Best answers
ADVANCED MELEE CONCEPT

Mouse buttons:
LMB enter lock on mode
RMB simple melee (like now)

Buttons combo mode:
LMB punch attack
RMB kick attack
Turbo/recharge KI flamethrower like attack with KI (finishing)
teleport teleports behind locked on player (not first)
movement keys decide what direction the opponent will fly after the sequence ends

Lock on mode:
Entering:
Have melee selected and press the LMB. The person who currently has the scouter focus gets locked on.

Lock on mode:
The movement is free like normally in the game. You can teleport, swoop and everything else. The change comes when you press either LMB or RMB. Your character will then charge directly at the locked on player. You can get out of the charge any time you want by simply making a chain swoop in a different direction, hitting the recharge button or hitting the block button. If you get to the opponent you enter the attack mode. But ill be more detailed about the charge and attack later.

Exiting lock on mode:
select a different attack (you can press '1' again to reselect melee and it'll also disable it)
loose the opponent out of the screen for over 5 seconds (like in 1.1 and 1.0)
getting killed
killing the person who was locked on
you/the person you are locked on to get hit my someone else during the combination sequence

The charge:
This is just like a normal swoop. You fly towards the opponent and hit him when you get to him. Like in 1.1 you fly at the enemy and upon impact you either do a kick or punch depending on what button you pressed to initiate it. You do not hold the button for the attack, instead you can already put in your own sequence (I'll cover the sequence later). You can break off the charge 3 ways.
The first is to simply make a chain swoop in a different direction.
The second way is to hit the block button. You instantly stop the charge and enter block mode.
The third and final way is to press the recharge button. Same as with the block button you stop the charge and enter KI recharge mode.

Attack:

Once you start the charge you can give in a combination for the attack. You can enter 4 attack commands. Then the combination begins.

The 4 possible attacks are:
LMB – punch
RMB – kick
teleport – teleports you behind the opponent (can be placed as second or later)
recharge – flamethrower like KI attack to blast away the opponent (finishing)

Additionally you can use the directional buttons to hit the enemy in a certain direction with the final attack of the sequence (except with the KI attack).

Directions:
w – up
s – down
a – left
d – right
no direction – straight forward, but slightly in the direction you are looking (an angle of 30° MAX)

You simply have to have the direction pressed down when the last attack in the chain is thrown.

Example:
You have a person X locked on and you press LMB to initiate the charge. Your character starts a swoop directly at person X. During that time you push the following sequence. RMB, LMB, teleport, recharge.
When you reach person X your character first does a punch on him, sending him backwards about 20 feet, after the punch you automatically charge forward and do a kick, resulting in a similar blow back, followed by another punch. After the second punch you teleport behind the other person and do a KI attack, similar to a flamethrower and you send the opponent flying.

In simple terms its a series of simple melee attacks with altered speed and the addition of the KI finished and teleport.

You can put in any 5 attack commands you want. Lets say you put in RMB, teleport, teleport, RMB, teleport. That would result in a kick, followed by a teleport behind the opponent, and another teleport, this time back to the front of the opponent, another kick and finally another teleport behind the opponent.

You can also put in less than 5 commands. You can simply do any number from 1 to 5. The possible options for each attacks are:
1.LMB, RMB
2.all (recharge results in a 2 attack combo)
3.all (recharge results in a 3 attack combo)
4.all (recharge results in a 4 attack combo)
5.all

Block:
Blocking is really simple. All you need to do is hold the block button. Your character will still get knocked back and all, but you will not take a lot of damage. You may take some impact damage from the final blow though.

Mastering attack:
If you simply put in all attack commands while you are charging towards your opponent you will get a delayed combo. Meaning each command will have a certain delay. Id say the 100% delay should be round 0.2 or 0.3 seconds. But could be decided on more or less depending how the testing goes.

Now to master the attack you will need to press the following attack at a precise time. You will have to press the second attack of the combination at the very moment the first attack hits. If you do it early yo get a certain delay. Just for some numbers lets say 0.1 seconds is 100%. So if you press the second attack 0.1 seconds or more before the first attack hits you get a 100% delay. If you press the second chain 0.01 seconds you only get a 10% delay, meaning 0.02 seconds of a delay. But if you miss the time of the attack hitting you are punished with a stun time for yourself. It shouldn't be long, just enough for the opponent to try and counter or clear the immediate area. The stun time only happens if you actually press the next attack after the attack time ends. If you do not press LMB or RMB you do not get a stun. Teleport and recharge resume having their original tasks as soon as you miss the attack time deadline.

So basically the more precise you are the less chance the opponent has to actually block if the first attack hit, but you are punished if you wait to long. This goes for everything except the attack after teleport and the KI attack.

Mastering block:
Similar as with the attack you can master the block. Now you can just hold block and take partial damage and all, but you can avoid taking damage at all. If you press the block button during the attackers stun time you dodge his attack. You don't take any damage, but he still continues the combination. The difference is blocking the KI attack and the teleport. To block those you will need to press either the recharge button or the teleport button. You can press block 3 times fast in order to catch the right moment, but if you still don't catch it, or press it a 4th time you will get hit with no counter. If you press block to fast and then hold it you get normal block mode, where you take some damage from the attacks.

If the opponent finishes with the KI attack, he has a 100% delay, since the attack has a small charge delay (the delay should not be longer than 0.5 seconds) . During that delay the blocker has to press the recharge button. If he catches the moment, he will teleport behind the attacker and do a KI attack of his own, hitting the attacker instead.

The second way to avoid getting hit is using the teleport dodge. You have to be pretty precise on this one. If you press teleport 0.2 seconds before the attacker does the attack, you will teleport behind him, leaving him open to attack. Press teleport to early or to late and you get hit. This one, unlike the full block, gives you only one chance. Miss the one chance and you get hit.

Exiting the combination sequence:
Killing the blocker
getting hit by a third person knocking you out of the sequence (also disables lock on)
the defender getting knocked away by a third person (also disables lock on)
making the defender bounce off a wall
the defender teleport dodging your attack (except if you have teleport following that attack)

Special cases:
If the attacker has teleport chosen as the second attack, and the blocker uses teleport dodge on the first attack, the attacker will then negate the teleport dodge by teleporting behind the defender. This of course goes for any 2 attachs in the chain. Meaning it the attacker has 2 teleports set up one after another and the blocker uses the teleport dodge on the first one, he will still have to block/teleport dodge the second one.

If the attacker stops the combination with a teleport and the defender teleport dodges it. The attacker gets no stun time, since he did not actually attack.

During the actual combination part of the melee, both the attacker and defender are immune to all KI attacks. Melee attacks are still possible and they still hurt.

Player collisions:
swoop + charge β†’ charge wins
charge + charge β†’ players have an animation of exchanging a few punches and are blown apart, both take some damage
charge + simple melee β†’ the guy who charged hits the opponent, but is then blown back by simple melee, both take full damage of the attack used.

Damage:
punch β†’ 1/3 of simple melee
kick β†’ 1/2 of simple melee
KI attack β†’ same as simple melee
normal block β†’ halves the damage that would be done normally
mastered block β†’ 0 damage (does not end the attack sequence)
teleport dodge β†’ 0 damage (stops the attack sequence and leaves the attacker stunned)

Optional:
Combo field. A small transparent field at the top left corner of the screen. Only the attacker sees it once he starts the combination. It shows the status of the combination made by the attacker. It includes 5 fields that either get the letters:
P – punch
K – kick
T – teleport
F – KI attack (F for finish)

Trunks using sword animations instead of punch.

Grab throw. Simply put press both LMB and RMB for the charge. If you hit the opponent you will grab him and receive an additional boost that you can use to smash the opponent into the ground. The damage for this should be the a bit bigger than the actual collision damage. You have to do a clean hit with this or else it counts as a normal swoop and you get attacked instead.

Special combos. Lets say you end your sequence with teleport, RMB while holding S. This would make you teleport behind the blocker, stop him with with a punch and do a flip kick straight down. Or lets say you end the sequence with LMB, RMB and holding S. You would punch the blocker upwards, teleport above him and flip kick him down. Those two are just examples of what kind of β€œSpecial combos” I meant. It wouldn't really do more damage, but it would look more DBZ-ish XD

Phrases:
charge – its the swoop that is started from pressing LMB or RMB when in lock on mode
attack time – the time that is calculated into the delay for the attacker
delay – the time that the blocker can use to do a perfect block or teleport dodge
teleport dodge – the a dodge move that stops the attackers sequence and leaves the attacker open to be attacked. Its very hard to pull off but you get a free attack for it.
LMB – Left Mouse Button
RMB – Right Mouse Button

Thats it I guess. If I missed anything, wrote it to understandable or you still have questions then simply say whats bothering you, and ill respond.

NOTE: All the values are just made up for reference. They should be edited after actual testing.

Oh and congrats on actually reading this far ^^

Last edited:
Best answers
wow this must be awesome! its a really big text!seems cool =D
(nope i didnt read a single word =D)

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh thats what i get for explaining every single detail of my idea >.<

Come on i spent 3 hours writing that up and a whole week of gathering ideas on how to keep it easy to use and semi-hard to master.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
read 80%

Its nice and all, but it will be based on knockbacks? Not like hand to hand combat (Like Karate, Taekwondo, Kung Fu, or if you like Tekken style) Which they not throw the enemy, they fight close as well.

Only knockbacks?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
read 80%

Its nice and all, but it will be based on knockbacks? Not like hand to hand combat (Like Karate, Taekwondo, Kung Fu, or if you like Tekken style) Which they not throw the enemy, they fight close as well.

Only knockbacks?
Thats my own idea. Besides you shouldnt compare games that are based on 2D fighter physics with ESF thats based on a 3D FPS physic system.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
No I mean actual fighting. Take Taekwondo competitions for example. Anyhow I liked the idea, but I think in addition there should be hand to hand combat.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
No I mean actual fighting. Take Taekwondo competitions for example. Anyhow I liked the idea, but I think in addition there should be hand to hand combat.
You saw how that worked out.

Points to current advanced melee. In any case. Doing it more complex would probably require a lot more coding and probably screw up gameplay in the lag department.

The lag would either kill you or it would turn out turnbased like the current one.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If you say so.

I tried getting ESF Alpha for the test but theres a problem in installing it.

I downloaded it from esf - world v2.0 steam available.

Any help?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If you say so.

I tried getting ESF Alpha for the test but theres a problem in installing it.

I downloaded it from esf - world v2.0 steam available.

Any help?
You probably need the alpha fmod.dll.

Should me in the misc section of ESF world.

Now stop spaming my thread :(

Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Are these ideas (that you've gathered) the ones that Masta was referring to when he mentioned that the melee system would be made to be a lot simpler than was stated in the original 1.3 Outline?

I haven't read it, I will now.

Darn Grega for arousing my curiosity... he's the reason why esforces.com
is in my browser's favorites :fight:

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds really nice! It's certainly something new! can't wait to see how it will be applied in the game :)

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega I realy liked your ideeas a bit mistake the defender see's the attack from the attacker, anyway , realy looks easy to use , the only thing that bugs me it's the finising move , I think it will be beter for the finishing move to stun the caracter to creater your own attack , eider generic beam/ball, ki blast ,fast chartge khh or sbc , knowing that the oponet get's a bit stuned

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Grega I realy liked your ideeas a bit mistake the defender see's the attack from the attacker, anyway , realy looks easy to use , the only thing that bugs me it's the finising move , I think it will be beter for the finishing move to stun the caracter to creater your own attack , eider generic beam/ball, ki blast ,fast chartge khh or sbc , knowing that the oponet get's a bit stuned
His right. Each character should have individual move, other ways its visually boring.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Very good balance made there Grega. good ideas overall.
I lol'd at phrases part, though :p I wonder why did I :O :p

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
The idea is great!
I really hope that this would be included in the game
The only minus is that are only knockbacks no fast punches\kicks

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there is another optional thing that i didnt include.

The hit animations. A punch wouldnt really need to be allways the same. Rather it could be set that a random of multiple animations would be played.

Lets say a kick would do a punch first folowed by a spin kick.

But thats even more optional than The sword animations for trunks. And i only thought of bringing it up if this system would actually be approved.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not going to read all of it because I've lost all hope, but I really, really think having that type of a lock-on system is a horrible idea. A red box is all you need. We don't need training wheels that'll b-line us straight to our opponent.

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not going to read all of it because I've lost all hope, but I really, really think having that type of a lock-on system is a horrible idea. A red box is all you need. We don't need training wheels that'll b-line us straight to our opponent.
then let it be optional!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom