A little upgrading

Best answers
Ok, so I don't have anything near what one would call a gaming computer, so I'm looking to upgrade, and I was looking for some help. I'm student teaching now, so I don't have much of an income, so I'm trying to do this with around 120-150 bones. Mostly what I want is some RAM, which I've kinda found through just a general search, and a GFX card. Now I don't want anything super, but I do want to be able to play HL2, and I'd like to be able to do so fairly smoothly, but again, money is a real constrictor here. Currently have 2.4 gig processor 256 RAM and Integrated Graphics :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Before we upgrade, let's find out what would be best for you. Download a program called CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the CPU tab open along with the Mainboard tab. Then, I(we) can get to helping you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a sad day when I say this, but you won't be going very far with this ... at all. You have no AGP slot and your processor is on a very limited FSB (Front Side Bus). Any upgrade you make now will be completely bottlenecked by the rest of the system. It's time to start saving your money for a new one if you want to play HL2 well.

Best answers
Damn this POS

Thanks for trying Smith, but is there anything I can do, or will doing something like buying just RAM or a ****ty graphics card be completely futile?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You would have nowhere to put said ****ty graphics card in your computer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Brim said:
Damn this POS

Thanks for trying Smith, but is there anything I can do, or will doing something like buying just RAM or a ****ty graphics card be completely futile?
Any money you spend will be a waste of money. You can get a PCI graphics card, but... don't expect miracles and/or good FPS. You could also buy RAM, but it'd be kind of pointless as your processor's bus is low.

Best answers
Ah, ok, guess I'm gonna have to convice my buddy to help me build one out of his scrap pieces, thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom