Dragon Ball Z Movie 2013

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While it's a valid POV, I'm under a different impression. Mainly because "Ultimate" visibly has two states itself. The normal one is pretty much base Gohan, just with fully outlined eyes. The "powered-up one", as I call it, is when his eyes get all serious (never round-like) and instead of one normal and one single-lined bang, there's only one bang left hanging over his forehead and it's visibly pushed up. It apparently even switches the side it's hanging on. It's a trait of SS3 (comparison made to Goku, who also has a bang left as a SS3).

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Gohan only goes SS (for whatever the hell reason) during the ritual in which he lends Goku his power. The problem with Gohan going SS is that back in the Boo arc when Gohan's power unlocking ritual was done and he asked the Elder Kaioshin how can he become this "mightiest warrior", the Elder Kaioshin told him to do something similar to going SS. And with that, Gohan became "Ultimate", which supposedly gives him a SS in base form. So going by this, Gohan shouldn't be able to go SS because in a way, he's already a SS (SS3, even).
This!
If you tell someone that their new powerup has succeeded and this person does not know how to enter the new "ultimate" state, and you tell him to bluntly go Super Saiyan-like. How would that person be able to ever go to Super Saiyan. If the form of access has switched from Super Saiyan to Ultimate via the same channel, how does that person ever turn Super Saiyan again?

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I for one didn't like the movie as much. Sure it was good looking but felt rushed in some parts, also don't like how I wasn't boiled over some things for eg. how easily Vegeta put his pride down and made a fool of himself, compared to how long and how frustrated he was in the original DBZ anime whenever he had to do things that would go against his pride. Could of easily done without the whole Pilaf thing and had more time to boil us over things to bring greater impact. I also HATE how Gods have no power level. Makes no sense as the whole series ever since DB was pretty much based on this! The whole DB Universe is based on Power Levels and Ki and these "God" characters don't have any! I also hated the look of the SSJG form as it seems like a weaker version of a SSJ4 to me or some sort of Kaio-Ken on steroids.... The aura effects were also ugly IMO nevermind the red eyes. Also, while the effects were cool and all, as a continuation of the DBZ series I felt as if they did an incredibly poor job at portraying the powers they had through the impact on their surroundings while fighting. Hell, in the Buu saga Goku couldn't fight Kid Buu anywhere near any planets because they would have destroyed them in the process hence why they went to Supreme Kai's world if I remember correctly. And here we have 2 "Gods" battling it out no problem AROUND A FREAKIN' CITY!!

Saying all of that I am still glad that Dragon Ball is seeing a much welcomed "reboot" and it is also nice to see it rise in popularity again :). So far though I refuse to regard this movie as part of DBZ per say. Perhaps a spinoff or new series yes.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
This!
If you tell someone that their new powerup has succeeded and this person does not know how to enter the new "ultimate" state, and you tell him to bluntly go Super Saiyan-like. How would that person be able to ever go to Super Saiyan. If the form of access has switched from Super Saiyan to Ultimate via the same channel, how does that person ever turn Super Saiyan again?
What's stopping him from doing the same thing again and using the transformation? Or going to SSJ2?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
The whole DB Universe is based on Power Levels and Ki and these "God" characters don't have any!
This really didn't bother me, for a start, considering that Power Levels as themselves are a major plot hole in the series. They are incredibly arbitrary to each new character that Goku meets. I'm quite happy for it to escalate to a level where the PLs can be done away with.

IFlip92 said:
And here we have 2 "Gods" battling it out no problem AROUND A FREAKIN' CITY!!
I'd assume that's because the Gods can control their energy better. They don't have ridiculous amounts of energy flowing off them and wasted, they focus it on their opponent.

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok so i watched it last night and yeah it was good. Not super good but ok. At sometimes it felt like a special or something. I also had the feeling it was kinda short.
Can't say i loved the SS God appearance but it wasn't terrible either.
Overall ....8/10 from me.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one didn't like the movie as much.
You're not alone. Although I've only seen it in Japanese and didn't understand a thing they said, I'd say it's better than some of the prior DB/Z/GT movies, but definitely not the best.

Sure it was good looking but felt rushed in some parts
Funny how they still managed to not give SS2/3 lightning sparks. Anyway, while it did have quality, I didn't particulary like the artstyle itself.

also don't like how I wasn't boiled over some things for eg. how easily Vegeta put his pride down and made a fool of himself, compared to how long and how frustrated he was in the original DBZ anime whenever he had to do things that would go against his pride.
Yes, many agree that Vegeta was out of character. We even have him regarded to as a "righteous" Saiyan. It doesn't necessarily mean pure-hearted, but SSG is supposedly made of really good Saiyans' ki combination. And I really can't see Vegeta as being very good, he's just not evil enough to really be considered a bad guy, as he doesn't really hold a threat to anyone anymore. (During the 28th Tankaichi Budokai, he just knocks some guy down for calling him an old man. That's not "very good" in my book.)

I also HATE how Gods have no power level. Makes no sense as the whole series ever since DB was pretty much based on this! The whole DB Universe is based on Power Levels and Ki and these "God" characters don't have any!
They have divine ki. It's something better than the usual ki, though the mortals can't sense it.

Hell, in the Buu saga Goku couldn't fight Kid Buu anywhere near any planets because they would have destroyed them in the process hence why they went to Supreme Kai's world if I remember correctly. And here we have 2 "Gods" battling it out no problem AROUND A FREAKIN' CITY!!
Pure Boo sort of destroyed the Earth, Goku just teleported everyone out to the Kaioshin Realm in time.

Saying all of that I am still glad that Dragon Ball is seeing a much welcomed "reboot" and it is also nice to see it rise in popularity again :). So far though I refuse to regard this movie as part of DBZ per say. Perhaps a spinoff or new series yes.
I consider BOG (along with GT) to be a part of the anime version of DB, which only derives from the source material but has some big changes (with plotholes and such, which don't make BOG & GT look as bad next to it), but I can't see BOG happening in the original, manga's history.

What's stopping him from doing the same thing again and using the transformation? Or going to SSJ2?
The fact that going SS just makes him "Ultimate". And he's already "Ultimate", thus nothing happens (or he just goes into the powered-up state).

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Anyway, while it did have quality, I didn't particulary like the artstyle itself.
This, this, and this. I ******* hate the style of Tadayoshi Yamamuro, the current go-to guy for animation regarding DBZ. It's a shame his work has actually degraded since the 90s.

I still enjoyed the movie nonetheless, seeing past it. I liked the color palette that SSJG Goku switches to when he transforms.

Best answers
yeah ssj 2 definitely didn't have the sparks, this is gohan vs majin dabura all over again lawl

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Sorry for bumping this topic guys but i thought it was a good movie to watch! I suppose in a way its a bit like today's WWE where we used to have the old WWF attitude era in which we all grew up by and enjoyed.. thus making us hardcore fans! then it went all PG and child friendly. I still love how close this has been designed to making the power-levels relevant though. Forgive my judgement but i reckon this will be just a part 1 of whats to come.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
English Subs yes, But Dub I don't think so yet other than Fan Dubs.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It's unrealistic to expect an English dub of Battle of Gods soon. I expect it after DBZ Kai in the Buu saga is done.

Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
That movie sucks imo.. They're just trying to force it and it doesn't work, even tho Beerus was awesome :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I loved it. Gohan getting smacked around/being useless is basically a staple in DBZ, ever notice that?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoyed this movie quite a lot. It showed that not only Goku couldn't defeat everyone (Once again), but it showed that there is much more out there than what was shown. It showed that the possibilities are endless. Just as Dragon Ball Multiverse does.

Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
its coming in north america to 5-10th august in limited theaters
its coming next month to the rest of europe full release (spain.portugal, italy and france had it already)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom