A weird computer problem.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Hi, the last 4 days a problem with my computer came up but before we begin , english is not my native language so I will try my best to make sense.

A little background: When I turn off my computer I will always turn off the button behind the computer you know the 0/1 button.

So when I was about to turn on my computer 4 days ago, a weird thing happened. My computer didn't turn on at first but after I pressed the power button for a while finally it turns on. Everything runs smoothly like nothing happened. The same thing happens the next day too. It takes a while but still working fine. Third day I press the power button , computer still turned off so i leave for like 5-10 minutes and when I came back the computer turned on.

But the 4rth day is not like that. No matter how many times i pressed the power button it just didn't wanted to turn on. I took a screwdriver and opened my computer to check the motherboard and the rest, guess what everything was fine. But the computer still refused to work. So I said screw it and opened my laggy laptop.

After 1 and a half hour passed, I pressed the power button just for fun and FINALLY the computer is turned ON.

So ladies and gentlemans, can someone explain me whats going on and how I can fix that problem?

Thanks,
Chris

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, wait. You turn off your computer's power supply instead of using your operating system's "shut down" shortcut? That's bound to mess with your computer. There's probably no fix if you've been doing what I just wrote.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Wait, wait. You turn off your computer's power supply instead of using your operating system's "shut down" shortcut? That's bound to mess with your computer. There's probably no fix if you've been doing what I just wrote.
No no no, I turn it off after I use the shut down shortcut.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...Is the computer off when you turn off your power supply?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Switching a PSU - especially one of inferior quality - on and off all the time can damage it. So you'll probably have to get a new PSU. And please don't buy cheap or you'll buy twice.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Switching a PSU - especially one of inferior quality - on and off all the time can damage it. So you'll probably have to get a new PSU. And please don't buy cheap or you'll buy twice.
Even if the computer is off?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, even if the computer is off. Imagine turning an old fashioned incandescent lightbulb on and off over and over again. That's your PSU, and it's ending, one push at a time.

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
My 1200w psu started to make a bearing noise. Sad day for me, very sad. A nice thing to have is a psu tester, they are cheap and work well. By doing this your also disabling power to the mobo and ports. Pretty much your USB's ect have to relearn themselves everytime you turn that sucker on.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSUs are notoriously fussy, if you don't buy quality you can expect it to die on you before the rest of the hardware. Especially using the switch constantly or leaving it on in a hot enviroment constantly.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Thanks for the answers, last night I didn't turn it off and today my computer turned on instantly. I hope it will last more days that way before i have to buy a new PSU.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSU's on balance aren't terribly expensive. The hardest thing is if you have like a Dell or something, getting one to fit the case. If you have to buy a new PSU, I'd recommend and Antec with modular cables. I have a Rosewill with non-modular cables. The PSU itself works just fine, but damn, all the cable in the bottom of the case are a huge mess. If I didn't have a huge case, I'd have a problem.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this happened to me on my old rig, I usually fixed it by changing places with my memory, had two of them, so I just switched places one with the other, its kinda like some hardware refresh, doesn't mean it will fix the problem forever :s

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PSUs are notoriously fussy, if you don't buy quality you can expect it to die on you before the rest of the hardware. Especially using the switch constantly or leaving it on in a hot enviroment constantly.
and on the flip side to that, i have like 6 spare PSU's. which all work... i buy a new one almost every time i build a machine. it comes in very handy when a friends pc dies, or i want to do test builds and stuff.
i've even had a case where my current PSU died and i've had to use one of my old ones. in fact, this machine i'm using now is using a recycled PSU that's been going strong for like 6 years now haha.

so yeah, a good quality PSU will last you for ages.

Human?
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I bought myself a Corsair AX850 when I needed more power than 550W. It's only been in use for about 6 months, but it's made wonders since then. It's very quiet and has an awesome black design. Corsair is supposed to be making some of the highest quality PSUs. I'd recommend it do anyone.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, quality always owns quantity, but the design of the PSU isn't really what matters to me ^^ My last PSU was a low budget one(20-30€), and yes, it was crap. The switch broke off as i turned it off. After that, i bought something in the middle (about 50-60€). No problems at all.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Usually it's a good idea to spend a few more bucks for a decent PSU's. Not only will it save you some euro/dollars/dinars etc. on the electric bill, it will also make your PC last longer. Most PC's I fixed were usually PC's with defect PSU's and in some cases they took the motherboards with them in their grave.

Good brand PSU are: Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic(The best imo), Chieftec, Enermax, Nexus.

There are more brands, but these are the ones I can come up with. But be warned even good PSU's brands have ****ty series, like Antec Basiq. Try to avoid these series.(The price tag most of the time says enough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom