580GTX Reviews are in ~

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, baking a graphics card works.

Over-clocking? EVGA has a over-clocking life-time warranty, so no issue, not that they could tell.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said you were either rich or hated your money. If you weren't rich, then yes, I'd say you were kind of a jackass. If you have more money than you know what to do with, then why not?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Try the oven trick to revive your 8800GTS :) (Just be careful though that you follow the instructions carefully, don't want some capacitors to blow up inside the oven)
I don't think the oven trick would work on a fried memory chip

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For those having low FPS with current cards. Try turning off that AA. On resolutions like 1680x1050 or higher, you'll only notice it the first 3 times, after which you will not even notice the jagged edges anymore. But your FPS will take a massive leap forwards. AA is overrated. I seriously haven't turned AA on in like...8 years or so. Even if I have 120+ FPS, I can't be bothered to turn it on. Though part of that can be blamed that for the pas 3 years I have had a laptop with a 15.4 1680x1050 resolution, and now I have a 1920x1080 15.6 inch resolution. So pixels are likely a lot smaller on my screen than on most other screens here.

Still, that shouldn't stop you from at least trying it for a week or 2. You'll be amazed how much you are spoiled with your fancy graphics cards, and you'll find out that you don't have to max out EVERYTHING to have an equally enjoyable (graphic) experience. Shadows, lighting and sharper textures are more important than AA.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I should probably clarify further that at no point did I say or believe that having the money for a top of the line system is a bad thing. There's a clear distinction between having the money and being able to afford it. Most people have to seriously manage their priorities when it comes to their money. If you have the money and can afford to spend it on a system that provides something you want, then nothing should really stop you from having it.

Just in case anybody got the wrong idea. Quagmire has a habit of quoting me out of context during his regular freak outs over these silly things. o_O

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My heart warms up to this thread.

Best answers
I should probably clarify further that at no point did I say or believe that having the money for a top of the line system is a bad thing. There's a clear distinction between having the money and being able to afford it. Most people have to seriously manage their priorities when it comes to their money. If you have the money and can afford to spend it on a system that provides something you want, then nothing should really stop you from having it.

Just in case anybody got the wrong idea. Quagmire has a habit of quoting me out of context during his regular freak outs over these silly things. o_O
This is a new habit I'm yet to hear of.

Got proof that such habit exists?

Stop trolling...

You can have a cry about context if you like, but it'll just be hypocrisy for you to complain about it seeing as you've probably done the same thing before.
You can expect someone to post negative things regarding yourself when you are going to label people jackasses...

I didn't freak out, I just simply pointed out that you were discriminating against a certain group of people: Enthusiasts! And since you put me in that category, You somehow don't expect me to feel the least bit offended by such useless posts that would otherwise be regarded as useless?

I'd admire you're abilities to be silly too ;/

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhhhh, ATI and nVidia were taken down recently for price fixing. Free market for the win.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/email_exchange_nvidia_ati_price_fixing_cartel/
Yes I know they were sued for price fixing. I'm talking about innovation, without competition, nothing good happens. For instance, you can see how Intel has gotten off its lazy ass and made some really amazing tech because AMD got close enough to scratch them with the Athlon 64. In a totally controlled economy there is no competition because the state owns it all. That being said, most economies are somewhere between here and there. But this is not about the economy, its about graphics card manufacturers, which are pushing eachother to greater heights of awesome due to demand. At any rate, my original comment still stands, as price fixing is against free market principals. Freedom comes with responsibility.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes I know they were sued for price fixing. I'm talking about innovation, without competition, nothing good happens. For instance, you can see how Intel has gotten off its lazy ass and made some really amazing tech because AMD got close enough to scratch them with the Athlon 64. In a totally controlled economy there is no competition because the state owns it all. That being said, most economies are somewhere between here and there. But this is not about the economy, its about graphics card manufacturers, which are pushing eachother to greater heights of awesome due to demand. At any rate, my original comment still stands, as price fixing is against free market principals. Freedom comes with responsibility.
This exactly. Competition is what branches like these need to make innovative products and keep prices relatively low.
I especially enjoyed your last sentence.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I understand your point. However, what I was trying to say without actually saying it is that no one knows if AMD/nVidia/Intel are still in a price fixing ring. The technological advances we see today could just be something they already agreed on to release. It's a pessimistic and cynical world view, but it is one with feasibility. For all we know, if competition had be tougher, we might have had Core i7s released 5 years ago or Eyefinity/3D gaming out much earlier. You can't give all the credit to free market when it could be at least partially shadowy corruption. Especially when there is tons of evidence of it taking place in the past.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Was Intel ever implicated? I thought it was between AMD and Nvidia.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-3-way-sli-review/6

Balls lol, 3-Way 580 GTX SLI manages 140 FPS in Bad Company 2, with DX11, 1920 x 1200, 8x AA, 16x AF, and all settings maxed. @ 2560 with the same settings, you still get 116FPS.

Insane over-kill for sure, but I guess it shows even three-way SLi can actually help.

Crysis seems to be CPU limited as the third 580 actually makes it run worse...crappy games that are not coded well.

In Metro 2033, one 580 is as powerful as 5970(two 5870's), and amazingly enough, performance jumps 100% each card added.

1920 x 1200, AA off, DX11 mode, and settings maxed.

91 FPS. ******* amazing, I thought it was the new Crysis in terms of performance, but wow. Of course, 3x 580 is like...1600-1700$ just by itself, but for those rich ass enthusiasts, be a treat, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom