Yamcha

🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
The hair is amazing ^_^!!!!! And the sculpture thing is pretty cool too.

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Not bad Zeroc. Just fix arms proportions. Those are way off. Besides make his palms bigger.

And do not go the highest possible subdivision level at once. Just try sculpting with low level and raise everytime you reach the limit of what you try to reach. That way you will maintain your flow really nice. OR you could use dynamesh, but that takes sometime to get used to. If you want I could do some fixes for you till I don't see any problems for it.

Best answers
I love how much better your getting with every model you do, +1 the googly eyes are awesome!
hahaha, I love it too ;D
Very nice work Corez!! I love the way the hair is looking so far.
Thanx, you think it looks good enough?
I guess now you just need the scars and the symbols on his clothes.

Though I think the hairs on his forehead need to be a little less thick a a little more curved.

Also for users who may not know this simple rule please stop quoting posts with large pictures. No one needs to see the photos twice in the same page and it can make the page a potential ***** for some people to load. Also it looks ugly.Thank you.
well, I havent started texturing him yet, I will deffenetly make the scars and symbols, and more :)
About the hair, to be honest, I think it looks good, it looks anime accuarte atleast.
I think his eyes are too big but other than that it looks great zeroc :b
I think they look alright, Yamcha didnt have these sharp, angry eyes (unless he was angry xD)
The hair is amazing ^_^!!!!! And the sculpture thing is pretty cool too.
Thanx, the sculpture is cool ^_^
Not bad Zeroc. Just fix arms proportions. Those are way off. Besides make his palms bigger.

And do not go the highest possible subdivision level at once. Just try sculpting with low level and raise everytime you reach the limit of what you try to reach. That way you will maintain your flow really nice. OR you could use dynamesh, but that takes sometime to get used to. If you want I could do some fixes for you till I don't see any problems for it.
I actually dont use the highest subdivsion, and I sometimes use dynamesh, but not when I want to bake a normalmap. I would love it if you took a closer look at it. Wait, you mean the low poly model right? Because, as I said, the sculpture was just for fun...
Nice progress with yamcha model.
Thanx :D

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Looks really good that hair is amazing. The body looks fine now. He should have optional sunglasses. Cause yamcha's so cool

Discord Member
Best answers
hey man, you are seriously improving quite a lot very quickly. the model looks great n stuff, but the face looks a bit off. wasn't sure what it was, but it just didnt look like Yamcha to me but then I looked up a photo from the Manga and I can see what feels off about it.

The face/chin area is too V/U shaped. If you see in this pic below. you can kind of see his cheek square off before coming to the chin. The model is missing that look in it, and also when it does square off towards to the chin in ur model, it seems to be doing it way too early (close to the top).

See photo below and compare to model, u will see what I mean about it.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/305/e/8/yamcha_outline_1_by_lucinda_azul-d31zpwv.jpg

See how it squares off at his mouth level? the model squares off more at the nose area. Squaring off lower gives his jaws more definition like it does in the series.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...isterHo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120625224221

He has a pretty long face, in your model it seems more wide than long. and even in some images the squaring off occurs lower than the mouth. and before the squaring off it is more straight up n down than slanted.

The image you are using for reference is not the best, u can't really tell but his head is bent down a little, that's why it looks so wide as it does with his forehead sticking out. it really isn't like that.

Last edited:
Best answers
Maybe this can help with what that good vector just pointed out:
Btw, keep up the good awesome work!

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Just send me over in .obj format. Here on forums or on skype if you have me there.

Best answers
hey man, you are seriously improving quite a lot very quickly. the model looks great n stuff, but the face looks a bit off. wasn't sure what it was, but it just didnt look like Yamcha to me but then I looked up a photo from the Manga and I can see what feels off about it.

The face/chin area is too V/U shaped. If you see in this pic below. you can kind of see his cheek square off before coming to the chin. The model is missing that look in it, and also when it does square off towards to the chin in ur model, it seems to be doing it way too early (close to the top).

See photo below and compare to model, u will see what I mean about it.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/305/e/8/yamcha_outline_1_by_lucinda_azul-d31zpwv.jpg

See how it squares off at his mouth level? the model squares off more at the nose area. Squaring off lower gives his jaws more definition like it does in the series.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...isterHo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120625224221

He has a pretty long face, in your model it seems more wide than long. and even in some images the squaring off occurs lower than the mouth. and before the squaring off it is more straight up n down than slanted.

The image you are using for reference is not the best, u can't really tell but his head is bent down a little, that's why it looks so wide as it does with his forehead sticking out. it really isn't like that.

Maybe this can help with what that good vector just pointed out: Btw, keep up the good awesome work!
Im gonna try to fix it

Just send me over in .obj format. Here on forums or on skype if you have me there.
What is your username on skype?

🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Its those eyebrows, and the pupils are a bit too large.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do people keep insisting on using non-source material as reference? That Yamcha is ridiculous.

Best answers
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anime is not the source material. DBZ had a bunch of different artists drawing characters differently, you can't simply choose a certain picture and use it as a reference. Go with Toriyama.

3D Animator and Rigger!!!
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
so you are finally using zbrush :p wasnt as bad to learn now was it lol

I'd suggest taking that model, and scaling the torso to be smaller, so its not sooo...mr.universe. Big and bulky. Just scale the arms down a tad, and rescale the torso to be thinner. Not wider. His more like brolli with how wide his torso is with that amount of muscle.

Last edited:
Best answers
Anime is not the source material. DBZ had a bunch of different artists drawing characters differently, you can't simply choose a certain picture and use it as a reference. Go with Toriyama.
Yeah, Well unfourtunatly, Im not going to make it look 100% like the yamcha you want. Im doing this for the reason Deverz pointed out----to get better. Don't get offended and do the same thing you did with C17, Im not trying to be an a**hole, Im just trying to be a better character artist :p
so you are finally using zbrush :p wasnt as bad to learn now was it lol

I'd suggest taking that model, and scaling the torso to be smaller, so its not sooo...mr.universe. Big and bulky. Just scale the arms down a tad, and rescale the torso to be thinner. Not wider. His more like brolli with how wide his torso is with that amount of muscle.
It's really hard to scale stuff in zbrush. This was just a test though, Im trying out severaly ways to sculpt models, and I have only one left, ofcourse I saved it to last because it seems to be the best way. What I'm going to do is, export that body model into blender, and scale it to fit yamchas body propotions, then, I will make a REALLLLLLLLYYYYY simple mesh for the cloths, and export it to zbrush, then sculpt it and make a lowpoly version of it, lastly, bake a normal map and an ao map to make the diffuse map look better! Soudnds good right?

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So in order to get better you must take a shitty reference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom