AIM Alternatives

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I recently reformatted my computer and its running really great. Before the format I had a dated version of AIM with the DeadAIM plugin (from back before the guy decided to start charging money for it--yes, I was that far out of date).

I need a new IM client but I have absolutely NO interest in getting AIM again because of the ads and general seediness of AOL products. I know of GAIM, am not a huge fan of it, but I know it is an option; and I know of Trillian which seemed cool until I realized that it does tabbed IMs with that stupid ass 'container' thing, which totally sucks.

These are the features that are critical for me:
--I need detailed IM logging capability
--A Single tabbed window.
--The ability to IM cell phones (I used to be able to IM my girlfriend's phone by typing + in front of her number in the 'to' window, we used this a lot to make plans while at work and such so it would be good to have it again)

What I don't want:
--Annoying ads/popups
--I have a 200 person buddy list and GAIM puts a huge icon next to them all, making the list huge. I need something that will fit realistically on my 1280x1024 desktop, and will allow me to see the WHOLE list, like AIM did.
--Something that will cause problems if I run it in the background of memory-heavy applications like games.

Any suggestions?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Trillian (or Trillian Pro). Works like a charm.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the old versions of DeadAIM are still up for grabs for free somewhere. If you need the AIM compatibility, I'm sure there are lower versions of AIM around you can grab.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I like GAIM much better than any of the other IM clients I've used (and I've given just about all of them a good try).

You can make the big icons smaller by changing your preferences. In the Windows client, it's Tools->Preferences->Interface->Buddy List, uncheck the "Show Buddy Icons" checkbox. It'll make the huge icons the size of the text.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used Trillian before. It's interface was really ridiculous, I thought. I didn't like the whole "IMs within container windows" thing. Does GAIM do tabbed windows?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you can turn the container thing off, cant say i remember how though. it bugged the hell out of me at first as well

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I know you can turn it off. But can I make it have a single window with individual IM tabs afterward?

Also--Gaim has the added annoyance of making me install that GTK+ crap. I don't want that either.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use TRILLIAN PRO and love it, since I use AIM/MSN/Yahoo -- Trillian is perfect AND neat/tidy PLUS I can rename contacts so I know who the hell everyone is, instead of having tons of contacts with weird long names (ex. DragnHnter123434).
<center>
</center>

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use "AIM Ad Hack," which is just normal AIM, but they edited out all of the spyware, ads, pop-up ads, etc. They update everytime AIM updates, and unlike Trillian/Gaim/etc, you don't suffer issues with trying to directly connect to other people.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I use "AIM Ad Hack," which is just normal AIM, but they edited out all of the spyware, ads, pop-up ads, etc. They update everytime AIM updates, and unlike Trillian/Gaim/etc, you don't suffer issues with trying to directly connect to other people.

I have no problems when direct connecting with people -- Only one problem I have is with webcam on the MSN part -- I can view but can't be viewed by normal MSN people, that's it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People with routers have problems with direct connect. Is there any way to get log file going for that aim ad hack thing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPride, I also still use a very old version of AIM. If you're interested, I can upload it somewhere.

I also have an old version of DeadAIM, which works perfectly with the AIM I use, if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom