ESF Dedicated Server for Windows

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Why is nothing working for me I just want to make a server that my friend can join and I try to use Steam's Dedicated Server "Cache_TryAlloc *random string of numbers*" I tried EVERYTHING, "Cache_TryAlloc *random string of numbers*" So I try this "Cannot initialize Steam", redid EVERYTHING, "Cannot initialize Steam". PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO I JUST WANT TO PLAY ESF WITH MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;:)devgrin::devgrin::devgrin:;(;:)devgrin::devgrin::devsmile::devsmile::devsmile::brokenheart::brokenheart::brokenheart:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
*truth time* I'm running ESF:ECX RC3, I know it works online cuz' I found a server running it

Best answers
First off...

Coming from a USA player, this thread is extremley confusing to follow the instructions, they aren't very clear..

Second, after i finally got it installed, I copied all of my ESF files to the dedicated server folder..

Started up the HLDS.exe

No games listed
no maps listed
requires password..

Is there a more clear tutorial on how to do this?

--- edit ---

HOST_ERROR: Couldn't get DLL API from \valve\addons\metamod\dlls\metamod.dll!

error i get when booting server

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Coming from a USA player
I'm not a USA player. Unless you meant that you are one and that's why it's hard for you to figure the instructions out.

I copied all of my ESF files to the dedicated server folder..
No one told you to copy your ESF files into the HLDS folder. Take the ESF installation file and install ESF files into HLDS folder.

Best answers
at any rate, i got the server to boot...

however it STILL DOES NOT SHOW ON THE SERVER LIST :(

Legendary Super Saiyan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
For some reason, my HLDS.exe is automatically installed in my Half-Life folder. What do I do? I opened up cmd and did everything you told me to do and it just says 'Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. If you can help me that would be great!

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not supposed to touch the folder your game is in. HLDS is its own installation.

Legendary Super Saiyan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
No no I meant that when I first installed Half-Life it automatically came with the hlds

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt.

Legendary Super Saiyan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I did everything right, but when I create a server this is what comes up = Hunk_Alloc: failed on 160104 bytes. I am using RC3 on my server which is probably why it isnt working.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is using up more memory than what is allocated to it. I know quake 3 had a command to increase that, but not sure about HL.

Legendary Super Saiyan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I finally got the server to work but no one can join it... Suggestions?

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make a shortcut to your HLDS.exe and add a parameter -heapsize <half of your RAM in kilobytes> in the target field.
So if you have 4 GB RAM, 2 GB RAM in KB would be 2 * 1024 * 1024 = 2097152. So -heapsize 2097152. Not necessarily such a precise value, though. -heapsize 2000000 is fine.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Wonder if anyone still looks at this. I got a server up and running I can join it and everything but everytime it launches as a LAN server rather than internet, and no matter what I try I cant seem to get it to change this happening. I humbly request some aid!

--- edit ---

Wonder if anyone still looks at this. I got a server up and running I can join it and everything but everytime it launches as a LAN server rather than internet, and no matter what I try I cant seem to get it to change this happening. I humbly request some aid!

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The tutorial updated with the new, SteamCMD way. I don't have a VPS/VDS with Linux OS at the moment, so the Linux tutorial will have to wait.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm running into a problem. I can't install esf in the HLDS folder because the install button is greyed out. Normal installation requires that you run HL once before installing esf. But I can't find a HL exe

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF can only be installed in a folder that contains hl.exe and/or hlds.exe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom