sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, hold on. Playable demo is on XBL?

I really need to get a 360. I was hoping for a price drop at E3

Best answers
Wait, hold on. Playable demo is on XBL?

I really need to get a 360. I was hoping for a price drop at E3
Yup, its around 300MB and looks like it has 1 or 2 missions from the campaign.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's good to see consoles starting to get some of PC gaming's features. Online gaming came last generation, and now with storage space, demos and patches can be had. HD displays have entered the area, meaning that low quality TVs are a thing of the past. Now the only step I can see for console gaming to be as good as PC gaming are better controls.

That was a little off topic, but I think it's cool consoles are getting downloadable demos.

Anyway, how is it? I've never played any of the Ace Combat games... are they realisticish? Does it play like Crimson Skies, or is it in the same vein as Lock On?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried it three times, and it has 1 mission (the first).

The graphics are FRICKIN' SWEET.

But gameplay wise, it's very nearly exactly the same as the one I have on PS2. However, I didn't see any of the interactive dialogue sequences during flight, which saddened me a bit, because they added a bit of immersion to the game that I really liked. In all, there isn't much else to say. It's just Ace Combat with prettier graphics, from what I can tell. But that's not a bad thing. Still, the lack of any real innovations kind of make it hard for me to get excited about this game.

Best answers
Anyway, how is it? I've never played any of the Ace Combat games... are they realisticish? Does it play like Crimson Skies, or is it in the same vein as Lock On?
It was great. Its got enough realism but keeps it arcady at the same time. The 360 controller was made for this game.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's good to see consoles starting to get some of PC gaming's features. Online gaming came last generation, and now with storage space, demos and patches can be had. HD displays have entered the area, meaning that low quality TVs are a thing of the past. Now the only step I can see for console gaming to be as good as PC gaming are better controls.

That was a little off topic, but I think it's cool consoles are getting downloadable demos.

I'm a sucker for Ace Combat. It's pretty much you vs everyone, so no, not really realistic, but tons of fun. It's arcadey, but it doesn't suck like Lock On.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a sucker for Ace Combat. It's pretty much you vs everyone, so no, not really realistic, but tons of fun. It's arcadey, but it doesn't suck like Lock On.
Good, the middle ground. I just care about the flight model and how the weapons work, as far as realism goes. I dislike both extremes, but usually find that console games tend to lean too far towards the arcade. I like the jet to fly like a jet, and to have to think about weapons loadouts and conserving missiles.

I'll have to try this at my friend's place.

And yes, Lock On did suck, but it's a good benchmark as a realistic flight combat sim. It's also the last game I've played that's needed a joystick... which is weird, because I spent countless hours (like, more than I spend on WC2) played games with a joystick on my old Mac, but you just don't see games like that any more...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good, the middle ground. I just care about the flight model and how the weapons work, as far as realism goes. I dislike both extremes, but usually find that console games tend to lean too far towards the arcade. I like the jet to fly like a jet, and to have to think about weapons loadouts and conserving missiles.

I'll have to try this at my friend's place.

And yes, Lock On did suck, but it's a good benchmark as a realistic flight combat sim. It's also the last game I've played that's needed a joystick... which is weird, because I spent countless hours (like, more than I spend on WC2) played games with a joystick on my old Mac, but you just don't see games like that any more...
Well, you don't really have to worry about stalling in Ace Combat or anything like that. Plus you can get about 60 missiles. So it's leaning a lot more towards arcadey

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, you don't really have to worry about stalling in Ace Combat or anything like that. Plus you can get about 60 missiles. So it's leaning a lot more towards arcadey
Well unless you fly too high, but I think that's just their version of a skybox.

I am going to play this so fast tomorrow. And the best thing I've seen so far is that it seems to have a deep story. I loved the one in Ace Combat 5, but I was a bit disappointed by Zero's lack of story (except for the last battles. Those kicked ass).

I'm glad Ace Combat isn't completely realistic. I like being able to quickly accelerate to supersonic speed and bank easily while doing so.

Pfft, I could so land a plane after playing this.

A plane better than the Falken anyone?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

A novaworld mod was commenting on Novalogic's new game coming out "soonish". They say it will be like shadowrun, it will run on Windows and XB360 live, and allow PC users to fight XB360 users. The fun part is, it will allow you to use a PC Mouse and Keyboard on the 360, so the long stigma of console fps sucking may indeed end as well.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I now finally have a 360 and just got done playing the demo. It's definitely one of the best looking games I've ever played. It plays exactly like previous ace games, but now looks 10 times better. In other words, no complaints from me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A novaworld mod was commenting on Novalogic's new game coming out "soonish". They say it will be like shadowrun, it will run on Windows and XB360 live, and allow PC users to fight XB360 users. The fun part is, it will allow you to use a PC Mouse and Keyboard on the 360, so the long stigma of console fps sucking may indeed end as well.
Are you talking about Ace Combat 6 coming to the PC or some other game?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it was just the plan that it made you play as or maybe I haven't played Ace Combat in a while, but I definitely felt more agile this time around.

And the max altitude isn't 30,000 ft anymore, it's 40,000, and flying up to the max, which is around commercial flight level, then bombing down towards buildings and flying faster than your own missiles is just what I came for.

The missile effects has a lot more "oomf" o them, and they leave their smoke trail for a much longer time, letting you see the after effects of a small battle behind you. I flew down near a bridge, with water spraying into a vapor behind me to look at a long toppled bridge covered in bellowing smoke.

This is going to kick ass, off and on-line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom