Aim for the Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm starting to like the pen tool. Never really used it that much, but it allows for some cool stuff. I cropped this one into a signature since I like it myself. Tell me what you think. :scared:

Best answers
The stars stand out, because they look to plain. So they don't really fit in with the rest. Try giving them a little colour variations between each other or maybe a slight rotation. At least something to make it less monotone.

Still i like it. You should def. use it as a sig.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like the color layout at all... it's simply ugly and doesn't match.

Best answers
The colour scheme is a little garish, but not too bad.

Lately there is a kind of trend in graphic design to use the kind of abstract swirls you have included, the kind of free flowing lines.

This kind of pop-art is so prevalent in web-design/advertising, that I cant help but cringe everytime I see it used.

Keep it if you like it, but I've seen enough of this motif to make me sick.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is about the second time I even touched the pen tool so it's not entirely my fault. :(

Best answers
Yeah, sorry

I'm always over critical whenever it comes to stuff like that :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah it's okay, I'd rather you be critical than say nothing at all. So it's a bit trendwhore-ish, I got bored of my old style and the pen tool needed some practice so.. But thanks for commenting. :)

Best answers
The colour scheme is a little garish, but not too bad.

Lately there is a kind of trend in graphic design to use the kind of abstract swirls you have included, the kind of free flowing lines.

This kind of pop-art is so prevalent in web-design/advertising, that I cant help but cringe everytime I see it used.

Keep it if you like it, but I've seen enough of this motif to make me sick.
It isn't pop-art, it's trendwhore.

Pop-art is reproduction of popular themes, can be photocollage, negative views on the consumersociety, etcetc.

This is just simple trendwhoring. Abstract swirls, shapes, random lines, no balance, no structure.. Just stuff thrown together because "it looked nice" and because everybody does it.

Ofcourse, no bad talk about abstract art, Pollock did a great job with abstract stuff, even some unknown e-artists create awesome abstract artwork.. But this one just isn't right for the reasons mentioned above and by other people.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sweet Jesus so much for positive criticism. Listen, I know it's a bit "trendwhoring" but come on, I said from the beginning it was practice because I've hardly ever used the pen tool. Look, don't take this personally because I do value your opinion just as much as the next guy, but it seems you make a habit out of purposefully posting the negative stuff you want to say once every while instead of giving a positive comment somewhere in between. I appreciate that you at least post though, but it wouldn't hurt for you to post some art yourself so other people can see how it's done (not trendwhore-ish full of balance and structure). Again, please don't take this personally. I just feel like nothing you just said helps me to improve what I posted.

Best answers
What if there isn't really anything positive to say? Really, I've seen some art of you and most of them I like, this one's just an empty shell, it has nothing to offer the viewer.

And the reason why I don't post here is because I'm a cartoonist and designer. I do the lay-out of pages, posters, flyers, books, magazines,. I create small comics and cartoons. Kinda hard to post books, posters etc here.. And I should edit loads of my comics to make them fit for this board since it contains nasty language and somewhat disturbing graphics at times.. Also, I tend to balance on the edge of being funny vs. being rude and 90% of the people here would find most of my comics offensive.
That leaves me with about nothing to show.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What if there isn't really anything positive to say? Really, I've seen some art of you and most of them I like, this one's just an empty shell, it has nothing to offer the viewer.

Heh, I really see the same thing with you all the time.

You are a great artist Bolteh, you know how to make pretty things, (beautiful even).

However the way you treat others who haven't had classes in art, is far from beautiful, you treat them as if they have a lower rank then you, and "how they dare to post rubbish like this" on the forums.

Maybe I'm all wrong, but that is the way you are treating most people who aren't great at art, no wait.. who aren't as good as you, everybody who makes a sketch, everybody who makes a sig, but isn't really great at it, only gets stomped in the ground by you, probably hoping they won't ever dare to try it again.

You seem to forget that this guy probably never even been into art class (or however you name it), but ART is something you can't teach, you can't really say "I have learned art on school therefore I rock and you suck".

I dunno, it just annoys the hell out of me.

I actually like that sig, sure it has been done before, (even though I don't see much of that sort of sigs around here ._. maybe i'm blind? ), but I like it, so it does seem to offer something to the viewer.

Or maybe I have no taste?

Oh wait, that's right, we all have different tastes.

I'm gonna be sooo flamed for this... or worse

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you perhaps implying that Origin isn't good at graphics?

Best answers
Heh, I really see the same thing with you all the time.

You are a great artist Bolteh, you know how to make pretty things, (beautiful even).

However the way you treat others who haven't had classes in art, is far from beautiful, you treat them as if they have a lower rank then you, and "how they dare to post rubbish like this" on the forums.

Maybe I'm all wrong, but that is the way you are treating most people who aren't great at art, no wait.. who aren't as good as you, everybody who makes a sketch, everybody who makes a sig, but isn't really great at it, only gets stomped in the ground by you, probably hoping they won't ever dare to try it again.

You seem to forget that this guy probably never even been into art class (or however you name it), but ART is something you can't teach, you can't really say "I have learned art on school therefore I rock and you suck".

I dunno, it just annoys the hell out of me.
I have explained my harsh attitude when commenting artwork of others way too many times, but here it goes again.

If you tell people it's nice, but 'xx' and 'yy' could be better, most of the time they'll just say it's good and leave it that way, not improving it or anything. They'll just keep the level they're at and won't try to reach new heights, just because people said it's good.
If you just point out the bad stuff, they will either make it better or just quit. The ones that will make it better and follow crits, will get better over time, those who quit (or still dont follow crits (equals quiting to me)) won't be going anywhere.

All of this has nothing to do with my having a huge ego or thinking the artworld resolves around me. I'm an average artist with limited capabilities and I am aware of that. I am also aware of newcomers that didn't have any education or 'talent' (there's no such thing as talent anyway).

Anyway, this is my general look on commenting artwork. About this piece, like I've already said 2 times before, I can't say it's good, because it's not good in my eyes. It's not my taste for starters, and it's just nothing, randomly placed lines "because they looked good",no balance (very obvious in the star placement and the random curves used as background), very blurry twirls that don't fit with the sharp straight lines and stars.

I know that -Origin is a good artist, but this just isn't good. It's far below his standards and capabilities, it's a step back from what he can do.

PS: If you want to use the pen-tool, use it in Illustrator, Photoshop isn't made for vector-art.

PPS: Oh, and you're right, one can't learn art. There are people that put a blue line on a piece of paper and call it art. Some will think it's great and deep, I just think it's crap. You know what I mean? :)
I for one never learned what art is. I did, however, get hours and hours of pure theory about design, ethics, lay-out and all of that stuff. Art is supposed to be some form of freedom of speech, mental freedom, freedom to show the world how you feel or how you think, but there are still rules you need to hold you to if you want to make a strong piece, especially in (digital) abstract art.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First of all, thanks for replying in a mature way, I love a good discussion anytime so here are my two cents.

I'd like to start by saying that there must be places where you show off your art, right? I'm one of those people that relate rude or disturbing with funny quite a lot so I'm really intrigued to see some of it. Maybe there's some link around here.. where that stuff might be appreciated? o_o

Jp is right about me not following any art classes, though. Not once have I been to a class where people explain certain aspects of art to me. This is the sixth or seventh year I'm actually making art, and all of it is self taught. Not so much the techniques but the composition and trying to add a decent "flow" to whatever it is I'm making. The reason I tried to make something different for a change is because I, myself, am getting a bit tired of my old grungy style. I actually feel slightly depressed whenever I look at some of my old stuff.

If you don't like something I make, really, that's your call. I respect anyone's opinion as long as it's based on what I did or did not do. The reason I sort of jumped at you (wasn't that bad right?) is because you criticized my work by comparing it to what other people might have been doing for a lot longer. I just want to be criticized and commented based on what I made. Really, anyone can say anything about me or my art.

Getting back on my old work.. I remember posting something grungy a while back and I received some comments that it's "the same grungy style I always use". It's not fun to hear that because it's propably the one style I'm most proficient in, but it did make an alarm bell go off. I've never really tried any other styles. The biggest style change I made was with my Ghost in the Shell signatures, but those hardly received comments so I'm still not sure if they're any good or not. I rekindled my interest in Photoshop because I feel like I still have a lot to learn. And I have no problem admitting that, but how much more can I learn if I keep doing the same thing and perhaps making the same mistakes over and over? I'm just trying to keep my spirit up. Thanks again for replying in the way you did, I really appreciate it.

And Jp, thanks for the comment, it's also really appreciated.

Best answers
I honestly think Art school is one of the worst things that can happen to a person.

Its a one way ticket to an eliteist complex and a jaded outlook on anything creative.

Art is a subjective medium, Your education doesnt make your opinion even the slightest bit more valid.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's kind of interesting the title of this thread is Aim of the Stars, and we're discussing how and why we improve in a secular sense.

Either way, everyone is entitled to their opinion... whether it's what you wanted to hear or not.

Trying to confront people over it is something I will no longer tolerate in this thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No no don't get me wrong, I absolutely don't mind Bolteh or anyone not liking it, as long as it's based on what I made and not how similar it is to stuff other people have made.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like how you completely ignored what I just said.

I'm going to kill this thread before it gets out of hand.

Try not to take everything so personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom