A new Live Action Street Fighter movie

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
October 30, 2006 - A new Street Fighter movie is coming! Forget about the silliness of the 1994 film version that starred Jean-Claude Van Damme, Hyde Park Entertainment and Capcom are teaming up to produce a new flick based on the classic fighting videogame.

Variety scoops that screenwriter Justin Marks has been asked to pen the script for the movie which will reportedly center around the game's prolific female fighter, Chun Li. As you might expect, the other details of the story are being kept secret.

Marks recently finished writing the screenplay for another project that will likely get fanboys excited, a movie based on the popular 1980s toy line and cartoon series, Voltron: Defender of the Universe.

According to Variety, Street Fighter is set for a 2008 release; that happens to be the 20th anniversary of the videogame franchise.

Fans of the franchise may remember persistent rumors from recent years about a new Street Fighter film in development with Dolph Lundgren and Van Damme. There was some additional buzz that Australian actress Holly Valance (DOA) would star -- she might not make a bad Chun Li. However, this news appears unrelated to those rumors and should put them to rest once and for all.
Source: http://movies.ign.com/articles/742/742504p1.html

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Sigh....*

Street Fighter...

Best answers
Well, already we have a problem.

Chun-Li is... get this... CHINESE. If you're gonna cast someone to play Chun-Li, choose someone who ISN'T white.

In fact, she would be perfect for the role.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man...it's just not worth it. Raul Julia was the best Bison ever. Even better than the cartoon version. Without him, this movie will fail.

Unless they use actual street fighter moves and Zangief stays a villain and Blanka isn't Charlie. That was retarded.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well... with todays CGI technology... it may be a cult classic, or just a recycled mess because of it's script.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
do they really need to rape my choice in games more than they already did?

Best answers
Wow man... now that I think about it.... that street fighter movie was really.................. terrible.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It MIGHT be good. Capcom is overseeing the project after all.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Well Paul Anderson isn't directing, so there' hope.

very small, but its still going to be balls I bet.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As long as they can make the Hadoken and Shoryuken look good in live action...I'll see it :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The way technology is today, they better not mess up the effects.

Best answers
Hey, if Jeremy from Pure Pwnage can make the hadoken and shoryuken look good without any CG at all, I'm sure that Hollywood can do a good hadoken and shoryuken.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think they should make another live action movie of Street Fighter. The whole idea to me is the same as making a live action movie of Dragon Ball Z. I will admit though, it might be something interesting to see, but let's just hope they don't take the same path they did with the first live action Street Fighter movie by butchering all of the characters and story-line. For now, all we can do is speculate and hope Akuma will make an appearance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
vin diesel as akuma

lol.

yeah chun li is chinese.... but shes huge.... you wont find any chinese girls as big as chun li, so we have to pick from our amazon sized white women.

idk... i'd rather just see a new hand drawn uber effects 2.5 hour long anime thing or a full cg movie like advent children or something.

Best answers
i think japan made a live action dragonball movie cant remember tho

regarded chun li i would say the woman from Sin City might fit nice Devon Aoki

Edit again: And yes i was right they did make a Live Action Dragonball movie in 1993 called Dragonball The Magic Begins

Best answers
if its 20 times better than the last street fighter live action movie i might go see it... if my friends all invite me. but yah last street fighter movie = teh suck, i hope this one is a lot better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gama said:
i think japan made a live action dragonball movie cant remember tho

regarded chun li i would say the woman from Sin City might fit nice Devon Aoki

Edit again: And yes i was right they did make a Live Action Dragonball movie in 1993 called Dragonball The Magic Begins
Devon Aoki would make a terrible Chun Li. Hell, she makes a terrible Kasumi.

But it is true that there will be a hard time trying to find a woman who's leg muscles are bigger than her entire torso, but from a realistic point of view, I doubt it will truely matter.

I just hope they get an actual kung-fu movie choreographer like from crouching tiger, kung fu hussle, ect. Then the actual fights themselves would look good and not, well, cheesy. *coughDOAcough*

This is how game-to-movie adaptations should be though. No purchasing the license to make a movie and leave it at that. The actual game developers and scrip writers need to oversee the project. As we all have seen, without being overseen, it'll become trash (with the exception of Silent Hill, but that movie was made by diehard Slent Hill fans and not people looking to make a quick buck from the game name. I'm looking at YOU, Uwe Boll).

It seems the really big-named franchises are being overseen by their respective companies now, not counting Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil as they're already dying.

Halo is being overseen by microsoft, bungie, and peter jackson (who from what I understand is a die-hard fan).

Also, Metroid is going to be overseen by Nintendo and produced and directed by some big-name oriental directors (or something along that line) so "no american hack of a director can butcher it's good name."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom