SteamOS, Steam Machines and Steam Controller

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I imagine you'd just be tapping where the face buttons would be in the case of fighters.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I imagine you'd just be tapping where the face buttons would be in the case of fighters.
How would that work? The current fighters on steam have like 4-6 buttons not including macros, how would tapping the trackpad mimmick pressing those buttons, and you have to notice the fact that you also need good execution in your directions for the specials and what-not.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are 4 face buttons on any fighter on steam, since they're all ported. So N, S, E, W on the right track pad are face button. Then you have like 14 other buttons around the controller. For fighters, you really only need 2 of the bumpers: 3 strong attacks in one button and maybe a throw button. As far as directionals, that's the easiest part since it mimics the joystick on an arcade. Shoryuken? Make a Z. Hadoken? Slide your finger down, hold and track it to the right. The rest are just extensions of that. Now, you have stupid games like Mortal Kombat where a fight is really just you memorizing a cookie cutter combo you saw on youtube, but I'm sure it'd work equally as well using the controller.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
That made sense, my only worry was really the face buttons, but that idea seems to work just fine, I won't deny that it will take time to adjust tho.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With that explanation, I can actually see fighting games working very well with touch control. Platformers I didn't really see a problem with either. You really only go left or right, and then have a jump button.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm worried about games like Civilization. It looked very annoying having to move the mouse across the screen, he had to do like 3 thumb swipes which will get tiring very quickly.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks pretty sleek, I still like the controller. But these SteamOS is gonna be free for download, right? You don't -have- to get a steambox for it?

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for bumping and double-posting in an old thread but the other one's busted (can't access it, Skyrider).

But anyway... not sure if you guys saw it already. Looks pretty sleek.

[video=youtube;5Ket5l5SGmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ket5l5SGmU[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom