[Suggestion] Slow Down While Touching Wall

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A gameplay idea.

When you're touching a wall or a ceiling, the speed should drop. This would require players to actually maneuver through narrow areas of a map in order to escape from opponents, or catch one.
A bump happening when you swoop right into a wall would be a neat feature as well.
These could be accompanied with specific sounds.

This feature wouldn't exactly be noob-friendly, but I definitely see myself having fun with it, as it opens up new combat opportunities.
What do you think?

EDIT: This is assuming wall run feature is not an option.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I think this is a very good idea, as long as the bump isn't something so unsatisfying as a 'bump'. :p

I think a sort of 'grating' effect against these other surfaces, not so much a sliding, would be best.

Anyway, good job, HLEV. May your pink forever be prosperous.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Question: We are playing that are capable of flying at ridiculous speeds. Why do they need to slow down before touching a wall or the ceiling?

In fact if anything I personally think these characters shouldn't even mind something as insignificant as a wall or a ceiling and should either a) smahs through it, but there are limits to what this game could do... one would assume or b) jump off it immediately and not stop to admire it's textures. Because this was quite the fast-paced game if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I played.

Just saying...

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, some limitations actually improve gameplay, so disregarding it because NOT IN MANGA wouldn't exactly be a good reason.

My suggestion to add some extra semblance of skill would be to time pressing jump or flight button right before hitting a wall to be able to instantaneously transfer to wall run mode, which would give more quick jump options, vertical run juking etc.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I think that this would be a great feature that would add some depth to the gameplay but still not act as a ceiling for newcomers because mastering char movement in this fashion would not be gamebreaking enough to get people to quit.

I like it!

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
This should definetly be implemented :yes:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's a good idea. My main concern is with its usefulness on most of the maps. Are there enough terrain features that we could implement this in our personal strategies, or are we going to find ourselves above the terrain more often than not? Its a little easier with maps like esf_cell_games/night because the ceiling isn't especially high, but the 1.3-specific maps seem a lot larger.

Other than that, it'd be pretty interesting to have dogfights in the same vein as fighter jets cruising through valleys and in between pillars and such.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats already there in 1.2.3.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
This would make the canyon and city maps pretty intense to play in. I like it.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I like the idea. It would give a reason to have maps with intricate valleys and whatnot. It would also open up techniques to lead your open toward a wall, turn off of it, then come around and get them while they are slowed down if they over-pursue and hit the wall.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will say that all you need to do to bypass this is fly straight up. Either he comes out to fight or your beams make friends with his butthole.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will say that all you need to do to bypass this is fly straight up. Either he comes out to fight or your beams make friends with his butthole.
You'd need to be pretty accurate when it comes to hitting a target which is moving through curvy walleys or so, especially considering that energy attacks' damage doesn't go through walls.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't foresee many, if any maps, having the kind of canyon system you have in mind.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Could something like this be used for the ground as well? You swoop towards the ground, press jump and take off vertically at double speed while knocking back any opponents who are near you at ground level and come near you as you rise? Defensive maneuver basically :V Can be changed to suit current gameplay, I just came up with it while reading and thought I might as well post it V:
Would add something to do in maps with not much in the way of valleys etc. etc.
EDIT:
Er, forgot to mention, if you fail, you basically crash and are stunned for a very VERY minor period of time.
EDIT2:
To prevent abuse, could perhaps use both health and stamina.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are plans for the wall running thing, but as it stands right now its a low priority feature.

ATM it is only a visual change for swooping near a wall or the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom