Fading destruction animation

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Before anyone says anything I know very well destruction is not possible in ESF:Final with few prop xceptions and maybe some sort of decals. This thread is more of a question really.

In this video here =>
[video=youtube;YytOxMsuegA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytOxMsuegA&feature=related[/video]

Notice the short lived and apparent ground destruction in that fight whenever an enemy is slammed to the ground. How do they do that? And is it possible to have something like this in ESF:Final for when you slam people into the ground or for some xplosions and stuff? I remember the *.gif animation POTW with the Spirit Bomb when it raises rocks from the ground as it approaches an enemy but when it explodes is it possible to have an "apparent" animation, or whatever they are using in Soul Calibur 5 to create them ground effects, to create short lived, fading craters? They would have to scale to the size of the Ki balls/waves so maybe before creating the crater the game would have to check for the size of the xplosion according to @Grega's post in another topic
The explosion sizes will be constant depending on the attack. Other factors will change depending on the charge...

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
in this video, the coders just spawn additional model pieces and make them move around. thats it really, easy to do. probably a 3 second job or so

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea but we have a slight problem compared to the video.

In SC all surfaces are straight either horizontal or vertical. Their effects dont work well on the edges and we have also been dealing with problems in areas where the terrain surface slopes. In some instances the spawning of the model just looks off since half of it is sticking out the wrong side of the slope, if you know what i mean ^^

In any case im still hoping dalte can fix it up XD

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Well Im glad to hear that it is possible and easy to do! However what Grega is saying does seem to be an issue... Isnt there a way to create like a bunch of different sloped models? Like really just a copy of the same one over and over just at a different angle? I suppose then you need a way to make the game able to differentiate between a sloped terrain and straight terrain...Isnt there a way to have the game check the angle of the slope where the slam/explosion takes place and then make it spawn one of them models at that angle?

Sorry if I sound dumb about this, Im in the dark about game development, but sometimes it's quite easy to miss the obvious things, I'm just trying to help...

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Im glad to hear that it is possible and easy to do! However what Grega is saying does seem to be an issue... Isnt there a way to create like a bunch of different sloped models? Like really just a copy of the same one over and over just at a different angle? I suppose then you need a way to make the game able to differentiate between a sloped terrain and straight terrain...Isnt there a way to have the game check the angle of the slope where the slam/explosion takes place and then make it spawn one of them models at that angle?

Sorry if I sound dumb about this, Im in the dark about game development, but sometimes it's quite easy to miss the obvious things, I'm just trying to help...
Slopes themselves are not the issue. You can easily spawn models facing a 90ยฐangle on the terrain with the origin being the hit location.

The problem is the connections. As mentioned in the video everything is flat hard edged blocky rooms. In ESF you have oval shapes, hills and so on. The problem occurs spawning a model in a location where 2 different angles meet. Imagine getting slammed just at the edge of a cliff. The origin is a horizontal plane so the model gets spawned. But since you are just at the edge of the cliff half the model is sticking out of the cliff into the air. thats what i mean with "it would look weird".

And it doesnt need to even be a cliff it can easily be any kind of connection between 2 different sloped areas.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Hmm well I wonder how Soul Calibur tackles that when they slam someone in the corner of the map for example? Anyway...what I can see in that video is that there are 2 models for the ground damage there, one for the wooden area and one for the tiled area so they must somehow be making the game to recognize which area is which in order to spawn the correct model. Isn't there a way to do this in ESF:Final and stop the model from appearing near when 2 slopes connect completely? That would be the simplest solution.

What's @Dalte's solution on fixing this up?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm well I wonder how Soul Calibur tackles that when they slam someone in the corner of the map for example? Anyway...what I can see in that video is that there are 2 models for the ground damage there, one for the wooden area and one for the tiled area so they must somehow be making the game to recognize which area is which in order to spawn the correct model. Isn't there a way to do this in ESF:Final and stop the model from appearing near when 2 slopes connect completely? That would be the simplest solution.

What's @Dalte's solution on fixing this up?
Im guessing in SC its map dependant.

As for daltes solution. It means getting a model that doesnt look like a dried up starfish XD Cause thats what we had at one time. Was ugly not to mention regardless of what wall you slammed into, the model was 90ยฐ straight out. AKA heading was 90ยฐ off :p

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
As for daltes solution. It means getting a model that doesnt look like a dried up starfish XD Cause thats what we had at one time. Was ugly not to mention regardless of what wall you slammed into, the model was 90ยฐ straight out. AKA heading was 90ยฐ off :p
LMFAO dried starfish hahaha xD. Well I'll be looking forward to see some updates for this :D

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Bump

I see someone else got interested in a similar suggestion in the topic titled "craters". @Grega +@Darktooth are you able to tell us if you managed to do this type of destruction that I suggested? As Darktooth was saying its easy....

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Effects provider was rewritten since then for better performance. As of yet dalte has not recreated that effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom