8gb ram problem..

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey people,

Been a long time, glad to see ESF is still in process!

Anyways, i have a P5N-E SLI motherboard and recently bought 2x2 2gb sticks to put in, 4gb worked nice so i ordered another 4.. now my bios nor windows OS can detect i have 8gb installed, only 4, i've swapped teh ram around and tested seperately and all work..

after a couple of days searching on the internet, ringing up companies, i can not get a solution!

I am begging now! i have changed the timings to 5-5-5-15, even dropped the MHz to 667 and raised the voltage to 1.9 but still.. it doesn't work,

Any tips?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
update your bios?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing I can think of is this: first, quadruple check that it's actually compatible with your mobo. Just because you can configure it in a compatible way, doesn't mean it's compatible. Is the brand reliable? Have you tried switching out the new chip into the old configuration to make sure it's not fried?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about 6gb, does that work? All I can find on 8gb with this motherboard is that a lot of people seem to have problems with it. But different problems than you have, they seem to have the 8gb working, but keep getting BSODs. Even at higher voltages. You should definitly update your BIOS if possible, and you could always check to see if 6gb works.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thanks for the replies,i took 1 stick out leaving me with 3 still plugged in and strangely enough it showed 2gb.. the rm isnt faulty, the work all separately.. i've increased the voltage to the memory and lowered the memory MHz and still nothing,, i really am speechless

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does every slot work with each module? Could be manufacturing leftovers in 2 of the slots. Did you update the bios? Do not randomly increase supply voltage. Too little voltage would more likely result in BSODs or post failures than not recognizing 2 sticks of RAM.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like a bad motherboard. Maybe you got a faulty one. Try RMAing it and calling their support. What speed is the RAM running at? The max is listed at "8 GB up to DDR2-800" though I feel you've probably already checked. Also, the clock in the BIOS is the DDR clock, which is two times the real clockspeed so be careful with that as well.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when i increased the memory voltage, i only raised the voltage to 2.1 max... the ram default is running at 800mhz.. i have tried reducing to speed to 400mhz but still nothing.. but what i find really strange is.. the bios doesn't even detect there is 8gb installed, it tells me 4gb is only installed and only 4gb is usable... from how this is looking, it looks like the mobo is broken.. or at the least the other 2 memory dimm slots are inactive.
i have read over the internet people with similar problems just enabled memory remapping.. in which fixed this type of problem.. however... i'm sure its well hidden in my bios or the mobo doesn't support this feature.. and yes i updated the bios to latest.. believe it is 1401.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've read that your mobo should have that memory remap feature in version 1330. So either they took it out, or they have hidden it really well.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm.. well a bit of good news anyways.. i was retesting the ram separately again.. i started off with 1 stick, then 2,,3.. etc.. i managed to read 6gb this time, so i plugged the 4th in and bam, we have 8gb!

dont ask, i'm not completely sure how it is working,.. i think it something to do the memory slots matching up correctly.. saying that, all the sticks are exactly the same anyway.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Jay-David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom