2 internet connections depend on one another for no reason?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys -.-
I've had this problem from quite a while now. I'd really like to get some help about this :)
You see, my sister moved to her boyfriend's house a while ago. Her boyfriend gives internet to his neighbors and they pay him for it. And from some time now when he or his neighbors start downloading it affects my internet connection. Well.. The same happens to theirs when I start downloading. Since his neighbors seem to download almost all the time I never have a decent connection. I can't contact the internet dudes for support, because if they found out that my sis' boyfriend gives internet to his neighbors he's get busted for it being illegal. What the hell am I supposed to do? I pay for what? For a ****ty internet I can hardly surf the web with. I'm really tired of this. HALP!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What does your sister's boyfriend's internet connection have to do with your internet connection? Unless her boyfriend happens to live in your house, and is selling your internet connection.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What does your sister's boyfriend's internet connection have to do with your internet connection? Unless her boyfriend happens to live in your house, and is selling your internet connection.
He's like a few kilometers away? No he's not in my house :) I don't understand why we share the same connection... It doesn't make any sense.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have the same provider? Although that really shouldn't matter too much, unless they're having server maintenance right now. There's no reason why it should be linked, likely to be coincidence.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have the same provider? Although that really shouldn't matter too much, unless they're having server maintenance right now. There's no reason why it should be linked, likely to be coincidence.
Yeah we're on the same provider.It's been more than 2 months now... I actually did mention this to the support guys, but they said "They're not linked, it's from the heat" (which is a lie. It can't be from the heat when it's already so late at night. These ....)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well they are not linked either, that would just be stupid. So maybe it is just coincidence, and you are just imagining things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well they are not linked either, that would just be stupid. So maybe it is just coincidence, and you are just imagining things.
It's not. Sometimes when my sister's downloading I ask her to stop downloading and the internet fixes... It happens a lot that I ask her to stop. She stops. It's good. We're not imagining things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's illegal about sharing a connection with neighbors?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's not. Sometimes when my sister's downloading I ask her to stop downloading and the internet fixes... It happens a lot that I ask her to stop. She stops. It's good. We're not imagining things.
Linked internet connection with someone over a few km radius is not possible afaik... Still try going into your router settings and disabling the broadcast mode if possible and if not add a WEP encryption and see if it helps it might be that someone else is stealing ur internetz

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hes saying that if you have a wireless router, someone might be using you unsecure Wireless LAN to gain access to the net, stealing YOUR bandwidth.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What the hell?
Well i'm not that knowledgeable about this area but i assume that you're using a wireless router to connect to the internet. Thus i believe that you could secure your router(if it already isn't) just in case someone else is/might connect/ing and sponging off of your internet connection. Type the name of your router in google to find out how to access your router settings or call your ISP and let them guide you through.

*EDIT: ah Grega beat me to it

*EDIT 2: Then if you don't have a wireless router i don't think anyone can be stealing your bandwidth. Try calling your ISP and tell them about this. You don't have to tell them about the internet sharing or anything just tell them about your problem

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i'm not that knowledgeable about this area but i assume that you're using a wireless router to connect to the internet. Thus i believe that you could secure your router(if it already isn't) just in case someone else is/might connect/ing and sponging off of your internet connection. Type the name of your router in google to find out how to access your router settings or call your ISP and let them guide you through.

*EDIT: ah Grega beat me to it
And I already gave an answer to that, but you're all going in the wrong direction. It's my sister's boyfriend that's connected to me, not someone else >.>
I'm 100% sure of that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only way that is possible, is if he has a physical line connected to whatever you use to receive your internet connection. And then he must have that line running to his house, to 'steal' your internet connection.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The only way that is possible, is if he has a physical line connected to whatever you use to receive your internet connection. And then he must have that line running to his house, to 'steal' your internet connection.
Yea what ^^ said. Without a wireless access there is virtually no way to steal someones internet connection so it can't be that you two are linked. Unless he bought a few km long ethernet cable , sneaked into your house and connected to your router(assuming that's what you use)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to go out on a limb here. Are you both on Cable. Are your cable lines in a rural area and by chance not yet Fiber Optic? Is it digital cable in the area? Do you live in a rural area?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're definitely not linked to your sister's boyfriends whatever.

At best, you have a dodgy provider that can't handle a lot of traffic therefore when one household starts some heavy downloading it uses up all the bandwidth which slows the connection for everybody. Regardless of whether the source household is your sisters, your sisters boyfriends, or your sisters boyfriends neighbours (or yourself for that matter.) Which I believe was the response Cuc was getting at.

A good test would be to download something and check to see if your sister is being slowed. If that's the case then it's definitely an ISP issue and if they're blaming overheating then it's probably cause they're crap.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A good test would be to download something and check to see if your sister is being slowed. If that's the case then it's definitely an ISP issue and if they're blaming overheating then it's probably cause they're crap.
Here I just got my answer :)
Well thanks guys. I really admire your help :)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly what I was getting at. Old cable connections used to have local nodes that could easily be overwhelmed by one user. Modern cable is better, but it still has problems, and if the end of the ISP that faces the backbone is full of fail, then it can still happen, regardless of who's dling what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom