2008: The Year of the PS3?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not counting the Wii, it's already won this generation's console war by a land slide. It seems like right now, the real fight is for second place.

Currently, the PS3 has out-sold the XBox 360 in 2008.

Source.

I expect the PS3 to dominate in sales this year compared to the 360. HD-DVD is practically dead (source, source and source) and the fact that the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can get right now just so happens to be Playstation3, I expect 2008 to be the PS3s break-out year.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i've said it since the beginning, well, at least since i had all 3 consoles at the same time, that the PS3 was the smartest choice of the 3.

the xbox has more titles, but less quality.
the wii has games that i can only stand playing for about 10 minutes at a time.
the ps3 has titles which are a good blend of fun and thoughtful.

plus, bluray movies look the nuts.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the xbox has more titles, but less quality.
hard to take you seriously after seeing that, when 98% of the current ps3 games have gotten fairly bad reviews, and the majority of the cross-platform games wind up getting better scores on the 360 version.

i wont argue that ps3 will do better this year, (mgs4) but its going to be a hell of a battle just to even catch up with the 360, let alone beat it.

and the wii was outselling the 360? thats news to me, last figures i saw put the 360 well ahead of both of em. (in terms of $$$ anyways)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the 360 has more $$$ because it's more expensive to buy.

in terms of profit per unit, the Wii ****s on both competitors.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I plan to get a PS3 by the end of this year.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Xbox 360 has all the games.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Not counting the Wii, it's already won this generation's console war by a land slide. It seems like right now, the real fight is for second place.

Currently, the PS3 has out-sold the XBox 360 in 2008.

Source.

I expect the PS3 to dominate in sales this year compared to the 360. HD-DVD is practically dead (source, source and source) and the fact that the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can get right now just so happens to be Playstation3, I expect 2008 to be the PS3s break-out year.
I don't think HD DVD is dying, or really will die out, especially when big companies like Paramount are HD-exclusive.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HD-DVD is pretty much dead. And while I think 2008 might be a good year for the PS3, I don't think it will be "the" year for the PS3 or a "break-out" year.

The games are what matter most, at least to me and every other gamer I know well; and the PS3 sorely lacks in games.

How many games do each of the systems have rated 9.0 or above on Metacritic/Gamerankings?

Wii: 4
360: 11
PS3: 3

Out of those 4 for Wii, 3 are exclusive and 1 is multiplatform (Mario, Zelda, Metroid & RE4).

Out of those 11 for 360, depending if you consider "360+PC" counting as exclusive for 360, 4 are exclusive (Halo 3, Mass Effect, BioShock, Gears of War) If you discount 360->PC ports, then right now, that's 2. Because of Microsoft's relationship with the PC, I'd expect most of the top games to be ported.

Out of those 3 for PS3, how many are exclusive? None. As a sidenote, 2 of the 3 PS3 games rated 9.0/10 or above are rated higher on the 360/Wii, and the final one is tied.

The Wii's continued shortage contributed to the PS3's January sales--and the 360's shortage (I haven't noticed, as I'm not in the market for one anymore) supposedly affected it too.

But the out-sale of the 360 by the PS3 was by 39,000 units. 39,000 units per month, trying to catch up a 8+ million lead? Would take 205 years to catch up.

Good year for PS3? Maybe. The defining year where it beats the 360? Not a chance.

Edit: VgChartz is widely known to have a Sony bias. I'd suggest other, less partial numbers (which do exist).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2008-02-15-january-npd_N.htm

USAToday said:
Sales of console game systems were remarkably close. The Nintendo Wii sold 274,000, followed by the Sony PlayStation 3 (269,000) and the Microsoft Xbox 360 (230,000).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think HD DVD is dying, or really will die out, especially when big companies like Paramount are HD-exclusive.
Agreed. As long as 360's have HD-DVDs I don't think it will die out either. Although I did see an article on digg discussing the possibility of a 3rd X-Box. If that's the case I wonder what Microsoft will do, keep HD-DVD or switch to Blu-Ray.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
360s don't have HD-DVDs. There's a $180 add-on.. which wouldn't be a good investment, in my opinion. The selection is limited now that fewer studios support it, fewer retailers carry it.. and no games require it.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Dunno, by the time the 3rd xbox comes out, EA games or Vivendi will buy out all the gaming industry.

Thus there will only be one game company, with a simple name.

"Games.

We make games."

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd laugh if Atari came out of no where and took over... but, Sega would be the coolest monopoly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aren't there laws that don't allow monopolies? I don't see that happening, and if EA takes everything over we're all ****ing screwed.

And I did know you had to get the HD-DVD add-on, but I forgot about that. Still it seems like, for now, Microsoft is supporting HD-DVD, or they would be making Blu-Ray add-ons, no?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm hoping that the Wii's crushing sales numbers will translate to the developers ramping up support for the platform, as it's potential has barely been scratched. I think we'll see that in the back half of 2008 and 2009.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want more original and innovative games, like the Wii is effortlessly handing out left and right.

PC should be the for hardcore graphical FPS/RTS/MMO.

Let consoles be about stretching the limits of virtual reality.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the PS3 will do better than last year, but I just don't see it catching up to, or overtaking the 360.

MGS4 will win a lot of people over for sure, but how long will they stay interested if all they buy the console for is a single game?

Pushing consoles is all well and good, but it's the games that get people to stick to a console, as 360 has proven, even with its numerous hardware faults.

Best answers
Well, people are waiting for a price drop on the PS3. With almost a whole year past since it came out now, people are gonna want to buy it cheaper, so, I think the sales would overtake that of the 360.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's already had a price drop (or two? I'm not even sure anymore), but with the only system available here being that stupid 40 gig version without PS2 compatibility, I'm not rushing out to buy one.

My PS2's gonna crap out on me eventually (even though it's held up exceptionally well. It's a slimline btw), so I'm gonna want a system that's able to play my PS2 games once I don't have an actual PS2 anymore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wii only has exclusives, they spend most of their time own exclusives, they get sales just for a few games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom