Graphics vs Gameplay: The Great Debate Returns

Best answers
Diablo 2 wasnt amazing graphics compaired to the games coming out at the time but the gameplay was so good it took the record for the fastest release sell on the pc.

Hell even World of Warcraft wasnt and still isnt good graphical game when released, swg was before wow and it has better graphics and look at that game, number 1 mmo.

Episode 1 & 2 of HL sell pretty well and the graphics of the half-life games are not amazing compaired to todays games.

If you really look your find loads like it.

*EDIT* Just rememered another Baldur's Gate 2, Graphics are ok but wasnt that good and that is one of the biggest selling D&D game out, still sells now.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Graphics matter. I've been spoiled by next-gen, but they do. That's why I would be pissed if Sonic the Hedgehog went back to 2D only.

But, gameplay sticks better. "Earth's Defense Forces" isn't one of the best looking games, but I'll play that much longer than Haze because it's so much fun.

If a game is ugly (or out of date, I should say), but you're having fun, you can bare with it for a much longer time than you could with a game that looked incredible, but was not fun to play.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In a perfect world maybe, but last time i looked games like FIFA 3009 were releasing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
castlevania: symphony of the night.

its a simple side scroller, but the gameplay is so in-depth that it doesnt matter how pathetic the graphics are compared to nowadays. in general i prefer great graphics with great gameplay, as im sure you all do, but gameplay really is all thats needed for you to enjoy it.

as for sonic the hedgehog, all ill accept as a good sonic game is a 3d side scroller. it just seems thats the only way it can be done right.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a certain limit to both imo. I will play a game with marginally bad gameplay if it's story and music are compelling enough, and I will play a game with reasonably bad graphics if it's fun to play. It's just how I roll. I love my Wii and 360, though it should be pretty obvious that the 360 owns the Wii on graphics any day of the week, and my 360 is regularly trounced in fun factor, especially during group play.

I think anyone who buys a game or a platform for just one or the other is a fool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Trigger.

Released 13 years ago and I still play it. The gameplay is so appealing I can totally forget that it looks like crap.
That game had awesome art and environments dude, what could possibly be better. That was like 11/10 sprite work.

I expect more from you Origin.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're asking whether or not one outsells the other in the market I'll point out I think it's clear graphics are going to win out in every field just south of fighting games (seeing as how most fighting games get purchased by people who already own earlier iterations of the same game). If you're talking about quality, I've numbed myself to graphical innovation. Unless I'm having fun actually playing the game and controlling the characters I'm not getting anything out of it. I play enough older games, often enough, that new graphics aren't what I look for anymore.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best way to go about showing how little graphics matter to gameplay is to find a beautiful game that sucks ass. That being said, nothing comes to mind.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overall, I'd say gameplay is more important. I can forgive a lot if the gameplay is good.

On the other hand, I can forgive minor gameplay issues if the game is beautiful. Case in point? Eternal Sonata. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL game. Near flawless art direction, good voice acting, good music. In the beginning, I thought the gameplay was great, but.. it had lots of potential that just wasn't developed, and the story was very cliched and basic. But I forgive it because it's a work of art, visually. Just stunning.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Assassin's Creed comes to mind. Repetitive at times and the fighting is tedious for me every now and then. But the ambiance, environment, and general feel of the game was so enticing that it augmented the gameplay elements.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grand turismo 3 = Good Graphics, yawning gampelay imo
Gran Turismo is amazing for what it is. It's a driving simulator first and foremost. You might as well attack X-Plane for being exactly what it's meant to be: a flight simulator. You won't enjoy Gran Turismo unless you have a genuine interest in cars. So, that being said, I disagree with your post. The graphics and gameplay are both great.

Gameplay makes a game, graphics reinforce it, and story is the adhesive between the two. My hope is that every aspect of a game will be enjoyable. If it lacks in gameplay, I won't enjoy it as much as I otherwise would. If it lacks in graphics, I won't enjoy it as much as I otherwise would. If it lacks in story, I won't enjoy it as much as I otherwise would. Everything contributes something to the experience of the player.

Best answers
Just remembered Guitar Hero 2 when released for the xbox 360 didnt have that good graphics but still a fun as hell game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom