VGASave?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I have an issue, My old Pentium 3 667 Processor finally blew up.
So instead its been replaced with a Pentium 3 500 Katmai, until I can pick up a Tualatin (Note: this is not my primary PC its just my ESF Lan Box sorta thing).

Now I cannot install my nVidia Drivers, it just says when you right click >> Properties in the device Manager "Device Cannot Start".
It seems the Issue is attributed to the 440BX Slot 1 motherboards AGP Port, the Geforce 4 MX 440, and the VGASave Service thing.

2D acceleration is fine, but anything that uses 3D Acceleration's has no hope in hell of working.

System Specs:
440BX Asus Mobo, Slot 1.
384Mb of SDRam
Geforce 4 MX 440SE
Pentium 3 Katmai 500mhz.
Audio Excel AV512 5.1 using the CMI 8738 Chipset.
Typical PCI LAN Network card.
And a Luscent 56k PCI modem.

The only other Spare 3D Accelerator I have lying around is a Radeon 9550, and that has no hope in hell of fitting because of the changes made to the AGP port.
The Board also has no On-Board Video or sound.
I revently just formatted, and doing a system restore does not fix the issue, and uninstalling the Graphics card, and trying to reinstall it doesnt help either, same goes when doing the Motherboard chipset.

And it hasn't detected the monitor.
If I go: Right click on the desktop >>> Properties >>> Settings
It would usually say "LG 775 Monitor on Geforce 4 MX440"
But instead it says: "Default Monitor on".
Tried installing the monitor drivers to no avail.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Whatever the reason, your pc is not detecting your AGP card. See if your AGP slot is disabled in bios. While you're there, make sure it's set to the proper multiplier. x2,4,8. The only thing you've changed here is the motherboard, so it has to be an issue with that (unless you've damaged something in the process). Check the power supply, make sure everything is secure. It's also possible the new motherboard does not support the multiplier your card is default to run at. It *should* just run at the lower speed, but you never can be sure with computers. I would spend a long time in BIOS, one other thing to check for is conflicts between your chipset and nvidia products.
Cheers =)

Edit:
The VGA save is active when your motherboard does not have the most recent drivers to support your Video card, if you have updated your motherboard drivers via their website, press F8 after POST and select, "Enable VGA Mode". See if that helps.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Seems I can't solve this issue, I tried checking all the AGP settings, IRQ settings, updated the BIOS, Changed the Video card over to a Matrox G550, Radeon 7000 and still the problem is there.

And to make matters worst, a friend's machine has the same problem, and thats an AMD K6-2 500, 256mb SDRAM, TNT2 M64.

And:
"he VGA save is active when your motherboard does not have the most recent drivers to support your Video card, if you have updated your motherboard drivers via their website, press F8 after POST and select, "Enable VGA Mode". See if that helps."

Didn't work unfortunately.

Edit: Had Enough, Gonna' format, no matter what I have tried nothing seems to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom