8.9 Earthquake hits Japan, devistating Tsunami.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/03/2011311607470826.html

A massive 8.9 magnitude quake has hit northeast Japan, causing a four-metre tsunami along parts of the country's
coastline.

NHK television reported many injuries and showed pictures of major tsunami damage in the north, with cars, trucks, houses being swept away in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture.

Many people were injured after a roof caved in during a school graduation ceremony at a hall in east Tokyo, the fire department in the capital said, after the quake hit on Friday.

The quake shook buildings in Tokyo for several minutes and sent people out onto the streets.

The news agency AFP said multiple injuries, but no immediate deaths, were reported from the Pacific coastal area of Miyagi on the main Honshu island.

Japan's NHK television showed black smoke billowing from a building in Odaiba, a suburb of Tokyo.

The quake that struck at 2:46pm was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, including a 7.4-magnitude one about 30 minutes later.

Tremors were felt as far away as in the Chinese capital, Beijing.

The country's meteorological agency warned that a tsunami as high as six metres could strike the coast near Miyagi prefecture, closest to the epicentre.

There was a warning of a 10-metre tsunami following the quake, Japan's biggest in 7 years.

The US Geological Survey issued a tsunami warning for the entire Pacific coast of Japan.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and the
US state of Hawaii.

Yukiko Shimahara, a Japanese journalist, told Al Jazeera that the airports and trains in Tokyo have been shut down following the quake.

Friday's quake struck at a depth of 24 kilometres, about 125 kilometres off the eastern coast, the meteorological agency said.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire"- an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim and where about 90 per cent of the world's quakes occur.

Several earthquakes have hit the region in recent days, including a 7.2-magnitude quake on Wednesday.
Wow...good luck Japan.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree, the reptilian chimpanzee-children are behind this.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I don't see how a closer moon could cause tectonic plates to react more heavily...

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how a closer moon could cause tectonic plates to react more heavily...

Think of it as gravitational magnetism. The closer 2 magnets are the stronger the force. Now the movement prevents them from reaching each other, but the tension on the surface of both still increases.

The Theory is quire solid in that regard.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Think of it as gravitational magnetism. The closer 2 magnets are the stronger the force. Now the movement prevents them from reaching each other, but the tension on the surface of both still increases.

The Theory is quire solid in that regard.
Yeah but there's a difference between solid ground and water. The highest the moon can do is create tides in water bodies, affecting the tectonic plates deep inside the earth is just too much. Probably as Viper said it, just a coincidence.

The very best there is.
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah but there's a difference between solid ground and water. The highest the moon can do is create tides in water bodies, affecting the tectonic plates deep inside the earth is just too much. Probably as Viper said it, just a coincidence.
The gravitational pull is not limited to water. Of course, there'll be no mountains popping up wherever the moon is, but it creates mechanical stress nonetheless.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The gravitational pull is not limited to water. Of course, there'll be no mountains popping up wherever the moon is, but it creates mechanical stress nonetheless.
I know, but not enough to cause shifts within the earth.

Its really bad whats happening though.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That theory is pretty shallow and unsubstantiated. Plus, the guy who wrote that paper is not a scientist - he is an astrologer, meaning he studied astrology...

The very best there is.
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I know, but not enough to cause shifts within the earth.
I'm not saying it does. I cannot believe however it doesn't contribute at all. It's certainly a tiny influence and cannot be called a cause, but I'm positive it's there.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If people are saying the moon is closer to the Earth than ever (which is the impression I got from reading some posts, but I don't care enough and am too lazy to read the articles), then I'd say "Erroneous on all accounts" because the Moon moves roughly 1-2 inches away from the Earth each year.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's just the closest it's been in 18 years, they've said. I tend to believe Scientists of repute, while what you said is true, there is -some- reason for it happening.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Right. Closest in 18 years. Which means 19 years ago, it was closer and chaos did not ensue. Also, the Moon is, in fact, slowly fleeing the Earth. This is a matter not to be disputed. This is fact.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's just the closest it's been in 18 years, they've said. I tend to believe Scientists of repute, while what you said is true, there is -some- reason for it happening.
I just told you he wasn't a scientist. Read posts or shut the **** up.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I just told you he wasn't a scientist. Read posts or shut the **** up.
But wouldn't an astrologer know the effects of celestial bodies, in this case, the moon? If he does, he can be regarded as a scientist for this particular claim.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
But wouldn't an astrologer know the effects of celestial bodies, in this case, the moon? If he does, he can be regarded as a scientist for this particular claim.
Uh...no. **** no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom