Hahahahahaha

oh man thats a good one..

god warn me before you say things like that next time you almost made soda come out of my nose

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Watch them ruin this. DiCaprio? Unless he's secretly a total Anime buff, and knows what he's doing, this is doomed.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
I get the feeling that this won't end well.

Why must people always want to make live action movies out of anime and games? History shows that they rarely turn out good.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cause they put Angelina Jolie is skin tight clothing and called it Tomb Raider

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Unlike the original, the new movie will be set in New Manhattan, a city rebuilt with Japanese cash.
Alright what the hell....that just doesn't turn me on. I dunno why, but New Manhattan hardly seems an appropriate place for Akira to go on in. Why not just leave it in Tokyo?

And I think that, like any other live action movie based on an anime/manga, it won't do the original movie any justice whatsoever. Akira is fine as it is now, no need to butcher it with live action.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright what the hell....that just doesn't turn me on. I dunno why, but New Manhattan hardly seems an appropriate place for Akira to go on in. Why not just leave it in Tokyo?

And I think that, like any other live action movie based on an anime/manga, it won't do the original movie any justice whatsoever. Akira is fine as it is now, no need to butcher it with live action.
They need a reason to be able to use Anglo actors

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom