3DS Max: God-ray effect from Omni light?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Working hard on a final project for class, and I've got an object that's glowing partially due to a tweaked lens-flare, but mostly due to a volume light from an omni light in the object's center. Light shines fine, but I also wanted spots of the light to have animated random dark spots, creating a sort of God-ray effect, much like that seen in DBZ during, say, a charging Kamehameha.

Imagine this, but from a spherical source instead of a direction.

I've tried animating a noise map and using is as a projection map on the light, but that's only showing holes in the light facing the texture map towards the screen, it's not blocking the light at the base in the way that would be desirable.

I know I could probably use it as an alpha map on a sphere surrounding the light for this, but I'd be worried about hiding the object from render while still producing the shadows, and overall the method seems pretty sloppy, and I'm sure this can be done in a more elegant way.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hate to double post, but I think I posted this too late at night and the thread has fallen off the radar. Hopefully the only self-bump I'll make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom