A Question to RPG Video Game Fans?

Best answers
As most of you know, the game industry is made up of atleast 80% of rpg fans alone. I always wondered and this is a question to rpg fans in general, why do you guys like rpg games so much?? i mean i know its a matter of taste and all ive played my fair share of them like kingdom hearts, some of the ff series on PS2 and ect and well, i couldnt stand playing them for more then 5 or 10 mins, they usally seem rather slow, boring, and choosing options for most of your attacks just dosent seem like my idea of total control over a game exactly, so as a question too fans of rpg? what's so appealing about them, ya know what makes them much more exciting or addicting then any fighting or fps game out there or something espically turn base rpg games?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not sure if it's 80%. A very large chunk are casual gamers who play nothing but EA's crappy sports games, and children who love LucasArts' rehashed StarWars games.

But personally, I like RPGs because it's the video game equivalent of reading a book. An interactive book, anyway. Some I like for different reasons--Final Fantasy Tactics I liked because of the strategy and the story. I personally like fighting games just as much, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The stories and characters and the depth in which they're portrayed. Also, because they're longer than most other types of game I find them more involving. It's also fantastic escapism, better than turning to alcoholism anyway :]

Best answers
Generally an RPG's main strength is the story, and characters. Final Fantasy games are generally fantastic in this area, as are Knights of the old Republic and Jade Empire. They're often extremely compelling, and as Ravendust said, due to the fact that RPG's are generally quite long they're very involving aswell, you end up getting very attached to characters before the end of the game. In games like Jade Empire, KotoR and Deus Ex, the dialogue branching really helps to personalise the experience aswell, and helps to keep you immersed by giving you enough choices to act how you want to. It feels like you've been placed in a new world, rather than controlling a character that you might not be able to relate to. To top it all off, there's the character customisation. Being able to level up and gain new skills and attributes is another way in which RPG's feel very personal, and it gives you a drive to keep playing because you really want reach that next level before turning it off.

All in all an RPG's greatest strength is, as Ravendust pointed out, the escapism they provide. When all of the points I mentioned are brought together it creates a very compelling and believeable world in which you can just get lost for hours. I really like Alea's description; "it's the video game equivalent of reading a book".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The story is usually always good

the characters are deeper than most you'd find in most non-RPG games (the only non RPG game that comes to mind where the story and characters are deep is Resident Evil games.....read the files.)

The special effects can get nice as well.

Also, the music is sometimes very good.

Like Alea said, its like an interactive book/movie/tv show/anime/ect. Sure there's a point a to point b type plot, but at least you're free to do whatever you want along the way.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I'm more of an RPG fan, I like actiong "rpg" games like Zelda, and few FPS games, the only FPS games I religiously play is Metroid Prime.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Also, don't doubt the compulsive power an RPG holds. The urge to get all the Stars/Shines in Mario pales in comparison to the amount of special quests, special items, mini-games, etc-to-infinty things you can do to boost the power of your character. For the obsessives among us nothing matches an RPG.

.. Of course, for me it's the story. :D

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
But personally, I like RPGs because it's the video game equivalent of reading a book. An interactive book, anyway..
That's exactly it for me. Many RPG's are, pretty much, books with graphics that allot you a certain amount of control over how the story unfolds (with particular emphasis on combat and some story-expanding side quests).

Don't get me wrong, I like FPS games, strategy games, old point-and-click puzzle/adventure games, as well as a few platformers. Those are all very addictive games that appeal to a different sense of fun. They appeal to something a lot more simple, in my opinion. This is where an RPG differs. Although RPG's aren't, in any way, realistic, they manage to have a VERY strong immersive effect on the player. One finds themself more and more curious about the backgrounds of their favourite characters. Once that has been established, one wants to see what the ultimate fate of their favourite character is.

The development of the story and, most importantly, its characters is what hooks people into RPG's. Granted, the micro-management may turn a fair bit of people away, but beyond that there is usually a very enjoyable story to follow with a rather diverse palette of characters to follow through that story.

That...and the soundtracks usually hook me in, too ^_^;

DMW

Best answers
1 Kingdom Hearts isnt an RPG its and adventure game(just letting you know)rpg games,well i like them because of the Story,character customiztion(some)I love the mysteries they can hold,i love to explore in games,Its fun,interactive(like above)man i love everthing about rpg games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom