2 Ideas: Beam damage and video tutorial!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I have two suggestions that would really help/improve ESF all around.

First, I think it'd be a great idea to use fraps or whatever to create a video tutorial for all the noobs who some around asking how to melee, transform and whatever. Telling them and allowing them trial and error works, but its annoying. If you add this training/tutorial video to your file downloads, it'll vastly help the beginners, because they can actually see what's in-action and see how you're doing it.

Second has to do with beams. I know you get great explosion damage from a beam and all, but all the beam is damage-wise is the beam's head. The rest of the wave is just a sprite-trail. If it were possible, I think it'd be really cool and add to gameplay if you are damaged if you come into contact with the beam trail, even if its just like kiblob health degredation. I've seen and used the ability to just dive out of the beamhead path and run right through the trail with no consequence. It'd really make beams more formidable if they had to watch out for the beam in general.

I undertsand if this is difficult or impossible for the Half-Life engine, but then again, its just a suggestion and nothing more

Good luck!

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with both suggestions:

First Suggestion: There are tons of ESF tutorials scattered all over the place, but I do agree that it would be a good idea to include video tutorials with ESF or maybe demo's that you can run from the console.

Second Suggestion: That's a good idea and I think it is possible to encode.

I think the first suggestion would be more of a community project in which members from this community would put together either videos or demos to be included with the next version (or as a seperate download).

Good suggestions.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First, hopefully we will be doing something to help newcomers to the game in the next version. You'll just have to wait and see but i cud see ingame demo's being a good addition.

Secondly, beams in 1.3 will have a smaller blast radius but contact with the beam itself - not the beam head I know what you mean... but im not too sure that half life cud deal with that kind of thing, but it might be able to.

Personally I like it to give less damage to the player the closer the player is to beamer in comparison to the distance the beamhead has traveled, also lower powerlevels wud bounce of the beam and take damage (like how generic beams can sometimes stop you if u get hit face on), or if there's enough damage (depending on beam type,charge,powerlevels and distance between colision and the beam head) vapourise them. Maybe im over complicating it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom