Melee Combat Guide (Video)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wipyoYdawI?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wipyoYdawI?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>​

One of the most challenging design aspects of ESF has been developing a melee combat system that is not only fun and balanced, but also gives the player a sense of control without having to reduce game play to "button mashing". It became apparent throughout the various releases of ESF that players really enjoyed the pairing of having a quick melee attack (simple melee) combined with highly maneuverable characters. Taking this into consideration alongside other feedback from the community the ESF team developed additional melee attacks that mesh well with ESF's high speed game play.

Simple Melee (Left Mouse Button)
Delivers a quick low damage blow to an opponent; typically used to set up other melee or energy attacks.

Combo Melee (Right Mouse Button)
Players charge combo melee before striking an opponent. The longer the attack is charged the more damage is dealt.

Throw (Left + Right Mouse Buttons)
Unlike combo melee there is no charge required to throw an opponent. Once contact is made the attacker begins to charge the throw. Charging for a longer period of time costs more stamina, but results in the opponent being thrown farther. Damage is only dealt when the opponent comes in contact with the environment and props.

Grab & Smash (Left + Right Mouse Buttons with turbo enabled)
The name says it all. When turbo is enabled the throw attack allows a player to grab an opponent while flying at high speed and smash them into objects.

Recovery
Do nothing after being hit and the player will eventually recover. Sometimes this is useful to gain distance from an attacker.

Quick Recovery(Left Mouse)
At the cost of Ki a player may recover from being knocked back at a quicker rate.

Instant Recover (Right Mouse)
At the cost of Stamina (ammo for melee) a player can instantly recover from being knocked back.

Even with the new attacks there was still a small void in the melee combat system. How can players perform more complex moves that are seen in the show? The answer, use a bonus system. As players attack opponents they gain bonus points; some attacks at a higher rate than others. For example, simple melee produces less bonus points than combo melee.

Bonus Melee (Bonus button then Any Melee Attack)
Quickly press the bonus button:
Once: Tier 1
Twice: Tier 2
Thrice: Tier 3

Activating a bonus is represented by different color auras. Once activate simply attack an opponent using an melee attack to initiate the melee bonus.
Source: http://esforces.com/news/47/51/Melee-Combat-Guide-Video.html

It has Broly smash people. Yes, it has Broly smash.

Last edited:
crazy love "ESF" player
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
really like but do not know if I have an instant mobile (G) keys attack

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've waited 8 years for something like this.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The video looks good, but I guess we'll have to wait and see it in action when the mod is released.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think i've just wet my pants..... yup... i've wet my pants!
It looks amazing.

Oh yea i've forgot i have a few questions and observations:

1. Is Vegeta walking on the side of that little hill at around 2:34? .. it looks pretty neat
2. The hold smash.. how does it work and is it possible to break out of it. I'd hate for it to be unbalanced so ppl can just drag each other until they die. Does it decrease health or just stamina and if it decreased HP how much per second
3. The animation is really great although i'd say it could still use some work on blending between two different animations
4. The tier 3 effects might use some adjusting(those blasts specifically). I think that instead of having them animated(1:50-1:53) i think they should be static, expand and disappear. I think you've meant for them to be quick blasts of energy direct into opponents faces, but to me they look more like the spread effect at the start of a beam attack. I can't really explain this so if you don't get what i mean ... it's not a big deal

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now I'll be able to beat the other testers for once! The system is truly in a league above 1.2.3's melee.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think the ESF 1.2.3 pro's can complain that 1.3 is nooby.

They can't; but they will.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Great video, +1 for the editor, +2 for the team.

Too bad my firefox made some fps lag while rendering the video.

crazy love "ESF" player
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Do not know how long it unrivaled in another release out

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's so ******* amazing. I'm so lovin' the gameplay updates. Grab & Smash is an infinitely awesome move.

Best answers
Cool!!!!
I love it!
Btw those camera changing moments and the head dragging move are awesome!!!
But were are those really fast moves...you know... when you showed us with SSJ3 Goku there was super awesome fast moves.....with transporting around and stuff.... Are they just for SSJ3 Goku?

edt: which one is the "Broly Smash" btw?
If Mkilbride means the head dragging... it's not broly smash... it is from DBGT.....

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool!!!!
I love it!
Btw those camera changing moments and the head dragging move are awesome!!!
But were are those really fast moves...you know... when you showed us with SSJ3 Goku there was super awesome fast moves.....with transporting around and stuff.... Are they just for SSJ3 Goku?

edt: which one is the "Broly Smash" btw?
If Mkilbride means the head dragging... it's not broly smash... it is from DBGT.....
You mean the SSJ3 Goku tier 3 special presentation in the first melee news? Doesnt the name say it all? Tier 3 special on Goku SSJ3 ^^

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Every character / transformation has his own Tier if I am correct. You just seen the 3 diffrend levels of Vegeta.
Other characters will have other tiers.

I think we have seen Trunks his tier as well in a vid once with his sword (same attack when he finish frieza on earth).

Best answers
I think we have seen Trunks his tier as well in a vid once with his sword (same attack when he finish frieza on earth).
Oh,yeah!
That was super special awesome too!!!
Well I can't wait to see Gohans tier.....
Maybe some Super Kamehameha!!!

Btw is it just me...or Ginyu kicked Vegeta in the balls in 0:42 before the throwing?

Best answers
Outstanding! It's been 8 years, I'v never lost interest in esf 1.3 and I will definitely not lose it now. Great work lads, great work :yes: (better than most console games of DBZ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom