580GTX Reviews are in ~

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/1.html

Wow, the 580 GTX beats the 5970 from ATi, a dual GPU. 580 is also a single GPU, which will consume less power, and generate less heat, and is 80$ cheaper, according to the review.

Of course the 5970 beats it on higher resolutions...but meh. 1680 x 1050 is enough for me in most games.

I only purchase single GPU's, I don't do SLI or dual GPU solutions, so for me it's a pretty big deal. BEASTLY performance.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting.

If it stays as an unbeaten single Gpu, it'll be on my wishlist.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I mean obviously people will suggest like 460GTX in SLi will beat it and probably be cheaper...but still, there are just so many issues with SLi games, and most days we get console ports, which don't support it anyways. I'd rather just have one, single powerful card. I also have a GTX280, and according to the charts, it's an average of a 2.5x increase in performance. Pretty awesome upgrade for me. I hate all the people screaming about this is what the 480 should have been. Well it wasn't, it's not, this is the 580. They're just angry they bought the 480 at launch and didn't even wait a few months.

Golden rule as a techie: Do not buy the latest, greatest hardware the first few weeks it's release. Wait, 3-6 months, for a significant price drop, or perhaps in NVIDIAs case, a updated version like NVIDIA does. They always release a card, then 3-6 months later, release the card with update modules that give it better performance, fix bugs, and use less power / less heat.

Then all the people who bought it right away complain about this and swear to never buy NVIDIA again. It's just common sense in anything...you don't buy a new version of anything when it's first released, you wait and hear the reviews.

Last edited:
Best answers
I'm half tempted to upgrade my 480s, but there isn't a huge benefit in it for me imo. The quieter vapor cooler though is something that has caught my interest.

We need more reviews before I can come to a complete conclusion on that however. Judging by the fact that another generation of gpus will most likely be released to the end of next year, i'd probably be better off waiting till then.

And while I'm sorta interested in seeing what AMD have with the 6900 cards, I'm not the hugest fan of their drivers.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how it beats the 5970. For only 80 bucks more, you still get 30 FPS more in many games. So I definitely wouldn't count it out yet. It's interesting though that the 5970 gets like 190 FPS @ 1024x768 where the 580 gets 210 FPS. However, if you up the resolution a bit, suddenly the 5970 gets 150 FPS where the 580 only gets 120 FPS. Weird, up the resolution to 1280x1024, and the 580 suddenly drops 90 frames per second, where the 5970 only drops 40 FPS.

I'd still call this review inconclusive

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like a good high end part, but high end parts have never been cost efficient. Generally speaking 2 gtx 460s or 2 5850/6870 s offer more performance for less money.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's pretty cool, but far too expensive for me. Nah, I'm at peace with my rockin' GTX 460. Never owned a card so powerful, so efficient, and so cool running. When Crysis on max doesn't break 60 Celsius on your GPU, you know you've broached some kind of computerized harmony.

Then again, my monitor only supports up to 1024 by 1280, so that might also sorta' help it in this age of HD.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even at 1920x1080, my GTX 465 crushes every game. I kinda feel sorry for the jackasses that hate their money.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even at 1920x1080, my GTX 465 crushes every game. I kinda feel sorry for the jackasses that hate their money.
This, 95% of the latest games can be run on max settings at a 1680x1050 resolution on card that's 200 dollars.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm glad nVidia pushed the envelope, now I can't wait to see ATi's answer. Competition and innovation, this is the stuff free market is about.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This, 95% of the latest games can be run on max settings at a 1680x1050 resolution on card that's 200 dollars.
Well that's never been new. For as long as there have been PC components there has been 1 rule: you pay premium if you want the highest performance. But one thing you can't do with a 460 is run max settings and nice AA settings.

For all parts there is a price segment that is too cheap to be seriously considered, after that follows a segment where value/performance scales linearly with price and after that comes the e-peen range (usually with a huge price gap as well, like 200$ more for 200MHz more cpu speed).
The GTX 460 (and the AMD 6850) happen to be at the price/performance sweet spot. I hope NVIDIA delivers a 560 that is a worthy successor so I can stuff 2 of those in my pc :D

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I really don't like is my friends with their Tri-SLI 480's complaining it's not a big enough difference to upgrade.

NO ******* ****! YOu have a Tri 480s!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I really don't like is my friends with their Tri-SLI 480's complaining it's not a big enough difference to upgrade.

NO ******* ****! YOu have a Tri 480s!
Yeah, some people REALLY dont know when to complain.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
No money, don't care...... but i'd like to have it...

excuse me while i go cry in the corner

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No money, don't care...... but i'd like to have it...

excuse me while i go cry in the corner
Yes man...I have no money, but I told myself when I bought my 280, I was going to wait til the 5xx series and get that, skip the 4xx because if 4xx was supposed to be so amazing, the 5xx would be even better, and it is, but just not as much as people were hoping. So yeah, I'll save up, pray, and hope to get one of these + a few other new nick nacks.

It's really depressing when I can't run Oblivion @ 60FPS constantly, even with shadows & distance not maxed out, and that game isn't too graphically impressive, but I can make up for it with EXTRA POWER!

Or Bad Company 2, I saw results in there of 115FPS @ 1920 x 1200 4xAA, 4xAF, all settings maxed, DX11 mode...on my current rig I do 1680 x 1050, with 4xAA, 4xAF, no shadows, DX9 / 10 mode, and go as low as 32-35FPS at times...unacceptable.(I think I have some kinda OCD / perfectionist issue, cause sometimes I'll refuse to play a game if my FPS looks kinda sluggish(I have a hard time accepting anything below 45FPS)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd get a raging boner if I was getting 32-35 FPS in BC2.

Serious.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But one thing you can't do with a 460 is run max settings and nice AA settings.
My $220 GTX 465 runs absolutely every game I've played maxed out (including Crysis). There would be no conceivable reason for me to spend any more money when the comparably modest sum I spent gave me a game-crushing beast.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
@Mkilbride

Since 2011 is just around the corner it looks like waiting on the 600 series is worth it.

Oh, and about that Bad Company 2 performance. I wouldn't use that 4xAA. The 200 series won't do good in BC2 because of the horrible coding it has. And crank that AF to 16X. The difference between 2x and 16xAF is 1 FPS. I tested that in Borderlands.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yes man...I have no money, but I told myself when I bought my 280, I was going to wait til the 5xx series and get that, skip the 4xx because if 4xx was supposed to be so amazing, the 5xx would be even better, and it is, but just not as much as people were hoping. So yeah, I'll save up, pray, and hope to get one of these + a few other new nick nacks.

It's really depressing when I can't run Oblivion @ 60FPS constantly, even with shadows & distance not maxed out, and that game isn't too graphically impressive, but I can make up for it with EXTRA POWER!

Or Bad Company 2, I saw results in there of 115FPS @ 1920 x 1200 4xAA, 4xAF, all settings maxed, DX11 mode...on my current rig I do 1680 x 1050, with 4xAA, 4xAF, no shadows, DX9 / 10 mode, and go as low as 32-35FPS at times...unacceptable.(I think I have some kinda OCD / perfectionist issue, cause sometimes I'll refuse to play a game if my FPS looks kinda sluggish(I have a hard time accepting anything below 45FPS)
You think you have it bad?
I had a 8800GTS which died 4-5 months ago, then i bought a used 8800GT for around 50$(and i had to sell my PS2 to be able to afford it).
I almost never get fps over 50 no matter how i set the details up on new games... and to think that the 8800 series was all the rage 2-3 years ago

Best answers
You said to me in another thread that I hate my money and now you call me a jackass?

I can afford it, unlike you, so theres no need for your commentary? Or perhaps you feel inclined to comment about it because of jealousy?

What about those of us that use eyefinity/surround?
What about those of us that want to play games in 3D?
What about those of us that like to play games maxed out with PhysX turned on?
What about those of us that like to play games on 27'/30/ monitors that have a resolution higher then 1920x1200?

Apparently, according to spunky, we are all jackasses ;/

And lol about your comment regarding overclocking in another thread, its actually pretty difficult for manufacturers to tell that something was overclocked unless you're being stupid and pumping ridiculous amounts of voltages through your hardware... Not everyone uses Water cooling or Phase change like your closed-box mind would seem to think ;/

Yet again, accordingly to this person, who told me to re-read his post because he feels he is god, people who want high-end hardware must be a jackass...

You think you have it bad?
I had a 8800GTS which died 4-5 months ago, then i bought a used 8800GT for around 50$(and i had to sell my PS2 to be able to afford it).
I almost never get fps over 50 no matter how i set the details up on new games... and to think that the 8800 series was all the rage 2-3 years ago
Try the oven trick to revive your 8800GTS :) (Just be careful though that you follow the instructions carefully, don't want some capacitors to blow up inside the oven)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom