2048 texture technique?

Best answers
I have readed CS tutorial on ESF-World, but there is something I don't understand.

The question:
Should I make a 2048x2048 texture for all of the textures I am going to use in my final result? (Like the dirt and sand and grass textures etc.)

If so, then, how do I make it a 256x256 to a 2048x2048 texture?

And last, if I make some cliffs an other way than the others, don't i look weird that the mountain lines are laying horizontly and the other sides are vertically?

Hope you understand. Just ask if you don't.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Maby this will make you understand.

C:\...\SteamApps\your account name\half-life\esf\textures\esf_gero

Check out those pictures. You should see how they add up to stuff ^^

If you still dont know. Use a program and stick them together like a puzzle. You should notice that they fit together nicely. You should also relise that they represent the map the same way as if youd look at it from the highest point straight down.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Theoboy said:
I have readed CS tutorial on ESF-World, but there is something I don't understand.

The question:
Should I make a 2048x2048 texture for all of the textures I am going to use in my final result? (Like the dirt and sand and grass textures etc.)

If so, then, how do I make it a 256x256 to a 2048x2048 texture?

And last, if I make some cliffs an other way than the others, don't i look weird that the mountain lines are laying horizontly and the other sides are vertically?

Hope you understand. Just ask if you don't.
I personally don't recommend making all of your textures 2048x2048 since it makes the final BSP larger and can cause problems. Just try to estimate the best size for the texture you make based on what you are going to apply it to.

Best answers
Grega said:
Maby this will make you understand.

C:\...\SteamApps\your account name\half-life\esf\textures\esf_gero

Check out those pictures. You should see how they add up to stuff ^^

If you still dont know. Use a program and stick them together like a puzzle. You should notice that they fit together nicely. You should also relise that they represent the map the same way as if youd look at it from the highest point straight down.
Yeah I know, I've seen some before.
The problem is: How do I make a 256x256 textures to a 2048x2048 textures?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If you mean in hammer than just scale it up 4 times ^^

If you mean while making them than its pointless.

Best answers
It's in a photostudio.
Then how do I make a 2048x2048 texture? (The one I use in hammer/the final texture.)

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
But in hammer you shouldnt use more than 512x512 textures.

Look all you have to do is make textures in wally the size 512x512

Than in hammer you scale them up by 4 and you have 2048x2048

Best answers
Okay.

Look, if I want a mountain in my map, then I have to have a mountain texture. And if I want to have some grass, I need a texture for that too. How do I make the 2048x2048 texture I cut into 512x512 textures, with the mountain texture and grass texture in it?

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
yea, like I told you, make 3 layers and make the terrain's textures like you want, then when you've done that you'll have it completed as a 2048X2048 texture, open it up in MS paint, and individually cut it up into 16, 512X512 textures, then just save it in your own .wad and add it in Hammer, the rest I think I've told you, or just chat again in msn.

Oh and to make a 256X256 texture into a 2048 one, just copy it until it fills 2048 space, if you don't know what I mean, also come on msn. ^^

Best answers
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll make an new map where I use this texture technique soon.

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You can make 2048x2048 texture by copy/pasting the original texture next and underneath eachother. This requires a texture that allows this though.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well with photostudio you get a texture fill button, Theoboy told me about it, it saves alot of time, just add the texture to the texture fill list and click on a blank 2048X2048 and then it will automatically fill the whole space, but it obviously needs to be a repetitive texture.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing goes for paintshop pro and photoshop CS ^^

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not that much of a techboy, so eh... :p

Best answers
Thx for the replies for now.

Oh, and donnie, you can just use the fill bucket in the first layer and then create another and then use the fill bucket with the texture you want to be over the other one. Hope you know what I mean.

I have a new question though:
The texture is done and cut into 16 pieces of 512x512, so how do I map it?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you make a WAD using wqally.

Than you apply the texture to your map.

than you slice each part up into triangles and map using them. Each part of those 16 at a time,

Best answers
Okay, but when I try that the texture move. So it doesn't stay where it should. How do I fix that?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Look. Once you set the texture to a brush. That brush is a square right. Those are the borders. Dont move the borders or else the texture will move.

Or if i missunderstood you. Select the whole brush (or all triangles from that brush) and go to the texture tool. And set the textures to allign to world and not to brush.

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And make sure the scale is 4. You can move vertices within a one texture part. But don't do it near the edges or it will screw the allignment up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom