Best answers
Could this article be anymore vague?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm gamer and i'm pretty good athlete :fight:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, when I do have an intense game of Dota 2 (the game based on the game that LoL is also based on) I do find myself sweating more on the right arm than on the left one.

So I suppose it's some sort of physical effort...

I LOVE KITTIES!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well professional gamers earn a lot of money.
Money from streams, money from sponsors, money from tournaments.
Simple example, Dota 2 International III tournament , prize pool currently is $2,532,432 USD.
Well I think it's really bad comparing eSports and Sports to the same criteria.
It should never be like that, it's good as it is by now.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gamers should be in the same category as chess players or poker players. Yes be professional about it, but to straight out call them athletes is a tad far fetched.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Its because of the new CIA secret project they are working on, trying to build a generation of athletic gamers so they remain with the right to call e sport proffessionals athletes incase someone tries to dismiss it and make it fall under another category.

--- edit ---

Its because of the new CIA secret project they are working on, trying to build a generation of athletic gamers so they remain with the right to call e sport proffessionals athletes incase someone tries to dismiss it and make it fall under another category.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just gonna be honest...This is really sad. Gamers ARE NOT ATHLETES.
Tell that to Korea and China.

E-Sports have become big. Skateboarding was considered not a sport at one time too.

Yea there isn't much physical athletics but there is quite a lot of mental athletics in this.

I can see both sides though.

Chess players should also get the ranking of Athletes if a League players can get it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It seems like it was agreed upon as an easy way to get foreign gamers over to the US for the competitions.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chess players should also get the ranking of Athletes if a League players can get it.
Thats just it. An athlete is someone partaking in physical sports, not mental ones. Though for better of worse there is no term that i know of that describes mental sports. With the progression of times it would seem that we need a new word describing the professionals who partake in competition involving out thinking your opponent (outside of war strategists that is)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats just it. An athlete is someone partaking in physical sports, not mental ones. Though for better of worse there is no term that i know of that describes mental sports. With the progression of times it would seem that we need a new word describing the professionals who partake in competition involving out thinking your opponent (outside of war strategists that is)
Well yea, as I said, Skateboarding wasn't considered a Sport at one point as well because they didn't run or anything, or when they did it was small kicks to keep them going.
They are only considered an Athlete in E-Sports. Call of Duty, Halo, Street Fighter, League of Legends, and any of the big MLG games consider the players "Athletes". Doom 2 and DWANGO are what really started all of this. What made it grow even more was Counter-Strike, Quake, Unreal, and many of those games. I prefer to use the term "Professional Gamer" over "Athlete".

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Shit! I thought I posted this in the General Chat section! My bad! Surprised nobody said anything actually.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yeah, totally agree that the word "Athlete" doesn't quite fit the subject, I would go with professional gamer as well or something of the like. However, what is the definition of an athlete, someone that participates in only physical sports or all kinds of sports?

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never heard a chess player being called an athlete

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
since they are now athletes league of legends needs to have an intro like this

[video=youtube;WyL8qrjDW3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyL8qrjDW3c&feature=player_detailpage#t=14s[/video]

and they still need to have ray lewis do it i guess

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;_Gz9um3wV1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gz9um3wV1o[/video]

team siren finna be professional athletes

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
i like how after one of the girls is all "yea the competition gets fierce" or something and the camera cuts to some hambeast raging at his friend

fierce competition guys

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they're athletes, I'm an Olympian.

From Mount Olympus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom