3dsMax 9 or Maya 8.5

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which one is better to use? And who knows to make models he should tell us which one is his best model? I'm new with Maya, so nothing from me. lol:talk:

Best answers
depends on the user with what he can work try them out and see for youself.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i use both... although i'm much more comfortable working in max, i've found that animations, and well... just about anything to do with animating in maya is easier. it seems to have a more robust rendering system too.

but for modeling, i prefer max, i'm much quicker and comfortable in it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i use both... although i'm much more comfortable working in max, i've found that animations, and well... just about anything to do with animating in maya is easier. it seems to have a more robust rendering system too.

but for modeling, i prefer max, i'm much quicker and comfortable in it.
Can you model in Max and then export to a Maya format?

And by the way, exactly WHAT has been added to Max in version 9? I haven't heard a thing about any new features. What's the buzz that makes it worth upgrading?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you model in Max and then export to a Maya format?

And by the way, exactly WHAT has been added to Max in version 9? I haven't heard a thing about any new features. What's the buzz that makes it worth upgrading?
I found this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8108755

Between Maya and 3D Studio Max, I think 3D Studio Max is better (though this is coming from someone with little-to-no modeling ability). The reason for this is that I used to mess around a lot in Gmax, but once it was no longer supported I switched to 3D Studio Max for a while. The switch was pretty easy since both programs are very similar to each other, though I didn't get into any serious modeling.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just bought Maya 6 Book by Danny Riddel ( I have MAya 8.5, but there was only Maya 6 in bookstore (I live in Serbia)). So, what do U guys think, how much time I am going to need to learn modeling and making maps?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just bought Maya 6 Book by Danny Riddel ( I have MAya 8.5, but there was only Maya 6 in bookstore (I live in Serbia)). So, what do U guys think, how much time I am going to need to learn modeling and making maps?
It usually depends on how dedicated you are to learning either trade, plus how much time you're willing to spend learning and working. Either way, it will take a long time to become proficient at mapping or modeling. Not to mention that a book or tutorial will not be enough to help you become better. The only way to become better is through trial and error.

Also, Maya (or any 3d modeling program) isn't used to make maps for Half-Life nor do I think Half-Life could run it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe he means to do envoirment/level design
or
Uvwmaps/Color maps/Bump/alpha and so on maps who knows.

it will take you a while, luckly you have a book, if you will follow it good enough you wont take to long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom