US government recognizes League of Legends players as pro athletes

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Tell that to Korea and China.

E-Sports have become big. Skateboarding was considered not a sport at one time too.

Yea there isn't much physical athletics but there is quite a lot of mental athletics in this.

I can see both sides though.

Chess players should also get the ranking of Athletes if a League players can get it.
Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Physical exertion - The activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit.

E-sports, by definition.. is not the correct thing to call them either. I don't know about you, but I've never met the person that uses theirs K+M or joystick or controller to keep themselves healthy and fit. They are professional gamers. Simple as that.

Note: I know you're looking at both sides of the fence with your reply, but both sides of the fence need to come up with something new if "Professional Gamer" isn't good enough. On the note of Chess players, I also agree that people that do that should have something. Poker players are called "Professional Poker Players" aren't they? So why is "Professional Gamer" and "Professional Chess Player" not good enough?

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Physical exertion - The activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit.

E-sports, by definition.. is not the correct thing to call them either. I don't know about you, but I've never met the person that uses theirs K+M or joystick or controller to keep themselves healthy and fit. They are professional gamers. Simple as that.

Note: I know you're looking at both sides of the fence with your reply, but both sides of the fence need to come up with something new if "Professional Gamer" isn't good enough. On the note of Chess players, I also agree that people that do that should have something. Poker players are called "Professional Poker Players" aren't they? So why is "Professional Gamer" and "Professional Chess Player" not good enough?
You have skipped quite a few posts.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Didn't skip them. Just didn't read them. Said what I had to say, someone else said the same thing, that's cool I guess.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
..So you skipped them.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Skipping them would imply I was on a page with said replies, and, as put "skipped them". I didn't bother to look past the first page. Can't skip something you never saw, you go on not knowing they ever existed.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
...yeah, that's skipping them. you saw the reply and chose not to read them, ie skipping them.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Only, I didn't see them, as stated. I currently have 3 pages of comments. Anything on the second page hasn't been seen by me.

EDIT Let me add that the first page, ends with the below quote:

It seems like it was agreed upon as an easy way to get foreign gamers over to the US for the competitions.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, so you skipped the second page.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
No, just didn't read it. Saw what I was replying too, and said my reply. It's really that simple. You don't like it, ignore it. You're implying that I wrote my reply, knowing that what was said in my reply was already stated. This isn't the case. No need to read further into a comment section then the post I want to address, as it doesn't matter who sees it the same way or doesn't. I posted my opinions on the subject, which I would have posted anyway even had I read the second page.

Because this is the internet, where you can do things like that.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it really matter whether we think they are athletes or not? The government thinks they are and technically thats all there is to it.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
It's not about what we think. Ok, picture it like this: You're a Football player (be it American football or soccer, doesn't matter), and you're recognized as an athlete. You got that way from not only making sure your body could compete at the level it needs to, but learning the rules of the game, learning to trust your team, so on and so on. Now, some guy, is being shown in the same light as you, for being able to click a mouse faster then someone else? (Granted, more is involved then just this) This is an insult to many great true athletes around the world, who spend the majority of their life honing their body/mind for their game.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
No, just didn't read it. Saw what I was replying too, and said my reply. It's really that simple. You don't like it, ignore it. You're implying that I wrote my reply, knowing that what was said in my reply was already stated. This isn't the case. No need to read further into a comment section then the post I want to address, as it doesn't matter who sees it the same way or doesn't. I posted my opinions on the subject, which I would have posted anyway even had I read the second page.

Because this is the internet, where you can do things like that.
You're the one reading further into this, I'm saying that you skipped those replies, which you did. You're denying it lol.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
You misunderstood the reading part. I'm saying, there was no point in reading past the comment I originally addressed, because that's all I cared about in this thread. That single comment. It made some points, that I was going to speak my mind on, even if someone else has already said the same thing. There for, I didn't skip anything, because what was said in those comments was no concern of mine. They were between whomever was having the discussion.

You're not going to prove to me that I was in the wrong for speaking my mind on a topic, it just isn't going to happen. I'll also continue to speak my mind on topics of interest to myself, and probably say something similar to what someone else has said in the future, simply because I'm going to read the comment, and start my reply there. It's not something you, personally, can stop me from doing. So just stop.

Last edited:

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not about what we think. Ok, picture it like this: You're a Football player (be it American football or soccer, doesn't matter), and you're recognized as an athlete. You got that way from not only making sure your body could compete at the level it needs to, but learning the rules of the game, learning to trust your team, so on and so on. Now, some guy, is being shown in the same light as you, for being able to click a mouse faster then someone else? (Granted, more is involved then just this) This is an insult to many great true athletes around the world, who spend the majority of their life honing their body/mind for their game.
I agree that it's not a sport, but the reason it's not a sport isn't because of a lack of skill. There's arguably just as much skill that goes into a game of Starcraft for example as there is in some other sports. I think it's not a sport because I view it similar to how I view chess -- a competitive game of skill, sure, but it lacks that physical aspect required to be a sport.

Also, please for the love of god stop arguing about whether or not he skipped the posts.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I agree that it's not a sport, but the reason it's not a sport isn't because of a lack of skill. There's arguably just as much skill that goes into a game of Starcraft for example as there is in some other sports. I think it's not a sport because I view it similar to how I view chess -- a competitive game of skill, sure, but it lacks that physical aspect required to be a sport.
I wasn't implying that they shouldn't be viewed as people with skill above the average person in whatever field they practice their skill in. Just that the term "athlete", has a rather set in stone definition, and there was really no reason to change from the term "Professional Gamer".

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Literally, the primary reason for this was more than likely to help LoL players get a Visa. Let alone the League of Legends All-Stars had 18 Million+ people watching it.

By skipping those that page you missed the fact that I stated, I prefer Professional Gamer over Athlete. Same applies to Chess players.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Literally, the primary reason for this was more than likely to help LoL players get a Visa. Let alone the League of Legends All-Stars had 18 Million+ people watching it.
This was addressed in my post toward Z, about paring them with true great athletes, and a way to fix this would have been to add a clause for "Professional X". X being gamer, or chess player, or what have you. People would have accepted that, and it wouldn't have been insulting to athletes around the world.

By skipping those that page you missed the fact that I stated, I prefer Professional Gamer over Athlete. Same applies to Chess players.
I honestly think you need to go back and reread my initial quote of you. I'll repost my "note" for you to see it:

To follow up on that, I'd also like to show those definitions that I was going on about, and why athlete isn't the term that should be used. This isn't directed towards you, but more so to help explain why this just shouldn't happen.

Athlete - A person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Those last 2 I already posted. However I felt that adding them again would show why the term 'e-sport' also doesn't really fit the bill, and why as we both agreed, the term should remain "Professional Gamer".

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, according to the definition gamers can be considered athletes as they need both agility and stamina. Considering its sports or games, league players would qualify there. As for exerting muscles, the brain is a pretty big one.

๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Exerting your muscles to keep fit. Working your brain alone doesn't keep one fit. One also doesn't need agility to be a video game player, on a professional level or not.

EDIT: I'd like to also add that "game" is not the same as "video game". Granted, it could be argued that they share many of the same qualities when it comes to interaction with other people, the physical side of it is extremely different.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Exerting your muscles to keep fit. Working your brain alone doesn't keep one fit. One also doesn't need agility to be a video game player, on a professional level or not.

EDIT: I'd like to also add that "game" is not the same as "video game". Granted, it could be argued that they share many of the same qualities when it comes to interaction with other people, the physical side of it is extremely different.
So you're saying the person who hits the button faster than the other doesn't matter? Fighting games are all about timing and agility of the hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom