2012 US election thread - keep it civil

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
As you may have heard, Ann Romney's airplane had to make an emergency landing on Friday due to an electrical fire. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. But, via Wonkette, it did give Mitt this great idea:
When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she’s safe and sound.
Yeah, great question Mitt. I mean, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to crack the window when you're at 35,000 feet? You know, get a taste of that 500+ mile per hour breeze?
It'd be like the mile-high club for Seamus, with the added benefit of asphyxiation induced by the low oxygen levels at cruising altitude—assuming that you manage to avoid having the plane rip apart due to the sudden loss of cabin pressure.

Brilliant, Mitt. Just brilliant.

1:28 PM PT: Oh, and speaking of science, this is a good time to remember that late last year, Mitt Romney said he believed cold fusion was real. And that it had been solved.

2:43 PM PT: Figured it out: You need to be able to roll down the windows so you can check on the dog strapped to the roof. Duh.
Sources;
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...ase-of-fire-so-people-can-breathe-more-easily
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-beverly-hills-fundraiser-20120922,0,2317962.story

WAT WHAT WAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?!?!
Is this for real ?

US OF A, please stop electing retards. KTNXBye.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is why America scares me

Not to be hatin, Many of you are intelligent but you often somehow get the biggest idiots into power

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is why America scares me

Not to be hatin, Many of you are intelligent but you often somehow get the biggest idiots into power
They have idiots and we have mafioso in power over here. So what of the 2 is worse i wonder :s

Force Pit Member
Best answers
They have idiots and we have mafioso in power over here. So what of the 2 is worse i wonder :s
At least a mafioso has managment ability, something the idiot probably lacks.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well as I see it Mitt Romney is no where near fit for President. He was born into Money and doesn't understand what real work is. His father on the other hand was a man who worked his ass off.

Don't take me as an Obama supporter either. He is an air head as well. He can talk a mean game but can't back it up.

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
At least a mafioso has managment ability, something the idiot probably lacks.
Ahh, but the idiot doesn't need to have that ability.. because they hire people to work under them and do all the management stuff, and then take all the credit and go on to be their own idiotic self the next moment. :)

Edit for quote and opinion

TBH Death, I can't recall to many Presidents that COULD back up their talk. Some, but simply not enough.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's what politicians do

They say what we want to hear then do whatever they want

Our current PM said she would introduce a Carbon Tax, We have one
She said she wouldn't introduce a Mining Tax, I'm pretty sure we have one or it's in the works at the very least

Never trust a politician. We should go back to listening to royalty

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh, but the idiot doesn't need to have that ability.. because they hire people to work under them and do all the management stuff, and then take all the credit and go on to be their own idiotic self the next moment. :)

Edit for quote and opinion

TBH Death, I can't recall to many Presidents that COULD back up their talk. Some, but simply not enough.
Well, Clinton did back up a lot of his stuff but he did fall apart on some things. I will give him that.
Who I wouldn't mind have seen as a President was Ron Paul even though he had a few bad things. Then again I wanted to see what McCain could have done. But there are a lot of "What If"s in Politics.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Still an improvement in comparison to Bush. And that moron was re-elected! Seriously... But he pulled all the right levers, democracy, patriotism and capitalism.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From my view from the other side of the world, He was in power at time right time and took an action that at the time America thought was a brave and intelligent.

11 years later half the world is still involved in that action, some people are still for alot are against but that's not up for debate here :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is the problem with America. It has the money to help many other nations but not enough to help itself. This is possibly a problem for other nations too.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that there are plenty of things to not like about Mitt Romney, but I don't think this is a fair thing to criticize him for.

He just had a scare with his wife, whose plane she was flying in had smoke filling the room. They had to do an emergency landing. She could have died if the problem were worse. It seems reasonable to me that he would be upset, and it also seems reasonable to me that he would suggest something like the ability to open a window on a plane so that the immediate problem of smoke filling the air would be lessened.

As for the actual physics of it not working, I don't know why you can't open a window on a plane, and it doesn't offend me that he didn't know that you couldn't do so. I've seen WW2 planes fly without a problem with their canopy open, for example, so not having the knowledge that opening a window on a plane would be bad, it doesn't strike me as a big deal to not know this.

What bothers me are things like him saying he will not raise taxes on people who earn middle income. When asked if 100,000 is middle income, he replied no, it's between 200,000 and 250,000. What bothers me is that he views healthcare as a luxury. What bothers me is the video recorded in secret of him saying that 47% of Obama voters are dependent on the government, and these people who vote for Obama have the audacity to think that they're entitled to food, healthcare, and housing. What bothers me is that he thinks that 47% of the people voting for Obama refuse to take personal responsibility for their lives. What bothers me is his vice president on his ticket, who said that the morals of altruism (you know, caring about the welfare of others) will lead to an end of our civilization. What also bothers me about the VP candidate is that he received welfare when he was 16 after his father passed away, and used this money to pay for college -- I firmly believe that they'll work to destroy welfare if elected. What bothers me is that I have to criticize him on these things instead of what he plans to do if elected, because his plans that are out there are so vague that they literally read something like, "I will fix America. I will lower taxes. I will reduce the national debt." What bothers me is that he probably will reduce taxes, but on rich people who are already paying one of the lowest rates in history, all the while the gap between the rich and poor increases.

All the republican candidates were crazy this cycle. Is it too much to ask to have a reasonable republican candidate? I thought McCain in 2008 was a good candidate, but even then I'm under the impression that he had to bend a lot of his personal beliefs to get the nomination.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are still planes that fly around with doors and such open (Sky Diving)

But if she was in a pressurised aircraft then it would cause all sorts of problems opening something. Tearing the plane apart is a bit far fetched though.

I think myth busters did something on this

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreeing with Sub. Those are the primary things I have seen and heard about, let alone looked up myself. I personally wouldn't have mind seeing Hilary running again. Which surprised me she didn't.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think she is done as of now. If she runs then, I wouldn't mind seeing how she would run the US.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
They don't roll down because:

Here's why they don't do that.

Gravity tends to keep air molecules concentrated near the ground, so the atmosphere thins out as you go up. The air becomes so thin at 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) or so that airplane cabins must be pressurized above that altitude to prevent occupants from suffering from hypoxia, or lack of oxygen. Because temperature and pressure go hand-in-hand (i.e. low-pressure air feels cold), pressurization is also necessary to keep cabins sufficiently warm.

At 35,000 ft. (11,000 m), the typical altitude of a commercial jet, the air pressure drops to less than a quarter of its value at sea level, and the outside temperature drops below negative 60 degrees Fahrenheit (negative 51 degrees Celsius), according to The Engineering Toolbox . Exposed to such conditions, you would quickly die .

Pressurization is normally achieved by pumping the cabin with "bleed air," or compressed air sucked in and heated up by the plane's turbine engines. Pressurization only works in an airtight fuselage. Were you to open a plane window, the compressed air inside would rapidly rush out, atmospheric conditions inside and outside the plane would equalize, and everybody would die.

Plane windows that roll down would therefore be, in Romney's words, "a real problem."
Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-airplane-windows-dont

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well as I see it Mitt Romney is no where near fit for President. He was born into Money and doesn't understand what real work is. His father on the other hand was a man who worked his ass off.

Don't take me as an Obama supporter either. He is an air head as well. He can talk a mean game but can't back it up.
You know Obama was born into privilege as well, his grandparents owned oil companies . . . that's why his mom could afford to live abroad.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't run a country without having plenty of cold hard cash to get going

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, every president from the 60s on was born into an ass-ton of money. None of them have a clue what it is to be not-rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom