Abusing the Death Note *SOME DEATH NOTE SPOILERS*

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I'm rewatching one of my favourite series of all time, Death Note, and I got to thinking in what ways could one abuse the properties and rules of the DN to kill people you don't have very little info on say through collateral damage?

For example, what happens if somebody I want to kill is on a plane flying somewhere. Is it possible if I got the name and face of somebody else who was going to on that plane and write in the DN their name and the cause of death as "Plane crash" and in causing a plane crash have a likely chance of killing other people on the plane, those that I don't have name and face for?

What if I wrote the name of a criminal, the cause of death as "exploded" and details of the death as "goes to a building at a specific address with various explosives, succeeds in planting those explosives and detonating them, killing himself in the explosion." it would be possible that somebody else in that building would die.

If the DN could be used in this way to kill people in ways other than directly writing their name down, that power becomes infinitely more powerful. Basically Light could easily orchestrate various ways of getting L killed without actually writing his name down.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes

But that wouldn't be nearly interesting, and remember, it must be possible...and 99.9% of people can't get access to explosives, and almost no one knew where L was, he can't implant information.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know it's not interesting, but we're assuming more practical uses of the DN.

If we're talking criminals here, I don't think it'd be too difficult to acquire explosives, especially if the target you write in the DN is a criminal for being a pyromaniac or otherwise explosive user, and you wouldn't need to implant the information of where L was, you'd just need to write in the description of the death the address of L after the team moved into the new headquarters. If I know your address, I can write in the death note that the person to die will go to your address and plant explosives, then accidentally blow themselves and the building up.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an interesting idea. Although writing down another person in the building with "death from collapsing building" might work better. It'd have been fairly easy for Light, considering he knew everyone else's names.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know it's not interesting, but we're assuming more practical uses of the DN.

If we're talking criminals here, I don't think it'd be too difficult to acquire explosives, especially if the target you write in the DN is a criminal for being a pyromaniac or otherwise explosive user, and you wouldn't need to implant the information of where L was, you'd just need to write in the description of the death the address of L after the team moved into the new headquarters. If I know your address, I can write in the death note that the person to die will go to your address and plant explosives, then accidentally blow themselves and the building up.
Writing the address won't matter if the person supposed to be dieing doesn't know it. Its the same way when Light told that inmate to draw L's face.

You could, ofcourse, give manual directions, but that would probably take up the entire book.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Writing the address won't matter if the person supposed to be dieing doesn't know it. Its the same way when Light told that inmate to draw L's face.

You could, ofcourse, give manual directions, but that would probably take up the entire book.
Well, depends what the address or the building is. If you were to give an address of a building that is quite commonly known, let's say the Empire State building, or the White House or something, it's not infeasible to believe that a local resident of those cities would know where those places are. I'm pretty well acquainted with the geography of Sydney so it would definitely be possible if someone asked me to go to the Opera house or even something more vague like that MLC building (I don't expect many of you to know those places).

Let's take a scenario from the series. Yotsuba was a quite well known, prominent and successful company. There's a good chance that many native residents of Japan (in the series) would have known the location of the "Yotsuba building". If you wrote in the DN, so and so, dies from explosion, on some day the person collects explosives from somewhere goes to the Yotsuba building plants the explosives at the base of the building, detonates it causing the entire building to be destroyed, killing himself in the process.

I think that would work. Of course if the person doesn't know the Yotsuba building they'd simply die of a heart attack, but if you're Light, you're willing to make sacrifices with numerous people till you find someone who does go through with the plan.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't really think it would work. It would be more like, that he dies from an heartattack or other people around would survive.

I found something interessting on a deathnote wikia.

How to Use: X

1. “Suicide” is a valid cause of death. Basically, all humans are thought to possess the possibility to commit suicide. It is, therefore, not something “unbelievable to think of."
2. Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident. If the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influence.

That means, there is no way to kill more than the person who was written in it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How to Use: X

“Suicide” is a valid cause of death. Basically, all humans are thought to possess the possibility to commit suicide. It is, therefore, not something “unbelievable to think of."
Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident. If the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influenced.
http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rules_of_Death_Note

Edit: Whoa, why didn't that post above me show up?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Don't know^^ I read the rules through and found something interessting in it.
You could reduce the remaining lifetime of someone if you kill someone else.

How it would work? Well, to explain i need two scenarios.

1stScenario: Person A gets a heart attack and is helped by Person B who finds him in some dark backallys for example. He gives first aid and does an emergency call. Person A survives.

2ndScenario: You've killed Person B some days/hours/minutes before Person A gets his heart attack. Person A would die in that case.

Or you could just threat some like:"If you don't do what i say, all you're beloved ones will die in horrible ways you can't even dream of"
If he gives in, he would act on his own and is not forced by the Death Note.
I know, sounds cruel, but it looks like there would be no other way.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps more in the sense of...

What if person A and B were husband and wife, and married. You kill person B, and thus person A gets a depression. Person A eventually commits suicide because of the depression. Without writing down the name of person A, you still managed to kill him(/shorten his lifespan).

Though yours makes equally as much sense. Both are possible.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2. Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident. If the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influence.
Ah well that answers my question. Although brings up an interesting question. Going back to the airplane scenario. If you write that the pilot dies of a heart attack. What's the chance that during the pilots heart attack the plane crashes? I know with co-pilots and stuff there's a good chance the plane won't crash, but what if it's a non-commercial flight and only one person with pilot skills is on board?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Ah well that answers my question. Although brings up an interesting question. Going back to the airplane scenario. If you write that the pilot dies of a heart attack. What's the chance that during the pilots heart attack the plane crashes? I know with co-pilots and stuff there's a good chance the plane won't crash, but what if it's a non-commercial flight and only one person with pilot skills is on board?
Well, he would survive as long as innocent people would die. To explain my opinion, i need you to look at 2 Rules.

The First one is the one you've quoted. That Rule teaches us, that the Death Note isn't allowed to kill more people, then those who are written down in it.

The second Rule would be the so called "23-Days-Rule".

If you write, “die of disease” for the cause of death, but only write a specific time of death without the actual name of disease, the human will die from an adequate disease. But the Death Note can only operate within 23 days (in the human calendar). This is called the 23-day rule.

Original, it tells us how the "die of disease" case would work, but it also tells us how long the Death Note's effect could be avoided.

So, if you write down the name of that pilot, he would normally die in 60 seconds, but if other people are also involved it would'nt happen, because the death note isn't allowed to do so.

One unclear fact is, what would happen if you avoid it's effect for more then 23days. But if you think about it, it would be very hard to avoid it that long.
Only if you lock yourself and some other people in a house and plant some bomb's which are remote controlled by a trigger that is attached to your heartbeat.
That would be the only way i can imagine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom