A game with "Realistic Combat"

Best answers
I've been trying to find something like this for a while..a long while.Now by realistic combat I don't mean that I want it literally like real life.No, what I mean is that I want a game that has realistic ANIMATIONS for the combat..I don't like games that have the most unrealisic combat moves ever like Devil May cry or stuff like that.I allways wanted to have a character who has skills in combat and I don't mind him to be a bit unrealistic in it,but for the most part it would be nice not to see him flip seven times in the air before he kicks someone :).Games like Batman Arkham..Batman's moves were amazing..Especially the counters.Batman's moves were dominant, brutal, and very satisfying to see.Arkham Asylum had incredible moves.Arkham City implemented multiple counters..that were dissapointing to me because of the animations..Great concept..bad execution. Assassin's creed 3 was amazing as well.Connor was an amazing fighter.Those moves were very brutal, and realistic in execution.My view of realism in this is that I want the character to do posible moves in real life.The urealistic part that I don't mind is him being able to take down 30 guys by himself.Now these games have great combat animations..but really easy to execute..just press a button.I would love to see an in depth combat system in a game that can really make you think like a fighter...but unfortunately all those games have crappy fight animations..I think asking for a game that has a fighting system with awesome animations and hard combat is pretty much a miracle...
Also please don"t recommand mortal kombat or tekken because they are exclusive for consoles, and all I have is a pc.
I would really appreciate if someone knows such a game..or even remotely close to it.And if it would be either awesome fight animations or hard combat..I prefer animations...So, what do you guys recommand? :)

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Witcher 2. Very good combat animations and quite a challenging game. Was 2 pounds on steam btw... You can take two or three enemies out at once (especially later) but more than that and you're really gambling with your skills. You may be a mutant monster slayer, but you die just like any other human in that game. You have to plan for situations, listen and wait, take your time before you rush into combat. It is among THE most beautiful games on the PC right now, it has a great story and characters, awesome music, awesome friendly developers and lots and lots of free content that was added later with patches, content that other companies would charge you money for.

Mount and Blade Warband. Very simplistic combat, but it has THE most satisfying horse combat ever put in any game. It has a decent and quite addictive single player and fun multi player, and it's the only 'realistic'-ish proper medieval simulator game I know, of outside of multiplayer only games like War of the Roses and that other one that I won't bother remembering and of course the upcoming Kingdoms Come: Deliverance which looks promising but is nowhere near being done by any means.
Anyway, Warband has great support for mods of all sorts. Want to play in a world entirely based of, Lord of the Rings? Great. Game of Thrones? Awesome. Feudal Japan? Yup there's that too.(and that one even comes with custom samurai-ish animations) Hell I can safely say that, A clash of Kings (the Game of Thrones Themed Mod for this game) is the only good Game of Thrones RPG out there.

Depending on how sensitive you are to bad to average voice acted dialogue, you could give Two Worlds II a try. Like I said if you're very sensitive to bad to average voice actors or if you don't know German (because the german voice-actors are far superior to the English ones), then I would give this a pass. It has some quite decent combat, it is a little mash mash, but it is satisfying and the animations are not bad, it has a fairly interesting world filled with all sorts of nasty creatures, from baboons throwing poo (well... they say those are rocks) at you to giant tarantulas to giant scorpions to wyverns... look I'm saying this game has all sorts of creatures... been playing it for a while and I'm still discovering new outlandish beasts I've never even imagined existed. Oh and the soundtrack is one of the most beautiful I've ever listened to in any RPG. Very catchy and memorable and well played.

This one is quite old, but if you can have a look at Jade Empire. It was made by the Bioware of old so this means the story is nothing short of brilliant, with awesome characters. It has very interesting and challenging martial arts style combat, and it's the only game I know that even does something like that in an RPG... oh and it has Nathan Fillion playing a **** in it. Best. Game. Ever!

Sleeping Dogs has an arkham style combat only with kung fu and environmental kills which can be quite brutal and satisfying to pull off. (not as good as Arkham unfortunately) It's a beautiful game set in Hong Kong, it has a decent story, but with very good professional voice actors, major props for the man behind the protagonist, Will Yung Lee. Oh and it has Emma Stone in it.

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition. It's on PC. No longer console exclusive. It's not really what you're looking for from what I see, but it's out on PC. Same for Injustice: Gods Among us. Very fun both of them and very well ported and playable. Also both are likely to be on a heavy sale soon so keep a look out

Now this is an early access game is no way representative of the final project and in no way close to being finished (alpha 0.02) and in no way bug less, but what it does have is very interesting. It has surprisingly good survival mechanics for it's early alpha stage where you can craft shelters, traps, boats, fences to keep the local cannibal mutants away, and speaking of the encounters with those a**holes, those have some of the best programmed AI I have seen in any game ever, especially for a game in this early a stage. When the encounter you they don't just attack you immediately. They stand at a distance and look at you. They threaten you. If you try and run from them they will follow you and keep a distance, almost as if studying your moves. If you attack and kill some of them the others may retreat and call for back-up. They can climb trees and jump on you from the higher ground. Females behave differently to males. And the combat is quite brutal and satisfying to pull off. I mean when you hit one of those a**holes you really feel like your slowly but surely chopping them into pieces. It's quite a terrifying game to play too, because the sounds are done brilliantly. You can wander around through the forest sneaking around trying to not be seen and you'll always hear strange sounds that sound as if someone is near you but when you check it's just leaves falling. Hell this game keeps you on edge. Lots of good things about it but I would still say wait. It's still in very, very early stages. Ph and you can cut down trees, as in actually cut a tree by chopping it with an axe and see it fall over... and then see it turn into four logs but still holly hell that never gets old to do.

Now if you want combat and don't care what you're fighting exactly I would also give State of Decay a go. A very beautifully and surprisingly well made game. Has one of the most satisfying combat against zombies ever with all sorts of neat moves that you can pull of based on what speciality you want your characters to have. They are not too over the top like in Dead Rising and you get a decent selection of blunt weapons such as wrenches, frying pans, 2x4's etc, Heavy Weapons: Axes, Shovles, and My favorite, Sledgehammers, Edged weapons such as machetes and small axes and a few selection of guns that you could occasionally use assuming you don't want to attract too many zombies your way. You can really take on hordes of them and come out of it alive, but doing it too much is asking for trouble because characters get tired after a lot of hitting things and this could mean the end for you if you run into one of the more dangerous types of zombies such as the feral one or the juggernaut (goddamn the juggernaut is terrifying as hell). The story of the game is quite decent to play through and they even released a DLC called Breakdown where you can play infinite mode where enemies get more difficult to deal with the more you play. It's like the story mode basically but it can't end and you kinda create your own story with the characters that you have and what you have happen to them.

These are some of the games that I proudly own in my Steam and GoG Libraries that I think would fit you're requirements, may mention more if I remember them, but depending on your wallet do check them out. Also keep an eye on the Steam Summer Sale as a lot of these game will be there for very cheap.

Last edited:
Best answers
Wow...I thought I was the only one who enjoys a good combat in games...:).
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and most importantly taking some of your valuable time to put togheter such a massive post rich with details.It really means a lot to me.
I searched all of the games on youtube to see their gameplay and they were pretty nice.I had a very pleasant surprise in State of Decay..for starters.I've always wanted a game in wich you fight against zombies hand to hand.If the main protagonist would have been a martial arts expert it would instantly become my new favourite game.
Also Two worlds 2 was awesome as well.
I am very tolerant to bad voice acting(I played Assassin's creed Brotherhood after all) :).I wanted to have a main character that uses both a bow and a sword fight ever since I played Warrior Within.I know it didn't have ,but till the very end of the game I hoped that I would get a bow...sadly, i didn't.And Assassin's creed 3 doesn't count.That bow was useless.

The withcher 2 was a nice game but I'm not really a big fan of magic, and the animations looked clunky.Nevertheless, I will give it a try when time permits.
Jade empire was interesting if not for the magic.
Sleeping dogs really caught my eye! I will definetly make it my top priority in games.
I had no ideea mortal kombat came to pc in komplete edition!That is great news to me.I am a huge fan..just that I couldn' play it.Do you happen to know if this includes deadly alliance and deception?

All in all Sleeping dogs was what made my day simply because you can learn new moves and it was very cool to see a fighter in a game with many other distractions.
This is what I forgot to mention in my post.It would be awesome if the protagonist knows martial arts or is a martial arts master..If progression is included..even better.That's why I like Batman, Connor...they trained to be who they are.And this is why I prefer Goku over Superman...but I'm digressing.
If anyone else has more games in mind please share..

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the greatest combat games I have ever played is Lugaru. Once Overgrowth comes out, Lugaru's sequel, I am hoping it will replace the original. Its more of fanboyism and personal taste, but the mixture of ragdolls and counter mastery made the game so much fun for me. Note that Lugaru is an old game made by the dev when he was in high school.

[video=youtube;LWTxaAj5w-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTxaAj5w-4#t=20[/video] [video=youtube;71Dc5oUzib8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Dc5oUzib8[/video]

And Overgrowth, while still in alpha, already has wonderful combat. A lot more work is still to be done though.

[video=youtube;pcYshui1Fi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYshui1Fi0[/video]

Since Mount & Blade is mentioned, I won't need to repeat it. puma's list is pretty damn good too.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Overgrowth is brilliant. The combat animations are brutal and very satisfying to pull off. It's very early acces, but it's quite functional.

One more I keep forgetting to play.

Shadow Warrior (the most recent remake). It has THE best first person sword animations that I have seen in any game. If you like slaughtering foolish humans and demons and if you like old school FPS then this is definitely a hell of a game to try out. It is quite over the top but the protagonist and another character that he gets stuck with have some hilarious interactions from time to time.

Yes you can play characters in State of Decay and you can make them use only hand to hand. Unfortunately I don't think you can specialize in this directly, only indirectly like unlocking the ability to kill 2 zombies at the same time by smashing their heads into each other in the fighting section. But I don't think there are any hand to hand specific upgrades you can get. Probably because hey generally speaking, beating up zombies with your bare hands is possible, but very risky. But if you think a certain character would only use fists and feet, then yes you can make him do that, but you're playing on a slightly harder difficult at that point. It's up to you how you build who. My personal favourite: I always build the natural born leader as a heavy weapons wielding juggernaut, that can take on the actual Juggernaut on his own. I always like those lead by example and through strength types, so that's probably why. Psychopaths, well I always like to equip those with pathetic weapons such as frying pans... I mean they would be resourceful enough to kill things with it anyway. Leave the more efficient weapons to those who don't excel as much in combat. And so on and so forth. Oh there is no exact main protagonist. If a character dies, you gather his remains and the story moves on. In the story mode there are story important characters that won't die, for the stories sake, mainly because they refuse to go off and fight zombies or gather supplies. In breakdown however, no one is safe. If you lose somebody and you though boy did he/she have an interesting background... then they're gone, but the story moves on, with other survivors.

All I know and really care about MK:KE is that it has those newly added characters such as Rain, scarlet or something (the ***** that likes blood alot), Freddy, and that annoying a**hole that's blind and wields a sword. Kratos unfortunately is Play Station Exclusive. Since it is the Komplete Edition, it should have everything else that the Console versions had. The next MK will come to PC too, without a delay this time.

Last edited:
Best answers
Overgrowth is brilliant. The combat animations are brutal and very satisfying to pull off. It's very early acces, but it's quite functional.

All I know and really care about MK:KE is that it has those newly added characters such as Rain, scarlet or something (the ***** that likes blood alot), Freddy, and that annoying a**hole that's blind and wields a sword. Kratos unfortunately is Play Station Exclusive. Since it is the Komplete Edition, it should have everything else that the Console versions had. The next MK will come to PC too, without a delay this time.
Couldn't care less about Kratos. I wish Batman would have been added in Mortal Kombat.But he doesn't kill.It would be epic to hear the commentator say:BATMAN WINS!FLAWLESS VICTORY.
Overgrowth and Kugaru look awesome, but they have few fighting moves.I only say 3(Sweep kick,judo throw and the spinning hook kick) plus the normal punching.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Found another. Also martial arts. This one however is not grounded in reality as much as Sleeping Dogs is and you have some kung-fu moves that are physically impossible to pull of, but hey martial arst is martial arts. Kung Fu Strike: The warriors rise. It has very satisfying over the top martial arts combat. But it is also brutally difficult... well not quite but this game is hard. I play it in moderation for 2 reasons: 1. I suck at this game so I get beat up a lot and 2. I really don't want to break my controller, or keyboard.

This one is a more unusual one. Blade Symphony. It's multi player only and it contains Anime style sword fighting. With extreme over the top animations wall running etc. The game itself has a very Anime feel to it. For a multi player title though the animations are really really good.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Batman Eternal said:
Overgrowth and Kugaru look awesome, but they have few fighting moves.I only say 3(Sweep kick,judo throw and the spinning hook kick) plus the normal punching.
Yes the games have a limited number of moves, but all those moves are context sensitive. They change depending on your position and distance from the target. The simplicity of the moves allows you to focus on your opponent instead of what combos you are going to use. It allows you to be more reactive.

Try the lugaru demo, and play it for a while. It has a steep learning curve. If after playing for a bit you feel the game isn't for you, then you can move on.

Last edited:
Best answers
Thanks for the suggestions.I will try a few of these out.Especially sleeping dogs.I hope assassin's creed unity will have a good combat system.I understand that they made it difficult again.Maybe it will be the perfect blend between hard combat and good animations.And I know for a fact that Batman Arkham Knight will deliver the best combat.Origins was a let down.They changed batman's animations to make him look like a street brawler, which made no sense, and the few moves that they gave him must have been from some shepherd.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
A game wich comes to my mind wich had a pretty good combad system is ONI...but it's kinda old

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
looks kinda boring to me :F

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
looks kinda boring to me :F
Give it a try. Its a game heavily inspired by ghost in the shell. Plot is anime style of simple, but the gameplay itself is pretty exsciting. BTW the thing with the robot is a mod, not the official game. The game can be pretty tough really.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Give it a try. Its a game heavily inspired by ghost in the shell. Plot is anime style of simple, but the gameplay itself is pretty exciting. BTW the thing with the robot is a mod, not the official game. The game can be pretty tough really.
OMG Oni.. that game was amazingly fun and satisfying. Many great games here. Realistic combat thought that's a tough one for sure. Shadow Warrior is a little over the top like mentioned before, but the sword play is pretty much the best that's been done in a game, and requires far more skill than something like Batman, which if you ask me is just fighting with training wheels on. Sure it's precise, but it's utterly repetitive. Breakdown was a classic with some very interesting hand to hand combat, rather diverse for it's time. The Rid**** games have some satisfyingly realistic combat and I believe you can get them on PC. Probably some of the best pure hand to hand out there, with brutal and amazing counters if you have the skills to pull them off.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Heh he the system thought you said ****...

How could I have forgotten about the Vin Diesel Game? I still somehow don't own it! WTF?

and it's on GOG and it's discounted too....

Aaaaah!

Last edited:
Best answers
OMG Oni.. that game was amazingly fun and satisfying. Many great games here. Realistic combat thought that's a tough one for sure. Shadow Warrior is a little over the top like mentioned before, but the sword play is pretty much the best that's been done in a game, and requires far more skill than something like Batman, which if you ask me is just fighting with training wheels on. Sure it's precise, but it's utterly repetitive. Breakdown was a classic with some very interesting hand to hand combat, rather diverse for it's time. The Rid**** games have some satisfyingly realistic combat and I believe you can get them on PC. Probably some of the best pure hand to hand out there, with brutal and amazing counters if you have the skills to pull them off.
I don't understand. The Rid**** games?What do you mean?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
The Chronicles of Rid d i c k. It's only one game and it apparenitly has one of the best first person punching combat action out there, with brutal and nice looking takedowns.

I kept forgetting to download and play it for years now. No more. It's almost downloaded for me. You can find it here and it's even nicely discounted.

God I love you GOG... soo much! Marry me!

EDIT: Ok never mind this forum censors the link too... god dammit!.

Search for The chronicles of Rid d i c k on GOG without the spaces on http://www.gog.com/ you'll find it there if you or anyone is interested.

EDIT 2: Never mind it's two games but they are both put in one.

Last edited:
Best answers
I think we have a winner in this thread.And by miles.Sleeping dogs really is amazing in hand to hand combat.If anyone finds a better hand to hand combat than that I'll really be impressed.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I think we have a winner in this thread.And by miles.Sleeping dogs really is amazing in hand to hand combat.If anyone finds a better hand to hand combat than that I'll really be impressed.

The original game from which sleeping dogs derived from. Also known as True Crime: Streets of LA

Or if we go dreamcast emulation. The grand daddy of all games featuring the first QTEs and a combat system straight out of virtua fighter along with RPG elements and so many additional tidbits that youd have to complete it at least 30 times to see all possible events. Shenmue (said to be one of the best games ever made sadly never released a third or fourth part to finish the story, but 1 and 2 are just awe inspiring)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom