about the new technique

Best answers
hi there
esf maps use a new mapping method lately (no single textures anymore but complete floor textures splited in different parts) and then mapping the terrain based on that textures (at least i think so) is there a tutorial for that technique or can anyone try to explain the basics of that technique please?

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I was planning on creating a tutorial for that. I'll start right now. Keep an eye on esf-world.

Best answers
Then obviously he's not done writing it :rolleyes: . Honestly, it's not that hard to figure out if you know anything about mapping.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Dark-Domi said:
no single textures anymore but complete floor textures splited in different parts and then mapping the terrain based on that textures
that basically describes it
it takes some more effort to create the texures but its actually easier to create maps with that technique .. at least to me ^^
you're limited in designing the terrain when you use this technique though.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Which is why I hate that technique. Old school mapping ftw.

I think that the new technique can be frustrating and restrictive. I personally recommend the old way of making textures blend - it's much more fun.

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, I guess it depends on what you prefer. I like the technique a lot.

I uploaded the tutorial a few days ago, but it has not been placed on esf-world yet.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
you simply could have told me instead of just uploading it ... its my (and max2's) site after all :p

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
that basically describes it
it takes some more effort to create the texures but its actually easier to create maps with that technique .. at least to me ^^
you're limited in designing the terrain when you use this technique though.
well not really, i personally found out a technique to avoid those limitations.. to avoid any limitations really, biggest problem is always invalid brushes, cuz 2 polies on 1 side can not bend for some stupid reason, so i built blocks existing from just triangles, and they can be modified however i wish, once they compile, they will have the same amount or less polis than using normal blocks.

my technique for teh win! its complicated to find this out tho, and especially making the first brick.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
do you mean using more complex brushes then triangles or squares (ctrl+f in vertex manipulation mode ^^)

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
you simply could have told me instead of just uploading it ... its my (and max2's) site after all :p
*Hits himself*

Right, well, yeah. See you on msn >.<

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a little partial to the old school way of creating natural-looking geometry too. I tried this new concept awhile ago and just got frustrated with it, so I ditched it. I'll combine textures in Photoshop, but that's about all of the blending I do outside of Hammer itself.

I should map somefin' new... I feel like an old man. o_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom