400GB Disc for Playstation 3?

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
A new 400GB optical disc could end up being compatible with existing Blu-ray players, such as Sony's PlayStation 3, creator Pioneer has informed online publication Edge.

While current Blu-ray players and drives will not be able to read the 16-layer disc--each layer can hold up to 25GB--Pioneer claims that a firmware update may allow existing players to be compatible. The technology is expected to hit mass market by 2010, with a 1TB version of the disc format expected to arrive within five years.

However, Pioneer further noted that the technology "is not being proposed as a candidate for addition to the existing Blu-ray Disc format" at this time.

Blu-ray discs currently max out in a 50GB design consisting of two 25GB data layers. Sony has yet to comment on the possibility of PS3 support for the new technology.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56200

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
=o

Oh how times have changed since magnetic tape and vinyl....

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Word on the street is that most PS3 games don't use most of the Blu-Ray disc's capacity. What's going to be done with the remaining 375 GB? =P

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Word on the street is that most PS3 games don't use most of the Blu-Ray disc's capacity. What's going to be done with the remaining 375 GB? =P
That's not surprising.

A single layer Blu-ray disc is 25GB and I have yet to come across a game that large (that I know of, anyway).

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If they used the 400 GB disc for old PS1/PS2 games that can be played on the PS3, like a package with like 40 (or more until it fills the discs) full games on there, I'd so buy it. Would be great for packaging a couple of movies with that amount of space too.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You would be able to fit about 100 PS2 games on one of those discs.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm yeah, there is no developer on the face of the planet dedicated enough to fill that capacity with a game or yeah >.> dunno seems like a good idea for packaging **** together though.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
**** man thats more than my current HD capacity :s

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If i recall, Hideo Kojima wanted to make MGS4 a 2 disc game. He wanted to fill the first disc and start on a second. Sony however werent keen on bluray being perceived as small and wouldnt allow it. Was this true or was this a rumour? How much space was used on the MGS4 disc?

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say mgs4 would be 10 gigs max, probably half of that.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, by developing that disc they won't have to develop anything else for the upcoming 10 years for video game discs.

Although I somehow believe that we will stop with discs for video games and u will actually have a huge ass hard disk in the console and the games you will buy will be on disk-on-key, or something like that.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say mgs4 would be 10 gigs max, probably half of that.
I'm pretty sure it was 25 gigs or more. I heard they wanted it to go on the 360 but couldn't couldn't fit it all on one disc.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude my EA folder with crysis, crysis warhead and dead space is smaller than that. There is not that much content in mgs4.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
wikipedia said:
Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc, even after extensive efforts in data compression.
source

mgs4 is ****ing badass.

ok... so with all those hours of cutscene animation, almost flawless in-game animation (can't imagine how many frames...) lots of 1024* textures per model. world models/animations etc. i can imagine it being pretty big :p

Last edited:

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That's coming from Wikipedia. I sincerely doubt they actually tried compressing things. When you have that much space, you can just throw **** on there without worrying.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I stand corrected, I knew msg4 was a massive feat- but this is pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom