A gamers net connection should be........

Best answers
Hey, I have jetstarter (DSL), but its only good in my country, so what do you
"hard core gamers" use :]

Best answers
Anything faster than dialup and its playable!
Just depends how many people you want to play against.
Lots of people = need for higher speed connection.
You cannot say you have played a game properly online and owned untill you have broad band..

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know what a "gamer's" ideal connection speed should be... but I've got a 100Mbit LAN connection. ph34r teh heeppo!

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
My connection is awesome for getting pron when I need it.

er..not pron game GAMES yea games. o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my upload sucks compared to my download.... but who needs upload!!
oh yea and um, cable for me o_O

Best answers
there is no such thing as an "ideal connection", as long as you have a high speed, and can maintain a high upload/download speed and low ping it doesn't matter what it is, but if i had a choice i'd have a 2.5 mbps connection... a friend of mine has it and it pwns u'r w0r1D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it depends on where you live too.. at some places DSL is faster than cable.. on other places cable is faster.. there are ways to test that... off course, if you would want to be a "perfect" gamer.. you'll need:
a T3-connection
a fast computer (p4 3ghz or such, also a a good videocard is highly reccomended)
good sound, such as 7.1 surround
a good MOUSE! not a logitec optic blahblah.. more like a Razor Boomslang 2000, this is the only mouse with 2000 DPI.. the highest optic mouse ive ever seen was 800dpi.. razor is an extremely sensitive mouse designed especially for gamers

i dont have all this.. i wish... id pawn you all!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It just depends on the situation. I've got 3.0M/768KB cable, gives me damn good ping. ;)

Best answers
If your playing in a server, you basically just need cable, but if you want to host a server, just about anything better than cable would be best, since cable just blows for hosting servers imo, since i'v only been doing it for 8 years o_o

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I manage Diabolo and Diablo 2 just fine on 56k as well as some of the older games (Dukematches!!!)

but games of today seem to be a different story.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
diablo 2 rally isnt that demanding on cpnnections me and my brother used to split a 56k and both play online without much lag,

we have since switched to dsl, (not very good dsl)

it originally went around 250 kbps on downloads, but after we "upgraded" it i rarely get it to 150,

usual ping is 80-100, which is fine for me, after using dialup for so many years,

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have Comcast Cable and it owns for gaming and d/l stuff.

Best answers
nuttzy said:
diablo 2 rally isnt that demanding on cpnnections me and my brother used to split a 56k and both play online without much lag,

we have since switched to dsl, (not very good dsl)

it originally went around 250 kbps on downloads, but after we "upgraded" it i rarely get it to 150,

usual ping is 80-100, which is fine for me, after using dialup for so many years,

Thats kind of what i have, i was on 56k dialup as well, but just changing to
DSL made me think about the best connection. :idea:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use cable when I used to live in Houston it was slow as hell but where I live now is really fast.. So cable and T3? the hell!? there such thing now? WHERE TO GET!?

Best answers
I'm on Charter cable and get 300k/s downloads (40$ a month). For a gamer, the best connection is cable, simply because it rarely spikes, unlike a lot of DSL ISPs.

Best answers
Tassadar said:
I'm on Charter cable and get 300k/s downloads (40$ a month). For a gamer, the best connection is cable, simply because it rarely spikes, unlike a lot of DSL ISPs.
I agree with Tassadar. I'm on Charter Cable as well getting 290k/s, and it never spikes. I used my friends DSL at the same speed, and he spikked in the high hundreds.........

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have been a 56ker since the good ol' days of Doom II, and have been on 56k since, im good enough with it, if I get on DSL its over for all online gaming communities :p (Or maybe not). I just ignore the lag, thats how I manage to keep up. With the old HL netcode I used to take advantage of it and warp around the level while my enemies were constantly getting confused as of to my whereabots, and I manage to "lag-warp" behind them :p

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Magus and I both have Cox cable. I live near one of the inner-city nodes on their network, so I've experienced a rather stable connection since getting it (6 months ). I've never been dropped once, except for when they assigned my modem a new IP address, and all I did was reboot the modem and was back online again.

My max download speed is around 425 k/s, but my upload is a pathetic 32 k/s. It's good for playing on servers (anything in the eastern half of the US has < 50 ping), but it's CRAP for hosting games with more than 3-4 people.

I pay $40, so I'd say it's the ideal connection for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom