Destruction Answers

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A couple of weeks a go we showed you some images of destruction for ESF. This raised a few questions with some people, so in an effort to answer these I collected a few and presented them to Raven for answering.

Before we get down to it I would like to point out some things. First of all not every map with have destructible objects in it but we will make an effort to get it working in some of them. Secondly and more importantly, Destruction will only be enabled on certain objects and will not be enabled on terrain at all. We are adding decals to give you burn marks, cracks and other effects but nothing more than that will be used on the ground.

Now down to the questions, With a bonus for those that make it to the end.

What destruction method are you using, Will it be pre-animated, only break in certain places or fully dynamic?
It will be dynamic destruction, not dynamic fracturing. Meaning the assets will be pre-fractured but can break differently each time. Each chunks that gets loose is a rigid body in the physics engine and can therefore interact with the word.

What is the limit of this destruction? The tower shown is pretty small compared to esf_city with dozens of buildings.
The limit is basically the hardware. In theory we can destroy everything. We will however limit ourselves in order to preserve a certain performance of the game.

One tower is believable, but what if all towers get destroyed simultaneously? How will this affect FPS?
The more active chunks (rigid bodies) there more of an FPS drain will occur, we will therefore try to find a good balance between good looks and performance drain.

How strong will objects be? Can players swoop past, transform near or throw others into them to break them or will only strong beams work?
That is totally up to the artist who created the assets, in this case our mapper(s).

Will the models re-spawn after some time or be destroyed until the next game?
Not atm. A map reload or map-change will bring them back though.

Does this mean all destructible objects will need to be remodelled?
Not all of them but some might require some fixing as the fracturing algorithms require closed manifold meshes in order to work properly.

Will there be options to turn it off?
Possibly, yes that depends on the final concept. Meaning if objects will be partially destroyable and have to be synced between clients, then we have to force it for everyone or only leave a server-sided switch. One wouldn’t want a tower to be removed for one client while the other one can take cover because he turned off the feature if you know what I mean.

Will the destroyed objects stay or fade away? If they stay what will be the performance toll for Nvidia and ATI?
This is not yet decided and will be subject to change depending on the actual performance drain in upcoming tests. Leaving all the chunks in place won’t be a very wise decision performance wise. Some chunks might stay though, we’ll see.

What kind of struggles did you encounter during the making of all of this?
The kind of no proper documentation for the technology. On the other hand I wrote a thesis about that topic and it includes a lot of the issues one might face when dealing with dynamic destruction.

You can see Raven's thesis here www.corona-networx.com/hettich/Thesis.pdf

What kind of plans do you have for the future implementing these?
We just want to make it work for now and perform in a way that we can live with it.

What objects are planned to be destructible? For example, if the City map is still going to be in, will the Mr. Satan statue finally be destructible?
The city map as seen in some old screenshots is currently not included. We have several w.i.p. city map concepts but as it is right now we lack the manpower artist wise to complete them. I hope that someone will finish them, if so then they are free to decide whether they want to destroy the Mr. Satan statue or make it a static object.

Will the destructible objects be able to harm players?
They could do that, right now they don’t.

Will you be considering an option on the dragon ball wish list to restore the land/objects if yes will it provide a benefit?
Not yet planned, but that’s a cool suggestion.

Even with some settings turned off, how will a game handle ~10 players blowing things up and killing each other?
That totally depends on your computer. My computer handles it just fine  and in time most computers will. However this is definitely a feature that requires some extra power. We will try to find a way to balance it 

Will Ki blast make tiny holes in them until the rest of the structure can't carry its own weight and collapse?
That depends if we decide to make the objects partially destructible meaning network syncing each chunk or if we kill the whole object when it dies. We haven’t really decided that yet. It will depends on the outcome of some performance tests that we will have to do.

Will giant energy blasts like spirit bomb completely vaporize the structures?
Maybe, that’s a question for Dalte. Technology wise we can do it.

Wills beams just make giants holes at entry and exit positions?
That is not yet decided. Also depends on the network syncing test outcomes.

Thanks to Raven for taking the time to answer these. If you have any more feel free to ask. The best place to reach us is the forums but questions on ModDB and Facebook will be answered too

And now the bonus courtesy of Dalte http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRpYLGnFbVc

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Soooo. 2014 perhaps if not 2015 for sure :p
Seriously this sounds like a lot of work. >_>
The gameplay makes the game enjoyable you don't has to maximize everything,every detail,every animation...etc.

Best answers
The gameplay makes the game enjoyable you don't has to maximize everything,every detail,every animation...etc.
I think you're right. Originally I was thinking late 2013 or early to mid 2014, but with destruction of structures I'm thinking 2014 definitely 2015

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think you're right. Originally I was thinking late 2013 or early to mid 2014, but with destruction of structures I'm thinking 2014 definitely 2015
Well things may seem hard , while maybe they aren't that much hard.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your logic is stupid, why put any effort into anything if it's just about gameplay then? If developers started following this, then a lot of games would start being incredibly similar. The art and graphics aspect of video games have a bigger impact on games than we want to believe they do, and are just as important as gameplay. If games didn't have any effort put into the art, then they would look odd and the game itself wouldn't feel complete.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That has nothing to do with the destruction system in ESF.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea that was for ESF 1.2.3 how you can fool the game in to pseudo destruction.

In reality its just a system of entities linked to each other that involve doors, destructables and multimanagers.

And because ElectricDisc deleted his post. Me and dam are talking about this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4w4bb7t674

Best answers
My English is not so good,Well,看评论说要到2014或2015才会完成。e...怎么说呢,不管什么时候发布,我都会支持的~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom