The archive forum is gone, forever! *sadface*

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I won't be creating an archived forum that contains all the 2001 / 2005 to 8? posts. It's gone.. forever! :'(

INSTEAD

I've done something better!

For the past 20 hours (+ 7 hours of sleep) I've been working on the forum archives non-stop. Rather than creating a separated forum with the archives; I've succeeded in to importing the archived database in to a copy of the ESF forums that I've created today. This means, that soon in the future the forums will be back in it's original state. Users (if I'm not mistaken), posts, threads.. mostly Everything will be back again. I'm saying "mostly", because there seems to be a few pages of threads which are not recoverable. But 98% (estimated) of all threads & posts are successfully restored.

^ Check the dates of the posts.

Now, as you can see in the above images things went extremely well. It went even better than I expected. You can ignore the "imported" usernames you see. I never tagged the option to merge the archived usernames with the already existing ones. I still have some testing to do to make sure everything works.

And once it does, I'll schedule a date/time to shutdown the forums as importing over 900.000 posts is taking up a lot of time. So the forums will be most likely down for a full day to make sure everything works as it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
The cake is a lie, sorry.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hum...I had an account on the old forum, what will happen with that? Can my join date and whatnot be merged?:p

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Hum...I had an account on the old forum, what will happen with that? Can my join date and whatnot be merged?:p
Share your older account name and I'll look it up if it still exists. I still have the imported forums locally on my machine.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
But this sandwich in my hand isnt.

So does this mean Lid will get his account unpurged?
Unknown. I can't find Lid on the merged forums. Lid (<- and only these 3 letters) is is forum name? If the account no longer exist, it may be possible to for me to re-create the username and attach it to his own threads which might be switched to "guest" as the username no longer exists.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Share your older account name and I'll look it up if it still exists. I still have the imported forums locally on my machine.
Should be the same name, or Mkilbride2599, that's all I really used, if it's not there, then whatever, not a huge deal.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I can only seem to find 1 post containing "Mkilbride2599", which is the nice game screenshot thread. It contains over 50 pages, so it's hard to search for it. You can all check for the usernames and your own threads once the merge is complete and live.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sky Lid posted only in offtopic. He was a heavy poster with 0 posts.

He was famous for it, not to mention proud of it XD

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I have found "lid" by searching a few pages within the off-topic section. From the looks of it, all lid's posts are set to guest.

Theoretically, this can be solved by re-creating the account and replace all of the guest posts with his profile with a sql query to re-add everything back to normal. So regardless who has their username set to guest, it can be solved.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is like blood transfusion for forums.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looking forward to it. I kind of want to check out the old melee suggestion thread that pcjoe made before 1.2's release.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm currently doing a second import with the option enabled to merge the archive accounts with the existing accounts to prevent "imported" usersnames. If all goes well, I shall wait until I get the chance to add it on the real life forums (this one).

edit:

There might be a possible side-effect once I have imported the users. There's a php error laying around to imported (new) users which have their birthday incorrect. The quick solution for this is to reset everyone's birthday non-existing thus you have to reset your own birthday date. Anyone is having a problem with that?

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Resetting my birthday is a small price to pay. You got my vote. :yes:

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
The convert will most likely be done next Sunday or a few days after that. If things goes well.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Some updates:

Successfully merge on the server side :). There are about 100 imported users that needs to be fixed, but should be relative easy.

edit:

Even more good news. Guest posts can be easily replaced with a simple query with a real profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom