A WoW Glitch: How to change models

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I've been looking for Exploration the Movie and I came across this. Now, I was reading a few comments and I came across this.

Yeah it's bull****. All you have to do is go into your WoW files and switch the images for the mounts and walla you see it. The only "hard" part about it is making sure you're switching the right files. Don't try it if you're not experienced.
This is stupid; he simply changed around some mpq files so that it looks like hes riding a mechanostrider. The only person who can see this is the player.
This is no bug. its just that he changed the skin the skin of his mount. A Night Elf in my guild rides a Bear. tho he has the epic wolfsaber. we see the wolfsaber, but he, on his own screen sees the Bear. its just a simple change of some skins. And btw. you dont get more rep out of quests tho if they are red or gray. Busted!
Apparently, they were explaining to him how he REALLY did it. I also found this long comment.

yep he used mywarcraftstudio i think (but you can also do it in any other way editing the model.mpq and the texture.mpq [the texture should match to the model or else you have different colors...but its funny =P] i myself replaced some of the pet models to turn my pet into a big t-rex just make sure you copy - replace the right model in your model.mpq and use the same path (important or else your game crashes on loadup) and if you want the right skin then also copy replace the appropiate skins in your textures.mpq...thats it ;) --------only problem..other ppl will never see it (except on screenshots and movies like this one) and one more note..my t-rex may look awesome..but the model is sooooooooooooooo big almost everywhere i click..i target him XD [i also replaced the panthers in stranglethorne once... with t-rex of course (i love that model! :D) and it looked so fricking much like Jurassic Park ^_^ t-rex walking through the jungle ..everywhere you could see a head or a tail suddenly pop behind the next the tree! so exciting ^^ ..if my comp wasnt that slow i would fraps it and show it, but my comp is soo laggy when fraps is running it would be no fun to watch it (more like a slideshow of screenshots :S)
So, I belive, all you do is go to the models.mpq and the textures.mpq and edit your mount or char to the one you want. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to change my mount to a Raptor :) I'm not sure if i should've posted this in the pic thread or not, but whatever. Is anyone else going to try this?

WARNING THIS COULD SCREW UP YOUR WOW GAME!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A similar thing is done in FFXI. You can change moogles into Behemoths and other crazy stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes, lets ride my E-Penis in WOW! \o/

pity its only cient side and illegal D:

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:E, It's Illegal? I thought it was legal. Is MyWarCraftStudio Legal? :E

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nope, anything that involves editing the files is considered, it has been stressed by GM's that even client side skin edits put you in a position to have your accounts removed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
of course it does, your breaching the EULA which states you cannot access or otherwise modify any content ;)

WoW EULA said:
4. Responsibilities of End User.

A. Subject to the Grant of License hereinabove, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game, or remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Game. Failure to comply with the restrictions and limitations contained in this Section 4 shall result in immediate, automatic termination of the license granted hereunder and may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may make one (1) copy of the Game Client and the Manuals for archival purposes only.

B. You agree that you shall not, under any circumstances,

(i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Game to other parties in any way not expressly authorized herein, nor shall you rent, lease or license the Game to others;

(ii) exploit the Game or any of its parts, including, but not limited to, the Game Client, for any commercial purpose, including, but not limited to, use at a cyber caf�, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Blizzard;

(iii) host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Licensor in any way, including, without limitation, through protocol emulation, tunneling, packet sniffing, modifying or adding components to the Game, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, unauthorized network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks; or

(iv) create or maintain, under any circumstance, any unauthorized connections to the Game or the Service. All connections to the Game and/or the Service, whether created by the Game Client or by other tools and utilities, may only be made through methods and means expressly approved by Licensor. Under no circumstances may you connect, or create tools that allow you or others to connect, to the Game's proprietary interface or interfaces other than those expressly provided by Licensor for public use.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mind you, i'll put the point across that GM's have talked about this on the forums with people who have breached/questioned the EULA in this manner, and they state that they have not taken action against any individual who has done this and neither do they intend to, but they stress that you do make yourself viable for having your account suspended. you can edit away, but dont be suprised if a GM turns around and pwns you for it in the near future.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I see :p I read someone said on Client-Side it wasn't Illegal. I might as well request a mod to close this now :E

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
But people use custom UI's, and Blizzard really hasn't cared too much about that..plus dinking with the models really isn't modifying or adding anything, you're really just swapping files around.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is against the WoW TOS because it can be used to exploit. The basics of it is this: you aren't allowed to alter the game content, only add to it. That is why Interface stuff is okay, and model changing isn't.

I'm closing this because I don't want ways to break into a game people pay monthly for, even for cosmetic reasons, to be discussed here. Reopen it if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom