1.3 Chat system

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Could be wrong but i dont think its a big ask tbh.

When typing you get a speech bubble icon above your head to let other players know when you are typing?

Quite handy to have i think. :D

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Question 1: Why would a speech bubble actually be handy, in technical terms or even aesthetic ones?

Question 2: Who really bothers to stand and type in this game? I mean unless you're playing on boresville servers where people just stand around wasting time, waiting for their turn until two others are done fighting, this is a fast-paced game where you move pretty much all the time. So really how the chat looks shouldn't really matter. At least not to me.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Lol its a social feature i think could be added. No doubt everyone is going to be using the chat on its release date anyway. It also lets you know who's actually typing or who is afk.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
voice chat
...that

and I doubt people would like to be social when they fly around in a map punching/getting punched. How many times do you see people having social conversations in counterstrike? (That means nothing along the lines of "QQ more noob", "suck my ^%ยฃ"" or anything else like that.)

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
"Sir , do you mind beeing punched to death ?" haha

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
WTF? People have conversations in 1.2 all the time i don't get where you are coming from?. It could be used as a good teaching tool for new starters.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
Deverz , you don't know but i will code in a gigantic bee model for me in esf :D so they are beeeeeing punched to death ;D

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
WTF? People have conversations in 1.2 all the time i don't get where you are coming from?. It could be used as a good teaching tool for new starters.
They may say you are a dreamer... and they are right.

Also I still fail to see the point in this needing to be a chat bubble when there already is a chat.

And suuuuuuure people will use it as a tool to teach noobs the game. Just like chimpanzees have tails.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
You bashed the guy/ OP with such pointless arguments about a thing that can be implented in a matter of minutes. And it seems to me you more bashed then actually thought about the idea he suggested

It's more a matter of - will devs have will to do it or not. More important is that it cant do anything wrong yet game can benefit from it. So why not?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
That's because having bubbles for chat is just about as useful/practical for this games gameplay as having a a fully animated dragonball that rolls somewhere in the corner.

Sure it looks pretty, but what's the point of it being there? Remind us that Dragonball Z is not really about the dragonballs any more.

Same for chat bubbles. There already is a chat, that people can see. People can see who it was that uttered the last message, they can see what was uttered in the last message. So why would bubbles be necessary?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Its a nice harmless feature. Its user friendly.

Last edited:
The only Russian ESF fan
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I often have social conversations while playing esf. Glide and type.

More importantly, will there be dragon balls and Shenron?

Discord Member
Best answers
Question 1: Why would a speech bubble actually be handy, in technical terms or even aesthetic ones?

Question 2: Who really bothers to stand and type in this game? I mean unless you're playing on boresville servers where people just stand around wasting time, waiting for their turn until two others are done fighting, this is a fast-paced game where you move pretty much all the time. So really how the chat looks shouldn't really matter. At least not to me.

hmmmm .... this bubble feature HAS BEEN used in the past ... and it WASN'T useless ... it was actually really freakin helpful. Back in the day ppl had this thing called "honor" ... you may have heard of it. It was either in ESF or DMZ that i saw it implemented ... and people were generally really good about it. People didn't attack people that were typing or conversing for long periods of time. I honestly dont think it's a bad idea to re-implement it again. If your afk ... then yeah ppl will beat down on you .... but if u have this rare thing called "honor" something that might b hard for u to grasp n understand you generally won't attack people who are just talking/conversing.

switching to talking in the middle of a fight is a different story though, but still the more noble and honorable players would still let the person type first ... some people actually like a challenge and want their opponent to be paying attention.

KUDOS!!!!!!!

-Ahmed

Super Cool Wicked Guy
๐ŸŒ  Staff
Best answers
Think adding a chatbubble(not sure if that's not even in, or was in at some point) is the smallest thing to do :D I rather had some experienced Ogl/glsl coder :D

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It was in at one point. Before the famous HL update that broke all sorts of things. Wasnt put in the new chat system yet, though the triggers might actually be still in the code.

Sadly the person who was working on that is no longer coding for us, so im not 100% sure where it stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom