A chance for damaged characters?

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I know that damaged characters can't be done because it would result on having to make very skins for each different kind of damage to each character. But how about openning an exception? I mean having 2 skins only - a totally damaged skin and keep the original skins already done. I know, it wouldnt make any sense to reach a certain HP where you pass from a guy in tuxedo to a guy in tiny destroyed shorts, but this could happen only if a guy is hitten by a beam that drains 500 HP from him. Or something that takes 500 or more HP from him.

I'm just trying to find a small chance for damaged characters, because I think it would be a nice eye candy.

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
your not considiring the model limit the halflife engine has doing stuff like that would mean extra models meaning the xm,l tool for making more characters would become useless

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
:] .... I forgot about that. I was only considering the main characters

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Allso think of our poor DT ^^

What would happen if heed have to do a new set of animations for those damaged chars in XD

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

What would happen if heed have to do a new set of animations for those damaged chars in XD
Couldt they use the same animations as the usual models?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I said "what if"

Actually i think it could be done with submodels. Like Trunks using his sword in 1.2 ^^

3 models in 1 ^^

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I said "what if"

Actually i think it could be done with submodels. Like Trunks using his sword in 1.2 ^^

3 models in 1 ^^

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes but you associated the "what if" to my suggestion, what makes a comon person to model making like me, to ask what I asked. Never mind details`^^

Now with Kung-Fu action!
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

He better get started then if he had to do them :).

The idea of damaged characters is a nice one but is too much hassle to warrant using it. Blood decals are another story though...

Beta Tester Squad
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
isent it easyer for a dmg character custom models ??

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
your not considiring the model limit the halflife engine has doing stuff like that would mean extra models meaning the xm,l tool for making more characters would become useless
well, we dont rly care about model limits....in fact they don't exist anymore for us^^

I said "what if"

3 models in 1 ^^
submodels aren't needed, different skins would be enough

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
There are 40 different player models. The amount of edits... needed

And textured battledamage always looks craptacular, if you want it to look half decent you need to use some modeling, then you need to edit uv's, edit textures etc, re-rig... you're talking about 4-6 hours work on average per model. It's possible, yes, but worth the hassle? no.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's make it short: no.

It will take too much time, and as Dave said, we have 40 different models. Imagine the custom animations and skins that would have to be done for this silly eye candy.

It's been suggested before, and it's been denied before. We are NOT going to add battle damaged characters.

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I was only refering damage to the main characters and not the custom ones. But even so, so much worktime for each character is complicated I understand.

Let's make it short: no.

It will take too much time, and as Dave said, we have 40 different models. Imagine the custom animations and skins that would have to be done for this silly eye candy.

It's been suggested before, and it's been denied before. We are NOT going to add battle damaged characters.
I had already understood the "no" from what's been said, I know damaged characters are allways denied I was just trying to find a small chance. I know it was suggested before but not the way I was suggesting. People allways suggested having damaged characters for each HP reached, and that was not my point of view, I was intending to facilitate things, because, you know damaged characters would bring ESF to another level. But OK, its not possible in any way, then its not possible at all and we just have to accept it.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I was only refering damage to the main characters and not the custom ones. But even so, so much worktime for each character is complicated I understand.
David wasnt really talking about characters.

He was talking about models. Goku has 4 models so that would be round 20+ hours only for Goku.

Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
New blood decals would definitely add to ESF and take away from generic Half-Life.
Its the little details that count sometimes.

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
David wasnt really talking about characters.

He was talking about models. Goku has 4 models so that would be round 20+ hours only for Goku.
Yeah, that would make it like 35 models (for the main characters) x 5 hours = 175 hours

Best answers
why isnt enought just draw some wounds in the actual skin??
(i saw this feature in a mod that i dont remember the name.. not a HL mod anyway..)

sucess

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like crap when you do that.

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
what skiwan is trying to say is that its better to do it by model so you can make open wounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom