Modeling and Skinning Mega Thread REDUX!

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is the ultimate Tutorial thread of infinite wisdom, within which lies every tip and trick known to man for molding a model out of Milkshape 3d or 3d Studio Max / Gmax (or at least a lot of them).

(Scroll to the bottom to locate links to online tutorials on other websites as well as files for new and upcoming modelers to peruse for personal use.)

Mad_AxMan's 3D Studio Max Tutorial - http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=51111

Eclipse's Lightwave 3D Tutorial - http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=51135

SS_Vegeta originally posted with regards to Milkshape 3d:

" This thread will be mostly an explanation of all the tools in ms3d. I may eventually get around to an actual tutorial on how to model, but this thread is to teach you the tools, not the tricks of the trade.:p

Part One

Model Tab

Tools:
Select: The select tool, well, selects whatever you have specified it to select.

Move: This moves whatever you selected. Depends on the coordinate plane you're in.

Rotate: This rotates your selection. Depending on the Coordinate plane you are in it will
rotate it in a certain direction.

Scale: This resizes your selection. Also this depends on which coordinate plane you're in.

Vertex: This creates a single vertex on the screen. If you creat more than one vertex that
you haven't used yet, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. If you do then those extra verteces will go
bye bye along with what you wanted deleted.

Face: This is a tricky tool. It takes 3 verteces to create a face. Now thats not the problem.
Its the angle at which you want the face to face. Lets say you have 3 verteces in the 2nd
coordinate plane and you want the face to show up when you're looking at it from the front
in the 3d veiw. Here is what you do. You press the face tool and select the first vertex.
Then you click the face tool again and then select the next vertex in a counter clock wise
fashion.

Now, if you want it to face in the opposite direction that you're veiwing it from (example:
you want it to face backward from the front veiw so when you look at the back, you can see
it), you would then select the verteces in a Clockwise fashion.

Sphere: After choosing the level of detail you want, (lower numbers for low detail and higher
numbers for high detail*BAD BAD NO NO*)you would then click and drag on the screen to the
size you wanted

Geosphere: Same concept as Sphere accept looks more realistic

Box: If you ask me what this is... i will kill you...

Cylinder: Again, same concept as sphere. Open cylinder has open ends and closed cylinder has
you guessed it, closed ends.

Extrude: Never use this, it is pointless and makes models look ****ty.

Joint: This is used to make bones for a skeleton. More on this later.

Select Options

Vertex: Selects verteces. ignore backfaces means it will not select verteces that cannot be
seen directly.

Face: Selects faces. Ignorebackfaces means it will not select faces that cannot be seen
directly. by vertex means that it will select all faces connected to one vertex. Some times
it doesn't work.

Group: Selects whole group if only part of the group is clicked on. (Note: not important)

Joint: Selects all joints and bones after it whether you want it to or not. (Note: more later)

Groups Tab

White Box: This is where all the pretty groups go. This is where you will select group and
regroup areas for skinning or coloring.

Group

Select: If a group is highlighted in the white box above, it will be highlighted in red as if
you had selected it all yourself with the Select Tool. Nifty.

Hide: Hides this group from your veiw, but remains in the White Box for further reference.
(Note: Not important)

Delete: Deletes highlighted group.

Regroup: If you have seleceted a bunch of polygons that you would like to group together, this
is the button you press. it will create a new group at the bottom of the list in the white box.

Rename: Enter the new name of the group selected in the White Box and hit this button. It will
rename the group.

Smoothing groups( Note: Not important at all)

Materials Tab

White Box:Just like the White Box in the Groups Sections accept this is where the different
skins you're using go.

Black Box: This, when a texture is loaded, shows a veiw of a 3d sphere with the skin wrapped
around it. you can click inside the box and when you drag the cursor away it will turn the
sphere so you can see the rest of the skin.

Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, Emissive: Used for coloring. (Note: Not important)

<none>: clicking on this button after a material has been created will let you load your skin
(NOTE: For a skin to work it must be greater than 64x64 and has to be a multiple of eight.
the skin also has to be in indexed color mode.)

New: Clicking this button creates a new material in the White Box above.

Delete: Deletes selected material in the White Box above.

Rename: Renames the material selected in the White Box with the name entered in the right.

Assign: Groups need skins. You can't just say "hey! lets give this that skin" without doing
anything. You must select the group that you want to give a skin and, without deselecting,
go to the materials tab and select the material you want to assign to it and press assign.
Simple, no?

Joints Tab: We're not gonna talk about this till later.

Key Strokes:
Alt+Printscreen: Screen of milkshape. Paste it (Crtl+v)in a image file to save.
Shift+left mouse: Zooms in on your model. Up zooms in, down zooms out.
Ctrl+left mouse: Moves your veiw around.
F1: Select
F2: Move
F3: Rotate
F4: Scale
F5: Vertex
F6: Face
F7: Extrude
F8: Joint
Crtl+a: Selects all
Ctrl+d: duplicates. Press move and click and drag the duplication away.
ctrl+w: Weld
Ctrl+z: undo
ctrl+r: redo

Thats all the BASICS... i'll get into what the stuff in the menu does later. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Edit .wrl files curtesy of Bryggz and Vapour Tech:

" Hmmmm, these sunuva*****es are complex. turns out they are "world virtual reality languages" [EDIT] **** everything i just said and just click here to find out everything you need to know about .wrl's

FINAL EDIT: I DID IT!!! I CAN EDIT WRL FILES!!!! wooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo i figured it out!!!!! OKAY PPL HERE IT IS
1) Download "Crossroads ver 1.0" this is a program that allows you to view wrl files and save them as different files.
2) use crossroads and open a wrl file, then click file->save as-> RAW file. and save the new raw file
then
3) open milkshape and click file->import->RAW, AND THE FILE IS IMPORTED!!! NOW SCREW AROUND WITH IT TO YOUR LIKING!!! THEN CLICK EXPORT-> WRL(somewhere at the bottom of the list) AND U HAVE A NEW WRL! WOOOOOOOOOOOO hurray for me "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On sprites, by Shijing:

" well, if your here, its becuase you need help! well, im gonna put an end to all these goddam threads about how to make sprites!

lets start with what programs:
1: sprite wizard, d/l it here!
2:sprite viewer, here!
save them for now, i'll say there uses in a min ^_^

next, how to extract bmp files from sprite files:
1. open sprite wizard
2. open the sprite you wnat to work on
3. click on file/save sequence and click ok.
you will now have a set of .bmp's you can edit.. yaay!

next, how to use all the colours:
1. buy or d/l adobe phostshop or paintshop pro
2. open the .bmp
3.click on image/mode/rbg colour in the top bar
now you have a set of fully editable .bmps! yaay

what to keep in mind when editing:
1. the size of the image must stay as a multiple of 8 and under 256
2. when finished editing the image, remeber to turn it back to indexed colors, jsut do what you did for rbg colour but click on indexed colours
3. name then in file order like 1.bmp,2.bmp and 3.bmp!

4. you MUST keep them in the same colour pallette, you can do this by editing one, saving it in indexed colour, makin another one, copyin the image and pasting over the indexed one and saving as a different file! easy stuff

now onto the next step, compiling, above, i have listed the requirements for the image, so lets go on:
1. open sprite wizard
2. click next and select your images
3. click next, if it has a problem, it will state what..
4.click next again, ignore all the stuff here
5.now you can see your sprite in action, click play to see if its good.
6. click next and save! your finished! one new sprite!!! YAAAY!!

that was fun, wasnt it? well, if you dont understand them, learn english, these are as simple as they come! if you have any problems, you can always post here and i'll give it a try!

ps: i hope this gets pinned, it will stop all those sprite n00b's from postin how to make sprites and would give guys a helpin hand!o_O "

On animations, curtesy of Shijing

DONE IT, this is pretty damm large since theres alot to write about animations... there way complex ^_^

THE ANIMATION HELP THREAD

righty, i shall go though the major point of animations so you can all start editing away :p

lets start, first, import the main model smd.. my example for today is "model.smd"
now you shall have the model ready with skin... next, find the animation you want to edit..
my expample animation is "sequence.smd" open it and click YES to the box that appears.

Now we shall start of the basic functions of the animation style.

click the ANIM button in the bottom right corner, this will take you to animation mode.
all the vertexes will dissipear to prove this.

Click on the bones tab and click "show skeleton" now we can navigate the bones quickly

Bones work around the same function as vertexes, they follow the same rule, you can move
them, rotate them and severaly other functions.

At the bottom, you should see the "animation sequence bar" each one of the bars is a "frame"
frames stick together to create sequences, whitch are saved to be animations.

You can edit the amount of frames there are in this animation at the right of it, theres
a number box, type in somthing like 50 to get started, next, find the pointer on the
sequence bar, as you move it, the view frames will move to the animations. pick on you want
to edit.

Press select, but at the option bar below it, click "bones" so you can select bones.
now, lets say i want to move an arm, click on the arm joint, you will notice that the ones
joined to it are also selected, this is default so its easyer to move limbs and bodys.

So if we want to move it, lets try the rotate button, you can rotate the bone, and the
vertexes assigned to it will move with it, play with various parts until your happy with
a position. then go on the "animation" bar at the top and click "set frame" now this
frame is in that position,

-=TIP=-
IN HL MODELS, SELECT THE BIP_01 BONE TO MOVE THE ENTIRE BODY WITHOUT WARPING

now that you have this.. it wont move with the other frames and will look a little funny,
so what you have to do is edit those to so they move smoothly.
This will horrify most of you since theres a hell of alot of frames in a single animation.
To save time and make it more smoother, we shall follow my next technique.

Select the first animation, now go into the animaiton tab at the top and click "copy frame"
then soon after, click "remove all keyframes". This will clean the sequence of frames
but copy the one you selected, now move the sequence tab to the beggining and go to the
animation bar and click "paste keyframe" then soon after, "set keyframe"

This will leave you with a clean sequence and one frame, now heres the time saver.

Move your sequence pointer forward about 5 frames, you shouldnt see the character move
while doing this otherwise theres an animation sitll there. Now move your characters
bones to another position, still smooth like, but quite a difference to the first one.
then set it.

As you move the pointer to the animations between, you should notice that theres frames
there now.. moving slowly to the one you assigned, this game be used for movements quite
faster becuase you can do about 10 frames with about 2 frames effort, and even more, it
depends on how complex the movements are.

Beware though, the bones will find the shortest route possible to the next frame, so you
might have to edit a few ni the middle so there no awkward movements and clipping.

theres one MAJOR problem while animating... bone warping.
Its hard to nocite at first, but as you rotate certen bones, they can sometimes stretch,
warp or just go crazy, this is a serious bug with ms3d, theres one cure i found out though,
save the model as a normal ms3d file, then open it again and that bone wont warp then,
but this happens quite alot with animations.. mostly with the hands and fingers, the small
bones with not much assigned, take heed of this, you can see an example of this with the
ESF vegeta model charging and shooting the big bang attack, you see the hand enlarge.

This is a basic tutorial that should get you started and going quite well, i hope this is
of use to you guys, AIM or PM me for other questions, i might patch up a FAQ with them after

hope you enjoyed my work :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Cell Shading, cutesy of Neosaiyajin.

CeLL Shading in Milkshape Tutorial By Neosaiyajin -Credits to nuttzy for reminding me how to do it correctly.
*NOTE* go into Paint or any other Image editing Programs and make a 512 x 512 Image with a black background.

First Open Milkshape.
Load The model you want to Cell Shade.
Then go to the Selection Tab Go Down in the menu find where it says "select By" Choose Faces.

Select all of the Model.

Then Plus Ctrl+D. Then go to the tools bar on top Choose fatboy. Where it says Scale Put in .1 - .3 Then click Ok.

Select the Duplicate and here where the black texture comes in.

Make sure the Duplication of ur model is still selected. Now go to matierials tab and Find new under it then click that. Now go to where it says none and click it (the bigger bar) Now select ur black texture thru the menus. Once opened Click assign. Now Go to Faces and Then Reverse vertex order. Then go to the render viewport and right click Then Where it says Draw backfaces click that. Now go to the render viewport And right click then click textured for a surprise.

Made this tut Cuz people have been asking how to do this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A full-body skin tutorial, curtesy of Zereth.

Allright everyone .. Some people alredy asked me to do the tutorial on how I skin and I told em I would. Since I am butt bored right now, I'll make u a full body skin tutorial on picollo .. We'll be starting with basic coloring to detailin . Here we Go .

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picolloclean.jpg

I am going to start off the tutorial, By showing you how to color the stuff . Remember, When you open adobe with that skinmap , you will have 1 single layer called Background or something . In this Tutorial, For every bodypart we do , we're going to make a new layer . That way if u do a mistake, U can delete the layer without damaging any of the previous skin .

Ok, Now to finally start .
We will start with the belt . Use the polygonal lasso tool to select the belt , and color it . That way u make sure u don't damage any other skinparts by coloring . (IMPORTANT!!, Remember to make a new layer before coloring the belt)
After colored it, it should look something like this :

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picollobelt.jpg

Do exactly the same with the rest of that skinmapp . Remember, for every part you make new layer . Also very important that u use the Polygonal Lasso tool for selecting the parts u want to color.

After you colored everything, It should look something like this :

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollocolored.jpg
(Don't mind the white dots, just some spots that got left, Dosen't matter here)

Now that u've colored it we can move on . Select the layer with the belt , So we can start texturing the belt . (u can also click on the belt layer and use polygonal lasso tool to mark it again) . Now that U've selected the belt , select dodge tool . This is how it should look in ur Adobe photoshop

Now, Simply set the opacy of it 76 % and select hightlights . Than make 3 lines on the belt . Ur belt should look something like this :

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollobeltdodge.jpg
Right after u do that , select the smudge tool , it should look like this

Use that tool at strenght 50 to smudge and smudge those 3 lines u made on the belt . Ur belt should now look somewhere like this
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollobeltsmudged.jpg

Now, That uvw smudged it, U need to use the burn tool into it to make it look dbzish :) . Select the burn tool, Should look like this

Now that u have the tool, set it's opacy to 50 % and make 3 lines between those dodgelines u made earlier . After u do that , just use the smudge tool to smudge the burn lines . Should look something like this

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollobeltdone.jpg

Simple as that, Ur done with the belt :) . Let's move on to the pants .
Click on the layer with the pants colored , and use the lasso tool to select around the pants . After u do that , select the dodge tool and use opacy 75 % , and make 4 lines . When u finish that it should look something like this
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollopantsdodge.jpg

Now use the smudge tool, and smudge the lines in a foldish way . After you smudged it, it should look like this

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picoloopants.jpg

Now use burntool inbetween just exactly as u did on that belt :) . After burning it ,smudge it , and it should look like this :

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picolooopantsdetailed.jpg
Now just do exactly the same on rest of the pants, they should look something close to this
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picollopantsdone.jpg

Now let's move on to the shirt .. What you do to start with , U simply do exactly the same as the pants . First u select the shirt layer, than u select dodge tool and do 3 lines . Something like this .
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloshirt.jpg

Now u smudge them like this :
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloshirtsmudge.jpg
Now u can see that too much of the shirt was left out so u simply make 2 dodge lines and smudge them on the sides, like this :
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollloshirtsmudged.jpg

Now what we will do is select the burn tool, and burn between them, u can also smudge the burn so u make it more foldish . After u burned it should look somewhere around this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloburneeed.jpg

Allright, Now u do the exact thing on the back , EXACT same thing .
When ur done, U should get something like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloshirtdone.jpg

Let's move on to the Torso now . Select the torso layer, and use the polygonal lasso tool to select around the Torso . When u have done that, U select Burn tool and make outlines like this :http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotorso.jpg

Now u smudge them like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotorsoburned.jpg

Right after that, you simply add some dodge , Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/PicollotorsoSmudged.jpg
Now, you select the burn tool, and burn around it , and smudge right away , Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotorsodone.jpg

That's about it .. Now the shoes left .. Select the shoes layer and just add some dodge/burn to them, Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picollomapcompleted.jpg
THat's it guys . The first part of the Tutorial is Done . I will writte the second part of the modell tomorrow when I wake up . This tutorial only explains the basic of skinning, and the basic tools. Learn this, And u'll start getting somewhere . That's all for now . If U are looking for skinmapping tutorials or modelling, check the stickys, and Nuttzys skinmapp tutorial. It's very usefull .. This is how this modell turned out for now

http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Donepicollo.jpg
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Donepicollo1.jpg

That's all for now , I hope this helps u .. If u need help with something, conntact me on AIM . (My aim is in my profile)

Enjoy

*******PART TWO*******

Are you guys ready :) ? We are going to the second phase in the tutorial . In this part , we alredy know the basics with the tools, so we should be able to do this in No time :) .

Allright ,Here is the clean skinmapps of the arms/head and what ever is left : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/512Head.jpg
Now this is what we do again . Just this time, instead of coloring every part before actually skinning it , we are going to make 1 new layer for every part, BUT we are going to detail it right after coloring, that way we won't have any probs at the end . What I want u to do at the start is select the half of the head, make a new layer, and color it . When you are done with that it should look like this :

click here

Now, We are going to start adding detail right away :) .
Select the polygonal lasso tool , and make the eyes outlines . (REMEMBER THE EYES ARE ON A NEW LAYER) , Very important to make new layer before doing the eyes . Now, after u make new layer and make the eyes with polygonal lassotool , it should look something like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picollohead1.jpg

Let's move on . The layer u made, with the eye , leftclick on it, select blending options. This are the options u need .
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/upload.php?upload=doupload

After that, Ur eye should look like this :
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/headcolor1.jpg

Now, select the eyelayer, and mark it with the polygonal lasso tool . Than select the paintbrush, and make a black dot in the midle of the eye. Should look like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloheadcolor1.jpg

Now, select the dodge tool, and instead of hightlights, U select shadow, at opacy 80 % and make a little line inside that black eye. It should look like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloheadcolor2.jpg
Now, let's move on . To make his eyebrowns, (we all know picollo dosen't actually have eyebrowns) We will simply make some burn lines and dodge lines . First, select the burn tool, and make a line like this
(btw, remember to select the head layer in order for this to work)
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/headmap1.jpg
Mark, I did not use any smudge, Only some dodge burn. Now let's move on to further detail. Now just add some mode dodge/burn and smude it all, should look like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picolloshead1.jpg

Allright , what we do next, is merge all the layers. Select the upper layer, and press CTRL+E . Than, Use the polygonal lasso tool, select the half of the head u alredy did, press CTRL+C , than go file>new and press OK . (remember to select transperent if not alredy selected). Now press CTRL+V . When u did exactly what I told u to, u should get a new file like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picollohalfhead.jpg

Allrite, Let's move on . Now from that new image, u select it , than go Image>rotate canvas>flip canvas horizonal , Than u should get the image like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollofliped.jpg

Let's move on . After you are done with that one , U use the rectangular marguee tool to select that head part, than u press CTRL+C and paste it into the skinmapp u were workin on . When u paste it on the skinmapp, It won't be on exact place u need it on, so select the move tool (since adobe automatically makes a new layer for the pastes u do) u should be able to move that headpart to the correct place . after u move it, there might be some of the skinmap still not colored cause of the size, that's not a prob, Just color the empty area . should look like this after done : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/Picolloheaddone.jpg

There we go, First headpart is complete ;) . Let's move on .
Make a new layer and select the part right beside the head . It's very easy, you just color it green, and add some burn/dodge . Watch me do it, No smudge : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollosmuddge.jpg
Another headpart is done :) , yay .
Now, let's get to the ears .. Picolloears are the easiest skinpart almost . Let me show u how to do them . First u make a new layer, use the polygonal lasso tool , and select the 2 ears . Color them green , and just sekect the dodge tool, and make dodge lines . This is how u should try making the lines : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloearsss.jpg
As u can see I just made som burn lines inbetweens right away . Allrite, let's move on to the hands .. Make new layer, select polygonal lasso tool, and color the hands green .. Now, select the dodge tool, And just make some simple lines . When u do the nales, U just switch from hifgtlights to shadow and do small dots . Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloalmostdone.jpg

Now to make it more realistic u need to add some burn, like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloalmostdone1.jpg
Still no smudge tool .. See how realistic it starts to look when u add burn and mix it propertly ? hehe, however, let's continue .
Next step is to do the main muscles :).
Hehe, Picollos muscles aren't really "easy" so we might have to take it little slow on this one . This is the first time I do a picollo myself, but it's the same skinningmethod, just different color .
What we will do first, All way up he got the red stuff on his hand . We will work that JUST as we did the belt . Select it, Color it red, and make 2 dodge lines in the middle, than smudge them to the end of each part, and add some burn tool, Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloalmostdone2.jpg

Now, For the final part :) . what I want u to do first, Is to make a new layer and color rest of that arm map . Ok Now I will try explaining this in the easiest way . After u colored it, Select the Lasso tool (it is in the same section as polygonal lasso tool). Now make circles with the lasso tool and color them pink/red Like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloarmscolored.jpg
What I did, was selected those with lassotool, colored them pink, and used small red brush for those red lines there. I smudged them in so they look small as well . now that muscle looks very ugly, Let's improove that ! Now, Just use some simple burn tool inside those pink circles , like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloburnedarm.jpg
Only thing I did was fix some of the circles (made em smalled) and added burn lines . Now switch over to Dodge tool, and dodge between those lines , like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picolloalmosttdone.jpg
Now smudge that , like this : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotutalmostdone.jpg

ALlright, we're almost done my friends, Only thing left now is to add some burn tool, let's go :) .
Add burn lines like I do now : http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotuta.jpg

And now for the finals, Let's do some dodge and we're set .
http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/picollotutaa.jpg
Now totally final thing is dodge tool, dodge some and ur set :) .
And here we go, We're finally done http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/PICOLLODONESHAZZAM.jpg

There u go my friends :) . That's the basic DBZ skinning tutorial, once u match this, U'll be very success in the future . These are the basics u NEED to know :) . And if anyone asks if I am going to release the Picollo, the answer is NO, cause if u follow the tut, U will make it even better ;)

The renders are done with 3d's max for the ones that wonder (I only work with it) .
Enjoy .

CREDITS: Thanks for the oficiall ESF team and specially the modellers/skinners of the Picollo.

ONLINE TUTORIALS:

MILKSHAPE TUTORIALS

Animation Tutorial originally posted Ultraq and curtesy of Planet Quake:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/halflife/tutorials/milkshape6.shtml

Posted by SA_Gohan and curtesy of DosFX.com:

http://www.dosfx.com/tutorials/csgirl/default.asp

"This is a tutorial posted by the kind people at www.milkshape3d.com and created by dos. It encompasses all aspects of modelling, including building the geometry itself, animating the model, and texturing it."

General tutorial posted by DragonDude and curtesy of Joshua Muheim:

http://www.josh.ch/josh/home.php?menu=tutorials&submenu=Welcome

"I've been surfing around for tuts and this one has helped alot so far!" (Note that you may have to navigate the menus on the top and sides of the site to reach the tutorial)

3D STUDIO MAX TUTORIALS

Animation tutorial posted by Ultraq and curtesy of Planet Quake:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/zedaxis/learn/index.htm

"you didn't spoecify what program you wanted. anyway, here is a one for milkshape"

Compiling tutorial posted by Ultraq and curtesy of Planet Quake:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/halflife/tutorials/3dsmax8.shtml

Posted by [dBz] Gokuu and curtesy of 3Dmaxer.dk:

http://www.3dmaxer.dk/tutorial.asp?ak=11&type=max

"I found a great site with modeling tutorials for 3D Studio Max, so i wanted 2 share it" (Note that this site is primarily German, though the tutorial itself is in fairly basic English)

IMPORTANT FILES FOR MODELING AND COMPILING:

Oringally posted by Ultraq and curtesy of Planet Quake, Swiss Quake, and Valve:

Half Life Model Viewer

Trial Version of MilkShape3D

Smd Exporter For 3dmax 4

The Model Compiler

"if you want to open the animation files you first have to load the mesh file, because as i mentioned above, the animiation file only contains info about the movement of the bones. so the bones must first be loaded in order for them to animate!!"

That is everything I dug out of the last four stickies on the subject of tutorials. If you find another tutorial that want posted PM me with the address and I'll plug it into the list. If you have any requests for tutorials on specific subjects you can request them HERE. If you see somebody asking for a tutorial that you have or you know where to get go ahead and post it in response. When I get around to adding it onto the list above I'll simply delete both the request thread and the response, giving due credit to whomever responded.

If you spam this thread I will shove you in a locker and beat it with an aluminum baseball bat until you scream mercy. That or I'll just give you a warning. Up to you if you want to risk the prior...

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OFFICIAL LIST OF ESF MODELLERS AND SKINNERS GIVE THE CREDIT WHEN EDITING ONE OF THE MODELS OR SKINS

I know that when some people dont give the proper credits, the real moddeler gets mad. And when the model editors use something of one of the esf models they say something like "credit goes to the moddeler of vegeta" or goku or gohan. Whoever.
Maybe this will help people give the proper credits if they use something of the esf teams.

Here's the official ESF list of Model & Skin creators.

-Fat Buu-
Model: SS Vegeta
Skin: Vassago

-Evil Skinny Buu-

-Super Buu-(unreleased)

-Goku-
Model: Vassago

-SSJ Goku-

-SSJ2 Goku- (unreleased)

-SSJ3 Goku- (unreleased)

-Gohan-
Skin: Mastasurf

-New Gohan-(unreleased)
Skin:TCiccarelli

-SSJ Gohan-

-Krillin-

-Krillin Form 2-

-Frieza-

-Frieza Form 2-
Skin: TCiccarelli

-Piccolo-
Model: Xstortionist

-Piccolo Form 2-

-Trunks-

-SSJ Trunks-

-Cell-

-Cell Form 2-

-Perfect Cell-(unreleased)
Skin: n/a

-Vegeta-
Model: Turk

-SSJ Vegeta-

-SSJ2 (Majin)Vegeta-(unreleased)

-Animations-
Darktooth- All Characters
Mastasurf- Fat Buu

Thank you Mastasurf for this information. Mastasurf if you could when things get updated or changed please make the correct changes to this thread so its up to date or any one of the team members please.

SKINNING TUTORIAL

not for n00bs!, you need a skinmap and sum photo shop skillz

http://home.iprimus.com.au/spennings/tutorials.htm

Thank you Mr. Smo for this information.

MODELLING PROGRAM FEATURES

Modelling Program Features
gmax
poly modelling tools = yes
box modelling tools = yes
particle systems = no
rendering system = no
biped animation = no (impretty sure as Character studio costs $$)
bone animation = yes
IK system animation = no (a charatcer studio thing)
good import/export compatibility = good for games
Extras:
Tempest (import map files)
Free
available at http://www.discreet.com

3ds max
particle systems = yes
rendering system = yes
biped animation = yes (basic but convenient, mainly for humanoid animation)
bone animation = yes (harder to use than biped, more control for non humanoid projects)
IK chain animation = yes (most advanced system, can use sliders and dummys to animate)
good import/export compatibility = best for other applications, need plugins for games
Extras:
Advanced material editor (multiple default shaders = blinn, phone, strauss, etc.)
Great plugin compatibility (chill skinner, textporter, facestation, afterburn, digimation, shag, etc.)
Character Studio (Group animation, import/export .bip files and .fig files)
expensive
has nurbs/spline modelling
available at http://www.discreet.com

Milkshape 3D
poly modelling tools = yes (very simple)
box modelling tools = yes (very simple)
particle systems = no
rendering system = sort if
biped animation = no
bone animation = yes, but a little clumsy in ms3d
IK chain animation = if only
good import/export compatibility = best for games
Extras:
Free for 30 days
Easy to use
available at http://www.milkshape3d.com

Maya
particle systems = yes
rendering system = yes
biped animation = no
bone animation = yes
IK chain animation = yes
good import/export compatibility = yes
Extras:
uses nurbs
very expensive (except when they have deals going on)
available at http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Wh...oln_intro.shtml

Lightwave
particle systems = yes
rendering system = yes
biped animation = no
bone animation = yes
IK chain animation = yes
Extras:
very expensive
good material editor
realistic look to models
uses nurbs
group animation
available at http://www.lightwave3d.com

Cinema 4D
particle systems = yes
rendering system = yes
biped animation = no
bone animation = yes
IK chain animation = yes
Extras:
quite expensive
plugin creating SDK comes with
available at http://www.cinema4d.com

Rhino 3D
particle systems = no
rendering system = yes
biped animation = no
bone animation = np
IK chain animation = no
Extras:
not expensive student version
trial versions
runs on low system specs
has nurbs capability
available at http://www.rhino3d.com

Wings 3D
particle systems = no
rendering system = no
biped animation = no
bone animation = no
IK chain animation = no
good import/export compatibility = only to rendering programs
Extras:
Free
available at http://www.wings3d.com

Bryce 3D
poly modelling tools = no
box modelling tools = no
particle systems = no
rendering system = yes
biped animation = no
bone animation = no
IK chain animation = no
good import/export compatibility = no
Extras:
used only to make landscapes
cheap
available at http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cg...&id=CC1M72VRBAC

I hope this clears thing up for many people
if theres anything u think i should add to these lists, just post here and ill edit it in!

If this could be made sticky, it would stop a lot of newb posts

PLZ MAKE THIS STIVKY!!N00BS WILL LOVE IT!!! THIS WILL LWER POST ON WHAT MODELS TO USE AND ****

Thank you SSJ4Vegeta for this information.

If i see one more person taking credit for a model that they did NOT make, ill go on a banning spree!

IF you decide to edit somebodies model, the FIRST thing i want to see in the post, is credit to the orginal producer of the model. I dont care if you edited 50% of the damn thing and did a total reskin, its NOT your model. I've already seen numerous edits of Majin vegetas, and all these folks are getting praised!?!?!? I strongly suggest to anyone that made such threads to go back, edit the post, and give Ersens some well deserved praise for HIS model that you guys are messin with.

Same goes for any future editing attempts on ANY ESF models.

This is not some idle whine, i WILL ban future offenders

xstortionist: If i see anything type of stealing of other peoples work going on at all...i'll make sure u get a long ass vacation.

Follow what Cheeseman says or he will use his ban saber on your @ss!!! Trust me I know

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PERMISSION OF OWNERS: NEW RULE

------------------------------------------------------

As decided by the ESF Forum Staff, a new rule is in effect about releasing/showing your work (complete or WIP) on these forums.

When you create a thread for a model edit, you 'must' give credits to the orignal modellors/editors whose work you have used -IN THE FIRST POST- of the thread.

You must also state express permission from the original modellors before -RELEASING- any model on the forums. Doing so without permissions can lead to an instant ban as we hold ripping as a high offense in our opinions.

Any moderator(s) has the right to remove pictures/links and close the thread if he/she finds a thread without credits. Refusing to put up credits if asked to, will result in a warning.

The moderator(s) also has the rights to remove download/release link found and close the thread relating to an edit released without permissions stated.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Want to download maps/models/skins/sprites?

Seeing that we have tons of threads about people asking for ESF fan sites, from where you can download maps/models/sprites/sounds, etc. (and I have also received tons of PM's requesting for one of these) - here comes the sticky post with all these links. I hope this will stop the thread flooding.

If you want to add your site to this link, PM me or another moderator/admin and I/they can edit this post to add it to the list.

Please note that the ESF team is not responsible for the functionality of these websites, and are hence not accountable for their reliability and up-time.

LIST:

www.redsaiyan.org
www.esf-world.com
http://www.gsf-united.de
http://www.esplaces.tk/
http://members.lycos.nl/sniperkid/newpage10.html
http://www.humpz0r.tk/
http://members.rogers.com/ape/
http://www.filefront.com/r.b/page__c...h/_output.html
www.esf-resource.cjb.net
http://www.esffanatics.tk/

If you still don't find anything, you can also do the following:
Search << Click here to search these forum's threads for the item that you are looking for.

Final Request Thread << Click on this link to go to the thread, where you can request models that haven't been made yet. Do remember that it is upto the various model artists to decide whether they make it or not.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh, pleeeaaase! Do you think I have not already tried. Im just sad coz you put all programs but MyMaya :(

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
QC Commands for ESF Models

Throughout our development of ESF we have added new QC commands to the models which allows for developers to get a bit creative with them. Here are a few examples and commands of how to create your own custom model for the upcoming releases of ESF 1.3.

Any release after 12/18/2007 that is.. :)

CHARACTER/CODE EVENTS
{ event # frame "option" }

IE : $sequence ref_charge_kamehameha "ref_charge_kamehameha" fps 30 { event # frame "option" }

# = event number
frame = play on frame
" " = option

new commands 11-26-07

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-=| Melee Sprite |=-
{ event 7000 2 "Bip01 R Hand" }

2 = frame #
" " = bone name that the sprite is emitted from

7000-7002 : exploding mini ball
7003-7004 : exploding larger ball
7005 : fixed sub model switch
7006-7008 : collapsing mini ball
7009 - 7010 : collapsing larger ball

-=| Sub Model Switch |=-
$bodygroup sword
{ event 7005 2 "0"} { event 7005 20 "2"}
{
2 , 20 = frame # studio "Trunks-case"
"0 , 2" is which submodel you switch to studio "Trunks-Sword-lefthand"
studio "Trunks-Sword-righthand"
}
0 = 1st model in sub-list
1 = 2nd model in sub-list , etc..
7005 = submodel switch code

-=| Sounds |=-

play in the animation
{ event 7100 2 "..\sound\goku\genericha.wav" }

play random sound
{ event 7100 2 "..\sound\goku\genericha|1-3|.wav" }

play once only
{ event 7100 2 "*..\sound\goku\genericha.wav" }

play once only but with random sounds
{ event 7100 2 "*..\sound\goku\genericha|1-3|.wav" }

7100 = event number
2 = frame number
"blah blah\blah.wav" = location of sound

7100: body
7101: voice
7102: weapon

5004: extra "attachments / not needed"

* : play once in a looping animation
{ event 7100 2 "*..\sound\goku\genericha.wav" }

|| : randomized sound play
{ event 7100 2 "..\sound\goku\genericha|1-4|.wav" }

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Update to this thread is
[video=youtube;0NFSK_MODnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFSK_MODnM&feature=channel[/video]

[video=youtube;WQxY3hRK0ic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxY3hRK0ic&feature=channel[/video]

[video=youtube;R0KnR6OLIE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0KnR6OLIE8&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;a7LMUhww3jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7LMUhww3jw&feature=related[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom