add knockback to beam

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I find it kind of strange that when players get hit dead on by beams, the beam explodes but the player is not even phased (besides hp damage). I think it would be a good idea to add a small knockback when you get hit directly by beams (but not from splash damage).

A bigger knockback should be added if you get hit by a large beam directly (not blocked). This could also add some strategy for combo'ing, adding another way for players to hit the enemy around.

nge

Best answers
There already is, should the PL difference be great enough or the beam be strong enough. It's not basic melee knowback, but it's there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not really knockback, it just drops you from flight and makes the screen shake. Melee knockback (where you spin through the air and travel backwards) would be much better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, I think that would be cool to have in, bt usually if you get hit by a beam, it's a one hit kill attack, well depends, but it would be cool.
Like you can attack the guy with a beam, he flies back, you hit the nr. 1 button to select melee, you then recharge your ki, instantly teleporting/swooping to opponent, then giving him a 2 hit simple melee, cool combo to do, but would only be posible for experts.

Best answers
OR...we could not ruin melee more..has anyone else noticed how people more and more are doing hit,hit,beam,beamjump?...well..lets add melee knockback to the beam..hit,hit,beam,hit,hit,beam,death?....or....hit,hit,beam,(your flying back so your still kinda stunned) beam,beam,beam,death?...or hit,hit,beam,beam,beamjump?...either way..the point is..adding in a knockback would just make the combo longer and harder to get out of..fights are already short enough because of this melee/beam combo why make it easier to end fights fast?

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I agree, beam doing knock back damage will be spammed.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Chang Wufei said:
OR...we could not ruin melee more..has anyone else noticed how people more and more are doing hit,hit,beam,beamjump?...well..lets add melee knockback to the beam..hit,hit,beam,hit,hit,beam,death?....or....hit,hit,beam,(your flying back so your still kinda stunned) beam,beam,beam,death?...or hit,hit,beam,beam,beamjump?...either way..the point is..adding in a knockback would just make the combo longer and harder to get out of..fights are already short enough because of this melee/beam combo why make it easier to end fights fast?
Beam jumping is going to be fixed in 1.3, but for this idea I said there would be a knockback if you get hit directly by a beam, not splash damage.

If someone gets hit directly by a beam, why shouldn't they get knocked back? (assuming he didn't block).

I think it would add some skill, being able to combo with beams (and slightly reduce the damage). Instead of always detonating the beam in the air, you will take more effort trying to hit the enemy dead on with it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like this idea. But that should only happen if the person shooting the beam is stronger than you. How mutch stronger? I dont know it would have to be tested.

In any case this would be a good thing ^^

Force Pit Member
Best answers
hmm, maybe if someone is less powerful then you , the knockback will be smaller.

Kind of like how the knockbacks will be in 1.3 for regular melee, where less powerful characters knock stronger players less distances so they can still be able to combo them and for balance. Testing would be good for something like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good idea, I would say when you get knocked back, then a meter comes up, if you win, your guy slides out of the beam's way, like with goku and vegeta the first time they fought, then vegeta stopped high above the clouds, something like that.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah if the beamer is weaker than you the beam should not stop you. You should just fly throo it. Beam explodes and hurts you but it dont stop you.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fascinating... I believe this is the second suggestion that I was going to drop behind closed doors that you beat me to publicly, and both were nearly identical to my own, which were already written out at the time you posted them. Needless to say, I support the idea. Direct hits should act like melee attacks smashing you backwards. If you attempt to block a beam and fail it should knock you backwards in the same manor, further for bigger beams, but notably even for smaller ones. Big ball attacks should do the same.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
good minds think alike lol. This will make piccolo's SBC even better now that I think about it ( since it only goes straight and more energy cannot be put into it ). Perhaps biggest knockback of all beams? =P

Have you decided about damage from this, etc.

Best answers
wow...thats increadibly sad that noone else thinks this is a bad idea..its not hard to smack someone with a beam directly..especially with gen balls...but w/e...just goes to show what direction ESF 1.3 is going..=\

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If everyone but you agree's, maybe, just maybe... you could be wrong? D: you're being rather cynical, instead of complaining why not build on the idea and make what you dislike no longer a problem. Its called progress D:

I like the idea, but obviously, the knockback distance/speed should be dependant on 3 things, powerlevel, attack type, and time charged. Needless to say, you're not gonna be able to hit people with a generic beam and smack them half way across the map, even if it was fully charged it shouldnt really have much effect on them. I dont think it should be like a melee knockback at all though, more like just being pushed in a direction, like maybe holding jump will make you recover from it (at the cost of ki).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes! that might work, but instead of making new animations, just use the beamjump animation, it looks the same almost, if you put the beam hitting the stomach or something.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good idea, and i doubt itll really be spammed

it'd be good if this were applied to only direct hits and very strong explosions especially attacks like spirit bomb and death ball

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like to see with spirit bomb and stuff that it knocks you back, and when you're on the ground, then you hold the beam in your hands like done in the series couple of times, then you can throw it back instead of just keeping your arms in a cross.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chang Wufei said:
wow...thats increadibly sad that noone else thinks this is a bad idea..its not hard to smack someone with a beam directly..especially with gen balls...but w/e...just goes to show what direction ESF 1.3 is going..=\
And you get a warning for flaming a thread full of people. Get enlightened and start posting constructively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom