Advanced mode (new way of doing adv melee)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, after a while of playing boring 1.2 advanced melee, I got to thinking.
What would it be if I could make it better?
Well about 20 cvar edits later and then some demostrations, I have come up with a solution. I would like to call this advanced mode.

#EDIT#
I know I shouldnt edit this post, but I would like to point out that I have this file hosted on the following:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;64533
(esf-world file going to be added in a few days)

ITs a verry good edit in the fact that this almost makes advanced melee as fun as basic melee. And I do say that it makes it just about the same as an advantage to use during battle.
NOTE: this is only server side edits
This is a verry simple edit. All you do is create a file called advanced_mode.cfg(in your ESF folder) and place the following in it:
Code:
am_maxextanges 10
am_prepunch_delay 0.05
am_prepunch_delaystruggle 0.100
am_prepunch_max 18
am_prepunch_maxstun 6
am_prepunch_mincombo 3
am_skill 2
am_struggle_arrowtime 0.400
am_struggle_enddelay 0.500
am_struggle_maxarrows 4
am_struggle_maxextanges 10
am_struggle_startdelay 0.500
am_swoop_minstrugtime .05
am_wallstick_canstick 1
am_wallstick_maxtime .5
am_wallstick_mintime 0.05
mp_allowsensubeans 0
mp_melee 1
mp_multipleps 1
mp_nomeleehittime 1.2
mp_plcatchup 0
mp_simplemelee 0
mp_spawn_invulnerable_time 1
mp_friendlyfire 1
Then when you start your game, type in exec advanced_mode.cfg in your server console.

Now I know this contains some cvars that dont deal with advanced melee, but this is advanced mode, so let me explain it all in order:
am_struggle_maxestanges and am_maxextanges
I changed them both to 10 in order to have more come backs (cause simplely I made it so fast taht only 4 combacks wasnt enough)
Prepunch delay (the time between each prepunch)
The prepunch delay was severaly reduced for 2 reasons: 1) The prepunch time was too slow. 2) This makes it harder to click in the right time for your stun time window. There, for you have to click sooner to get more.
Delay struggle
That just means that there is sooner between the time he prepunches and the time you go into the combo blocking. (thus players have to click thier arrow sooner)
Prepunch max/maxstun/mincombo
The prepunch max was increased to 18 to give users more damage in case they missed the window of the combonation, while the max stun time wasn't chagned. This creates a effect making litterally NO STUN TIME AFTER 12 prepunches. So this gives players more of an incentive to click sooner
am_skill
I had the skill cvar set to 2, so that way the stun time is teh quickest for faster gameplay
Arrow time
When I set this to low, it gives you the ability to place more arrows in the lessend time frame that you had. Example: at 3 stun, you could rpobally do a fair amount of arrows, but if you click at 6 stun, its almost 2x times the amount of arrows. Just rremember that the time you have optioned to do the combo is minute, so this gives you a bonus if your lucky enough to get 6.
StartDelay/EndDelay
Hers what it is, the start delay is the amount of second between when an advanced melee combo is started until it shows the arrow. This gives less time to relax waiting for arrows.
Finally your end delay states that after the last arrow pops up, you are given .5 of a second to complete the whole combo before the winner is chosen, or a new set of arrows pops up.
Struggle, max arrows
I changed this to 4 because 6 arrows had you waiting around too often, so 4 arrows goes by faster. And yes, this does make it more challenging (because the next combo comes by sooner than expected)
Swoop, MinStrugTime
Allthought it doesnt seem like l337 to make this lower, it is. This lets some players try to play the field and not get hit on a head on. So players have to work thier way around the person on the fear of the old exploit: HOW/LSM (exept without the ki dependance, wich is worse)
Wall stick/max min time
This is personally the favorite of all of the changes I made. I love it cause it makes the wall sticking more lifelike and more DBZ like at the same time... observe:
When you are slammed into a wall (by any means) you are stuck there for a minimum of .05 of a second. Now this isnt noticible in real life, but in DBZ terms, this is pretty normal. This gives plaeyrs a chance to bounce off without the fear of lots of ki balls comming your way. (thus lengenthing battles)
Then when we look at the max time, this is also lots more life like. When you are thrown into a wall, you will bounce off. You dont get your arse stuck in there waiting for it to pop out. You hit the wall and fall.

That is the end of the advanced melee changes, but take a look at the non advanced melee changes:
No Melee hit Time
There was almost no cvar I could change this to in order to stop the third hit and still be fair. If I changed this to 3, there was no third hit, but players had to wait 3 seconds before they could use melee again (not fast enough).
If i changed this to 0, players could hit too much too often and this shortens battles (ITs fast but not fair)
The most I could do was chagne it to 1.2. This gives players a chance by changing the timing for the advanced melee thrid hit longer. And this creates a inbalance in the thrid hit, and its often missed. (aka it changes the timing)
Spawn_invenurable_time
Well if advanced mode is supposed to speed the battles, isnt it supposed to also speed up the repsawn time? I would think so.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
uhuuh ... gotta test this out later :)
could be fun :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting... Ill have to try 'er out and see how things go.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So THAT's what you ment by "advanced mode" I dropped before you could set it :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u kno i did this and it's actually a lot more faster and a lot more fun =p maybe the dev team could try this out if they haven't yet..

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Auctally I want this to be in, but its up to the team in the end. I would like to hear more feedback about what they thought it was, and how it played.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
Auctally I want this to be in, but its up to the team in the end. I would like to hear more feedback about what they thought it was, and how it played.
Alot of people want alot of stuff o_O. Everyone may not like it (not saying I don't, in 1.2 testing we raped the cvars :p) it's never too hard to just adjust the cvars like that.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah well its harder for me to get time to do that. I want to totally change all the cvars, but I can only do little bits at a time. Mainly because I run a public server, and 2 things have to happen:
1) People have to be there that I trust/know
2) People that are paitent enough for the cvar changes and testing have to be there

Its diffrent for you guys though ;)

*EDIT*
Auctally I have a question:
No matter what I did to mp_laydowntime, it never really chagned the lay down time. I made it 0, I made it negitive, I made it obnoxiousally large like 1000000000000000. It seems to do nothing.

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready, let me know when you test it out. I would like to take a look at these edits as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the only beef i have with this is when it goes back and forth for a long time, you only get in ONE hit. so if the team does look at these edits and considers them, make the input of arrows the same time you start with EVERY time

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All looks good except for one thing.

Why on earth would you put HOWing back?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
@masta: ow .. i almost forgot about this lol
ill report to you when i actually tested it
as soon as when im feeling well again -.- ... big flu >_< ... all my sisters fault >_<

Best answers
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :\ I puted into the sef folder corect name... Eveything else corect to...

And when in game typed = exec advanced_mode.cfg It said could not exec advanced_mode.cfg .... Meh so what do i do?

P.S i tryed using it on evm 2.1

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont know. If it is named advanced_mode.cfg and not .txt, then it should work. Maby just a plugin that starts this up would be in order. (and turns it off)

But most likely you have it named .cfg.txt or just .txt. Check it out.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm always up for faster & tougher play , good thinking. i will try these setting out when i get home

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice settings i kindof like it. It makes the game a lot faster. the rpepunches go so fast throo that you reach 18 in 1 second ^^ but you can get used to it. The only problem i see is servers with higher ping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom