News update: Aug 2 2010 - blend animations

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Two new systems have been developed that will allow ESF to have smoother animations; vertex weights and animation blends.

Vertex Weights: Allows a vertex to be influenced by one or more bones.

By assigning a percent value to each "weight" the system determines how much a vertex is affected by each bone. For example, if DarkTooth were to animate a shoulder joint under Saiyan armor the arm would move normally, but the armor, which is less flexible would move less to provide a more realistic appearance of motion.

Animation Blends: Expands Half-Life’s cap on the number of animation frames available per animation and provides a system to insert animations in between actions.

As explained by Darktooth:

"The animation blend system allows us to do numerous things. For example, part of it allows us to link to animations together, one playing after the other even though only one was called in code. IE whenever the player holds forward and begins to run, I can add a 'start_run' animation and then make the regular 'run' animation play right after. I am able to add as many extra animations as I want. Typically the maximum number of frames is capped at 127 for one animation, but by using this system I can link as many animations as I want and have it play in a consecutive order: deep_idle -> deep_idle2 -> deep_idle3 -> deep_idle4 and have it keep going so that it appears as if the deep_idle action ingame is never looping a single animation.

Another use of this system entails adding blend animations in between two other animations. For example, if the player is swooping forward 'swoop_forward' then they swoop to the right 'swoop_right' I can add my own blend animation 'swoop_forward_right' and have that play whenever the player changes directions. Say the player is falling from the sky and holds forward. When the player lands on the ground we have another blend animation play 'fall_land_run' animation so it seems as if the player hit the ground really hard and is stumbling as he tries to run forward. This system allows for A LOT of smooth and creative animations."

http://www.moddb.com/mods/earths-special-forces/videos/animation-blends

Force Pit Member
Best answers
After release.
1. Get ESF:F
2. Cry & Install ESF:F
3. Create a server for solo play
4 x Infinity. Fly around for hours and hours doing nothin but loops.

It looks amazing, and it seems that the possibilities are endless with the use of these kind of animations. They look so good! Great work DT, I can imagine it took quite sometime to make unique animations blends for every char!

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Are the pirouettes while swooping necessary? Make me think that I'm just gonna stay on the ground and shoot beams. The animations look very good though.
Even though someone will come out and say "do it your self" I'm still gonna go ahead and ask. How come the Vegeta model still isn't ready?

Proud YouTuber
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Guyz,thats unbelieveable.

>>>RESPECT<<<

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are the pirouettes while swooping necessary? Make me think that I'm just gonna stay on the ground and shoot beams. The animations look very good though.
Even though someone will come out and say "do it your self" I'm still gonna go ahead and ask. How come the Vegeta model still isn't ready?
Did you not see the previous update?..

🌠 Staff
Best answers
How come the Vegeta model still isn't ready?
cause you touch yourself at night =x

more serious note, Tenzo is right, when we have something to show, we'll show it

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why are people complaining... anxious much?

Anyways... it's great when you have just as much fun simply moving around in a game.

BIG UPS on the insane amount of animations you guys put in the game... WICKED STUFF!

🌠 Staff
Best answers
heh, Insane is Correct, I think Darktooth is at like 500 animations per character now

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm makes me wanna make a new kamehameha Combo

Best answers
I wish there would be Warp Kamehameha lol would be cool ;p, though idk if it would be in the new one ;o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why the devs when the users can add it in

Best answers
well who ever really lmao, but it would be also cool if like hmm each transformation has its own skills for example perfect cell = solar kamehameha e.c.t and not just regular kamehameha lols, goku doing uhm warp kamehameha when ss1 e.c.t lols

since also the graphics will be HQ, imagie if they also made like uhm Single play story? all the way up to err GT saga lols though that's alot of coding lmao x.x

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
gt sucks story mode in a fast paced game FAIL and then Theres The xml tool Where you can code your own characters but make sure not to over powerthem as its up to the esf development team to Let it be implemented in to the game so if you made lets say a super saiyan 4 goku he would have to be equill to kid buu but his speed just a little Higher his ki drain massive and is transformation powerlevel balanced as to not make him to powerfull.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think that's Doormat's Gohan when I remember the renders, do you guys know why he vanished? Anyway, animations looks more epic this way for sure.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
omFG Error in the video only for me???? :O

oh, MOD DB works fine, but in ESForces.com, video has an error.

BTW Nice update, i can't wait for ESF FInal :S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom