✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Dangit Gabe

Why not Source 2? Dx

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Looks ugly, doesn't seem practical for games that use the tradition button layout and it's just...ugh.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Looks ugly, doesn't seem practical for games that use the tradition button layout and it's just...ugh.
That's because you're zombified to the standards, and you just don't want anything new , because you're used only to the old(and maybe not so good)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
That's because you're zombified to the standards, and you just don't want anything new , because you're used only to the old(and maybe not so good)
No, he's right. A keyboard has about 40 keys or so. THe Steam controller is only good for Valve games, and maybe a few others that fit it. It's not good for most games that require any amount of buttons.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
As a guy who plays fighting games and platformers, I just can't see how this controller will work well for those 2 genres, specially fighting games where you need to be in control of the face buttons constantly. i mean sure, for FPS this seems to be a great option and all, but for the rest, it just seems inpractical.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No controller or interface hardware will ever be perfect. But I'm personally liking the way this looks.

It'll be good enough for fps games to be competitive with mouse/keyboard, rpg's and mmo's would be great with it, I can't see platformers being bad. But yeah, fighting games might be a little awkward with it. I like that they're pushing the envelope a bit and I like that I'll be able to stream games easily across a network. Now my only concern is range and sensitivity, though I'm assuming the controller will be able to connect wirelessly to whatever device your streaming to and connect to the steam machine that way.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't look pretty but i'm digging the concept and tech behind it. Personally....i can see it work with any game type. And ofc....if you don't enjoy using it for some games there's always the good old keyboard&mouse combo.
Anyway i'm really looking forward to all of this. For Valve it's either glorious win or big fail with this gamble.

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
No, he's right. A keyboard has about 40 keys or so. THe Steam controller is only good for Valve games, and maybe a few others that fit it. It's not good for most games that require any amount of buttons.
No you're guessing.
We haven't played a game yet with the Steam Controller so it doesn't make sense to argue with arguments that aren't confirmed to be true.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
anyone know anything about NVidia shield? We can play dungeon hunter 4 on a gtx something something can't we?

--- edit ---

anyone know anything about NVidia shield? We can play dungeon hunter 4 on a gtx something something can't we?

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So... it seems that the 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
Taken from the Steam Universe Steam group.

The specs look awesome to me. I see some diversity there... they'll probably have units based on various budgets.

Also... the Steam Controller in action:

[video=youtube_share;EUlzg-fkHak]http://youtu.be/EUlzg-fkHak[/video]

Last edited:
I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
So... it seems that the 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:

Taken from the Steam Universe Steam group.

The specs look awesome to me. I see some diversity there... they'll probably have units based on various budgets.

Also... the Steam Controller in action:

http://youtu.be/EUlzg-fkHak
I haven't played anything with controllers, but that looks pretty nice.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's kind of a revolutionary type of controller in a way. I'm hyped about this.
Also based on the measurements given to us it will be slightly longer but just as thick as the Xbox360 S.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
I like the specs for the first 300 prototypes, but it is purely for testing. I wonder what they will go for eventually, but my guess is 760 with an i5 because hyper threading is needed so much while gaming (?) given that is pretty much the biggest reason for an upgrade jump between i5 and i7. Someone more knowledgeable can maybe discuss this further. Other than that it is pretty much standard, 16gb ram is good for future proofing, as 6gb is minimum for example Watch Dogs (what?). The thing that is bugging me is the HDD vs. SDD. You can really feel the difference in loading times on a SSD, two easy examples are TF2 or Planetside 2, which absolutely fly on a SSD. Having a HDD will probably worsen the user experience of the Steambox, however it can probably be upgraded manually after buying it.

I can see three different final specs for the Steambox, one budget that is purely for the streaming service and "light" to "medium" living room gaming, then the top seller which is a mix with good enough specs and focused on "mid-high" gaming experience, and then you have the killer spec which totally breaks the bank for the hardcore gamers out there, professionals and whatnot.

EDIT: In regards to the controller, the functionality is really interesting and forward looking. However the controller itself is ugly and I wonder how it feels. Furthermore, during the FPS demonstration you can really see how it doesn't quite stand agains the traditional mouse in forms of speed and accuracy, but who knows, it might require some training to get that top notch skill with that controller, so I won't be negative towards it just yet.

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well nothing can really replace mouse speed and accuracy but it's certainly a step forward from the current FPS experience on a PS/XBOX controller.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He was still managing some decent speed on that CS training run. It won't be as competitive as the Mouse/keyboard, but it'll make a great alternative for streaming a game to your TV. And who even knows just yet. He said in the video that he was currently emulating Mouse and Keyboard. Maybe designing a game around the controller itself will give better results.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The training run is a static environment. I want to see how one reacts in a more dynamic environment, where you don't know exactly what lies around the corner. We need a more hectic battle to gauge the controller's abilities in an fps.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yes, however you probably won't know how well it fares until you try it first hand or if you get more reviews from a larger sample of users. Because right now we have no idea, how good this guy is, how good his reflexes are or how long he has been using the controller. Furthermore, the controller is probably not finalized yet and subject to change. So any kind of guesstimation on how it fares will fall short at this point. I wish I could get my hands on it and see how I play compared to my experience with a keyboard and mouse.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's precisely because this person has probably mastered the controller that I want to see him play something more hectic. I want to know the upper limits of the controller; not what it'll be like when I pick it up for the first time. Of course, the more people who use it, the more accurate an impression one will have of its capabilities.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I still don't see how this can work with Fighters and Platformers just yet,but yes, It seems to be much better for FPS than the standard pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom