15-Year Anniversary Since First Public Release Thread

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Nice video! just watched it, left a like and commented. Can I be featured in the next one?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Sure thing. :D

I'll see if I can host Alpha 1.5 (at least for the time being). Eventually, I'll do a recording for Alpha 2.0 (I could try looking into Alpha 1.8 or 1.9, though getting them to install is a problem these days).

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Alrighty, I finally got Alpha 2.0 Steam Compatible to work. It took modifying the 'fmod.dll' and replacing it with the Alpha 2.0 compatible release's 'fmod.dll'.

Currently, I will host it while using Tunngle (to nicely simulate a LAN). Used to use Hamachi for that sort of thing years ago (back in 2006 I believe), but so much has changed with it. Still working out port-forwarding, but Tunngle will suffice for now.

Available at this link: http://www.tunngle.net/en/

When I'm ready to host, I'll let y'all know (it will run on a private network). I'll even do a recording (since livestreaming 60FPS videos can be finicky through some services). Once recorded successfully, I'll make sure to credit y'all through YouTube. :D

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Sure thing. :D

I'll see if I can host Alpha 1.5 (at least for the time being). Eventually, I'll do a recording for Alpha 2.0 (I could try looking into Alpha 1.8 or 1.9, though getting them to install is a problem these days).
Okay, can you send me the IP and stuff

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Try x265 instead of x264

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Try x265 instead of x264
I'll look into using x265 for compressing videos made with OBS. I have experimented with x265 through Handbrake months ago and definitely decreases the size greatly. Only flaws I spotted right now deal with some quality loss issues (as x265 is still being matured). Once it greatly matures though, I will definitely use it.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It is vastly more efficient than x264, and is designed for intensive streams (eg 4K at 60fps).
My cousin is an avid video guru, and we are amazed at its performance more than any other codec we've used.
Lately I am seeing x265 videos at 480p that look almost identical to a x264 at 720p, at a significant fraction of the size - which really f*cks with my head lol (caveat - mostly anime examples which reduces the colour matrix significantly)
Definitely a very promising advancement.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Looks like it might be a while before YouTube properly supports H.265/HEVC (which includes x265) since Google is still endorsing VP9 mainly (at present).

As for the new anniversary videos, I haven't decided yet still when I'll host a server (I plan to do it over Tunngle for the time being). I'll reveal the Network Name and Password in due time.

Here are some planned recordings of different versions (instead of livestreaming, so I can fully utilize 60FPS without any interference):

Alpha 1.5 - Yes, I'm doing this version again. This time, with other players. Honestly, this is really the first time I'm going to play it with others since I have mainly played it with siblings or bots in later versions.

Alpha 2.0 - This one will probably last longer due to the excitement of this version. Especially with incredibly long powerstruggles (compared to even the betas).

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
If anyone is curious what happened to my future planned recording, I thought I would inform y'all that quite a lot happened recently. One being a death in the family. My mother passed away two weeks ago and just had a funeral earlier this Tuesday. Plus, I'm still working out different settings and turns out some of my OBS settings were wrong initially. With the right settings, certain maps can cause even larger than thought recordings.

Fortunately, I got Handbrake to deal with that sort of situation. If there ever comes a time again, I could also look forward to livestream (though 60FPS can still be an issue due to higher than normal bitrate requirements).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom