A silly little cosmetic idea that's probably not worth mentioning....

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
..... but i'll still say it. Few hours ago i was visiting my friend and he was playing UT99 on my favorite map "morpheus". Those of you who still remember the game and that map might know that it had a fun little LCD display in all three of the skyscrapers which would show who is currently #1 with most kills so for some odd reason i thought that might be a nice addon to the city map. Add a large screen(similar to the one seen in the anime/manga during the cell saga) on one of the buildings and if possible code it to show player stats or something but i assume this would take a lot of work for something that cosmetic and irrelevant. Anyway that's it. Opinions?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds interesting. But im not sure how doable it is.

Meaning how much the coders would have to break their backs in order to get it working.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sounds interesting. But im not sure how doable it is.

Meaning how much the coders would have to break their backs in order to get it working.
Well yea that's what i said, i don't know how hard and/or time consuming it would be. It's only a silly idea that popped into my head when i was watching my pal play UT.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically another scoreboard attached to a map object.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds pretty interesting actually. ^^

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Not sure if this may affect the performance of the game. I think the original scoreboard only gets updated every time you press the scoreboard button, however, if you use an ingame scoreboard you've got to update it every x seconds, adding some network packets to the game.
But then again, I'm no HL expert so I'm not sure if it works this way.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not sure if this may affect the performance of the game. I think the original scoreboard only gets updated every time you press the scoreboard button, however, if you use an ingame scoreboard you've got to update it every x seconds, adding some network packets to the game.
But then again, I'm no HL expert so I'm not sure if it works this way.
Hm... Then isn't it possible to set the scoreboard to update itself everytime a kill/death is registered or something?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like a swell idea i think the only one that could determine this is raven

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could actually see this working. Perhaps Raven could code in an invisible camera that'll stay in one spot and occasionally follow players and then have it broadcast whatever it sees on the TV.

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Morpheus was an amazing map. Although for something like ESF, wouldn't the scoreboards have to be quite big? I can picture it in City or Cell_Games though.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Morpheus was an amazing map. Although for something like ESF, wouldn't the scoreboards have to be quite big? I can picture it in City or Cell_Games though.
Well yea i imagined it in the city map. I mean if you remember in the manga or better yet in the anime, when cell is broadcasting about cell games there is a huge screen on the TV station's building, so i imagined the scoreboard to show on a similar building. It'd be fun to look at + it could be a small distraction if someone stares at it so you can sneak up and get a free kill...

Best answers
The following camera is a good idea. Not for free-for-all battles, but 1 vs 1, or gang vs gang. And with spectators in front of the screen watching the close-ups. That'd be so entertaining... :shocked:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The following camera is a good idea. Not for free-for-all battles, but 1 vs 1, or gang vs gang. And with spectators in front of the screen watching the close-ups. That'd be so entertaining... :shocked:
Well i'd imagine that a "following camera" would be a big hit to the FPS. All i wanted was a simple scoreboard to show either the player with the best K : D ratio or maybe when someone dies it'd say who and by whom or something like that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i'd imagine that a "following camera" would be a big hit to the FPS. All i wanted was a simple scoreboard to show either the player with the best K : D ratio or maybe when someone dies it'd say who and by whom or something like that.
Hardly, unless the engine itself struggles with it. Many games have similar camera's. Prey and Portal both use systems like this in their portals.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hardly, unless the engine itself struggles with it. Many games have similar camera's. Prey and Portal both use systems like this in their portals.
Yea but there is a difference in engines. Who knows if the old GoldSrc would be able to preform like Source and id Tech 4. I remember that it was a big deal of hype concerning cameras when Half Life 2 tech demo's were presented, so it's obvious that something like that hasn't and maybe isn't even possible on GoldSrc

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, not really a difference in engines. The Source engine is basically a modified version of the GoldSource engine. That said, as you can see in recent screenshots, the original GoldSource engine has been modified quite a bit for ESF. The question you should be asking is not whether ESF could run this ingame-screen, but whether the team can be bothered to code it in.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, not really a difference in engines. The Source engine is basically a modified version of the GoldSource engine. That said, as you can see in recent screenshots, the original GoldSource engine has been modified quite a bit for ESF. The question you should be asking is not whether ESF could run this ingame-screen, but whether the team can be bothered to code it in.
Well that's also what i meant. I mean wouldn't it be easier to code a scoreboard instead of a following camera?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Easier? Yes. But is it more fun to have a following camera? Definitely.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well watching 2 screens being rendered at one time is kinda FPS consuming. As in it halves it unless done properly. And i doubt our coders want to go though that for such a small feature that wouldnt even be usable on all maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom